Let's All Support Stan

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's be totally real.
Ever since this became a topic on AZB three things are SUPER CLEAR.
1. No pro who publicly says he uses CTE is ever considered credible.
2. No amatuer who says they improved because of using CTE is believed.
3. Any pro who says they don't use any aiming system is considered very credible. (bonus if the pro knocked aiming systems)
----------------

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
UNLESS that pool player uses and endorses "Poolology"
Then that pool player is considered to be just so "forward looking", so considerate, so open minded to all points of view, so aware and tolerant of scientific studies, and borders on being a genius.
:shrug:

Nice baiting. Lol. Poolology has another 20yrs to catch up with CTE. But I like the way you think, sometimes.
:grin:

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, Aiming systems revs' up emotions as much as oil & tire 'discussions' on my motorcycle forums!
It got so bad the moderator's filtered out any mention of Amsoil!

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
OMG, Aiming systems revs' up emotions as much as oil & tire 'discussions' on my motorcycle forums!

LOL that is funny that the mods filter out a product. What I think is funny is that you can talk about using other aiming methods/systems and you might get a little rise out of some people but as soon as you mention CTE it like you dumped holy water on a demon.

What I think is interesting is that all aiming systems have one thing in common, that is you have to hit the object ball at the correct spot to make the ball. What system we use is irrelevant.

Everyone is different in how the see things, ETC. I can see/use many of the aiming systems, but for the life of me I just don't see or able to visualize the Ghost Ball, does that mean it is not a viable system or other can't see because I can't? No. It just means that Ghost Ball aiming doesn't work for me. I know how to teach it and do because that's what some students can see and struggle with the others.

No matter what system you use a player must practice it in order for it to work.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Lol. It is quite entertaining how quickly things escalate anytime certain people express different opinions or beliefs here. Glad to hear it's not just this forum.

I remember someone here saying that aiming systems are like religious indoctrinations, where varying opinions are not welcome, not tolerated, and should be met with quick and extreme opposition, which involves personal attacks, name calling, and belittling. Apparently there's a 20+yr war going on. Every now and then a thread may seem good and constructive, but it's always one comment from slipping back into the war.

Hopefully Stan Shuffett's CTE book will bring a ceasefire, or better yet a final end to all the bs.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
LOL that is funny that the mods filter out a product. What I think is funny is that you can talk about using other aiming methods/systems and you might get a little rise out of some people but as soon as you mention CTE it like you dumped holy water on a demon.

What I think is interesting is that all aiming systems have one thing in common, that is you have to hit the object ball at the correct spot to make the ball. What system we use is irrelevant.

Everyone is different in how the see things, ETC. I can see/use many of the aiming systems, but for the life of me I just don't see or able to visualize the Ghost Ball, does that mean it is not a viable system or other can't see because I can't? No. It just means that Ghost Ball aiming doesn't work for me. I know how to teach it and do because that's what some students can see and struggle with the others.

No matter what system you use a player must practice it in order for it to work.

Great post!

I was told by Tom Rossman (Dr. Cue) that ghostball is the only/best method to teach. He said that's all he teaches. We were discussing my book in comparison to traditional learning methods, and we disagreed on this subject. He is a great guy, very passionate about pool, very enthusiastic and entertaining. I have much respect for him, but I think your ideas are more open to the reality of how people actually learn.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. It is quite entertaining how quickly things escalate anytime certain people express different opinions or beliefs here. Glad to hear it's not just this forum.
I remember someone here saying that aiming systems are like religious indoctrinations, where varying opinions are not welcome, not tolerated, and should be met with quick and extreme opposition, which involves personal attacks, name calling, and belittling. Apparently there's a 20+yr war going on. Every now and then a thread may seem good and constructive, but it's always one comment from slipping back into the war.
Hopefully Stan Shuffett's CTE book will bring a ceasefire, or better yet a final end to all the bs.
-----------------------

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$100 says you know exactly what video I'm talking about. You just throw out your one liners denying everything so it looks like you are the wise one to newcomers reading these threads. I guess that's why you do that, not sure. God forbid you let one of us have an opinion that goes unchallenged or "uninsulted."

I remember you doing a video and thinking you solved world peace. I also remember that hardly anyone agreed with you or even cared about your video.

PS you want to give an opinion on CTE go right ahead. But you should stop embarrassing yourself and from now on give an educated opinion about it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UNLESS that pool player uses and endorses "Poolology"
Then that pool player is considered to be just so "forward looking", so considerate, so open minded to all points of view, so aware and tolerant of scientific studies, and borders on being a genius.
:shrug:

You'd have to go to amazon for that endorsement

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember you doing a video and thinking you solved world peace. I also remember that hardly anyone agreed with you or even cared about your video.

PS you want to give an opinion on CTE go right ahead. But you should stop embarrassing yourself and from now on give an educated opinion about it.

Let me ask Mike if it is OK to reopen a scientific discussion of CTE, since you mentioned it, and I'll get back to you.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CTE is the standard that other systems are compared to. When is the last time someone talked about an aiming system without mentioning CTE? Lots of jealousy going around.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
:shakehead:
Maybe the easter bunny will show up too.
Your HOPE(?) is doomed to failure.
The anti-StanShuffett posse in this place will still find something wrong, "look look I made a copy of the video", "nosconi would laugh at that", "it still isn't scientific", "I see no need in all this bull", "I just see the shot and fire it in", "ghost ball is best", "fractions are best", "HAMB is best", "90/90 is best", "poolology is best", etc. etc. etc.
ANYTHING to keep from admitting they have been wrong about Stan's work from the beginning.
Write this down, put it in your pipe and smoke it........the following will definitely happen.
When someone breaks that 526 high run (and it will happen), if the player should mention that CTE helped, was used, was even thought about during the play......the hater posse will cry out with:
"Noooooo that doesn't count. He used an unscientific aiming system and Mosconi didn't have or use that. All he had was ghostball, fractions, and hitting a million balls, so this guy cheated in breaking his 526 run. It's not fair, so that doesn't count because it isn't the same thing".
Stick around and watch it happen

This forum is a tiny fraction of the pool playing world. If Stan's book and "Truth Series" are good, no one here in this handful of players can really do anything to hurt it. That's the benefit of putting your work out there for a world wide opinion. There will always be a few negative reviews, but they don't amount to much in the big picture.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's not about hurting CTE. It's about deliberately hurting those who teach or advocate aiming systems and IN PARTICULAR, the incredibly nasty attacks against Hal and Stan perpetrated by a few here.

Aiming systems aren't going anywhere and they can only get more precise over time as more people adopt them and more minds analyze them and find ways to explain the methods and instructions.

My major issue is the naysayers who have literally made it almost their personal mission to conduct a war against aiming systems to the point that they enjoy warning people to stay away from them. Much like a stepping on something sharp, you don't do it often but when you do it hurts and has to be addressed. But in a way the naysayers are also partially responsible for fueling the interest. Without them there would be no aiming forum and the motivation to prove what is known in various mediums would be lacking. Because of the naysayers, hurtful and hateful that they have been, the conversations have continued far longer than they otherwise would have. They have forced people to examine all aspects of aiming to a much higher degree.

So at the end of the day the pool world is better off for having many recognized OBJECTIVE methods of aiming, from fairly simple such as 90/90 to kind of complicated (for some) like yours, to intense but very very accurate like CTE.

With that in mind I would give an award to the hateful naysayers. Although I believe that their motivation was purely negative it would not be right not to acknowledge that without their actions we wouldn't likely be as interested in aiming.

All that said, I can't believe none of them are going to take down that 5k freeroll Stan posted. Should be easy money considering that they have all claimed to know exactly how CTE does and does not work. Guess maybe their position isn't as strong as they thought.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

This is the man who tried to accuse Stan of steering.

Unfortunately for him other people have access to slow motion video capture as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THkFF7FBGBA

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Stan posted something interesting on FB some people in this thread might want to read. Could be $5k in it for you.
One of Stan's many "challenges", I assume - the kind that nobody ever wins or loses because it can never be agreed what the terms are.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the man who tried to accuse Stan of steering.

Unfortunately for him other people have access to slow motion video capture as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THkFF7FBGBA

I like the analysis, both yours and Dan's. But in my mind this whole video of Stan's is flawed simply because he keeps referring to that first shot as if it's a halfball hit, which he obviously spins in because it's not a halfball hit, as you even acknowledge. Little things like this (a professional instructor making simple errors in describing what he is doing) is what tarnishes the rest of what he is does in the video. There's room for doubt and speculation because he is so wrong from the start.

I do like where Stan says he doesn't care about the exact angle because it doesn't concern him when using CTE. But still, that whole halfball business puts the video into shady territory for most people trying to learn CTE.