Gold Crown 5 still not right!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
See from pix #2 and #4, When the guys tried to adjust the felt after they redid the seams for the slate, they pulled it so tight that it doesn't hug the curve of the pockets. where the curve is, its very tight with space between the felt and slate...

The more pix I take of the the table, the more issues I find. I feel like i got jipped... Having inexperience installer install my table. The local pool halls have tables that rolls better than mine...:mad:

Typical schlock for the homeowner that does not know the difference. As for local poolrooms...they don't necessarily use the best teks in town. Once again...move on and get it done right...you'll enjoy your 5...and you'll know who to use for future work. Sadly this is the process.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And btw, that pocket is horrid, with the shredded cloth.

I see you got a weird Cor, but a mechanic who cares would have shown up with new simonis, just in case...or let you know he is coming back to fix it.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, night be worth it for your next escalation be to eliminate the seller and deal directly with Brunswick. Guaranteed you aren't the first person to inform Brunswick the lawn furniture people aren't skilled enough to put the puzzle together right..

I would also go directly to brunswick. Brunswick doesnt want you complaining about the table. They may pay for an installer that knows what they are doing. Or they may kick dickwadfitness to do the right thing.
I have been in your position but they got it right the second time with a mechanic. The original installer forgot to fill holes on the playing surface of the slate, among other things

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would also go directly to brunswick. Brunswick doesnt want you complaining about the table. They may pay for an installer that knows what they are doing. Or they may kick dickwadfitness to do the right thing.
I have been in your position but they got it right the second time with a real mechanic. The first mechanic forgot to fill holes on the playing surface of the slate, among other things
Only problem is, there's no one at Brunswick that is going to take that call to complain, and Brunswick don't have table mechanics on their payroll.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only problem is, there's no one at Brunswick that is going to take that call to complain, and Brunswick don't have table mechanics on their payroll.
I think they (Brunswick Billiards, recently sold to a private equity firm) are operating under new owners as of now. Maybe they care more. Or less.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think they (Brunswick Billiards, recently sold to a private equity firm) are operating under new owners as of now. Maybe they care more. Or less.

Not hardly, they can't sell the billiards division of Brunswick because the tables are worthless without the Brunswick name, knockoffs are already being made and sold, but not with the name.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not hardly, they can't sell the billiards division of Brunswick because the tables are worthless without the Brunswick name, knockoffs are already being made and sold, but not with the name.
The Brunswick Billiards operation was folded into the Brunswick "life fitness" division shortly after they completely got rid of the bowling business, IIRC. The entire "life fitness" operation including Brunswick Billiards was sold. Here is part of a Chicago Tribune article from May 6th:

Brunswick Corp. has agreed to sell its Life Fitness exercise equipment division to New York private equity firm KPS Capital Partners for $490 million.

The deal, announced Monday, moves Brunswick’s entire fitness and recreation division — including Brunswick Billiards — into private hands, as the suburban Mettawa-based company focuses on its remaining portfolio of marine engines and boats.
I don't think the Brunswick Corporation has any billiard or bowling business, and I think they don't have any product named "Brunswick" so they probably don't care who uses the name for pool tables.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The Brunswick Billiards operation was folded into the Brunswick "life fitness" division shortly after they completely got rid of the bowling business, IIRC. The entire "life fitness" operation including Brunswick Billiards was sold. Here is part of a Chicago Tribune article from May 6th:

Brunswick Corp. has agreed to sell its Life Fitness exercise equipment division to New York private equity firm KPS Capital Partners for $490 million.

The deal, announced Monday, moves Brunswick’s entire fitness and recreation division — including Brunswick Billiards — into private hands, as the suburban Mettawa-based company focuses on its remaining portfolio of marine engines and boats.
I don't think the Brunswick Corporation has any billiard or bowling business, and I think they don't have any product named "Brunswick" so they probably don't care who uses the name for pool tables.

Here's the news release straight from Brunswick, no mention of their pool tables;

News Release

<<*Back

*View printer-friendly version

Brunswick Announces Sale of Fitness Business

METTAWA, Ill., May 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC) today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Fitness business to KPS Capital Partners, LP, a private investment firm, in an all-cash transaction for approximately $490 million.*

Following completion of the sale, Brunswick will be comprised solely of its global marine portfolio, which includes market-leading positions in propulsion, parts and accessories, boats and services.

“With the sale of the Fitness business, we sharpen our focus on Brunswick’s unique and formidable marine platform,” explained Brunswick Chief Executive Officer David Foulkes.* “Brunswick has an impressive stable of recognized and respected brands and offers the right products and services uniquely concentrated in growing and emerging marine market segments.* Brunswick is exceptionally positioned as a leader in the marine industry, and we are excited about the bright future ahead of us.”

The signing of this agreement is the culmination of a thorough process led by Brunswick directors Dave Everitt and Dave Singer that was designed to best position the Fitness business for the future and maximize value for Brunswick shareholders, according to Foulkes.

“As we considered avenues to separate our Fitness business, including a potential spin-off, we received strong buyer interest from a number of parties.* After thoughtful evaluation of a range of options and a robust auction process, we concluded this sale is the best outcome for Brunswick and our shareholders.* With some of the strongest brands and most accomplished people in the industry, the Fitness business is well positioned to succeed.* We thank our Fitness employees for their many contributions to Brunswick and wish them well in the future.”

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Here's the news release straight from Brunswick, no mention of their pool tables;

News Release

<<*Back

METTAWA, Ill., May 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC) today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Fitness business to KPS Capital Partners, LP, a private investment firm, in an all-cash transaction for approximately $490 million.*

Following completion of the sale, Brunswick will be comprised solely of its global marine portfolio, which includes market-leading positions in propulsion, parts and accessories, boats and services.

“With the sale of the Fitness business, we sharpen our focus on Brunswick’s unique and formidable marine platform,” explained Brunswick Chief Executive Officer David Foulkes.* “Brunswick has an impressive stable of recognized and respected brands and offers the right products and services uniquely concentrated in growing and emerging marine market segments.* Brunswick is exceptionally positioned as a leader in the marine industry, and we are excited about the bright future ahead of us.”

The signing of this agreement is the culmination of a thorough process led by Brunswick directors Dave Everitt and Dave Singer that was designed to best position the Fitness business for the future and maximize value for Brunswick shareholders, according to Foulkes.

“As we considered avenues to separate our Fitness business, including a potential spin-off, we received strong buyer interest from a number of parties.* After thoughtful evaluation of a range of options and a robust auction process, we concluded this sale is the best outcome for Brunswick and our shareholders.* With some of the strongest brands and most accomplished people in the industry, the Fitness business is well positioned to succeed.* We thank our Fitness employees for their many contributions to Brunswick and wish them well in the future.”

Damn, they sold the entity that they built everything off of. Only thing that means anything to them is money. Booo.

Trent Toledo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A "Life Fitness Gold Crown 7" just doesn't have much of a ring to it. It will be interesting following this to see just what unfolds. Diamond should just buy the rights to the Gold Crown and s^*t-can all the rest. I'd like an all-American made GC instead of one made from foreign-built sub-assemblies.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

News Release

<<*Back

It would be more surprising if Brunswick had mentioned any particular brand or item from the Fitness divisions, it not in their interest now that the division is sold. They just want to push the marine division.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was giving thought to a GC 6 next year. Didn’t sincerely love it anyway. The look is gone regardless. GC 4 was the last of fine tradition.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Was giving thought to a GC 6 next year. Didn’t sincerely love it anyway. The look is gone regardless. GC 4 was the last of fine tradition.

I’ve been playing on Brunswicks since I was a kid.
Monarch, Anniversary, and Gold Crown mainly.
So much of the good things that happened to me in pool were on these tables.
...I faded jacking up over pockets, name plates, score counters...even ashtrays..::eek:

But they lost me as a fan starting with the GCIIIs.
The IVs had improved pockets....but they didn’t go far enough..and the first ten I saw
installed, some lumber had to be added for extra support.

I read a long book years ago on the car industry...American Big Three vs Japanese...
...early 50s, the engineers in America lost control to the accountants.
The same thing happened to Brunswick...their decision makers can’t hit the end rail.

I was at the 2015 DCC....those Diamonds played as good as any table I ever played on.
...and Diamond is still concerned about how a table plays.
They aren’t perfect like I dream about...but they’re the best we got.

Rest In Peace, John Brunswick....you were a good man...but your legacy has been dishonoured.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

News Release
Yes, it's sad that Brunswick Corporation dumped the division that started them and didn't even name them.

I'm pretty sure the tables will continue to be called "Brunswick". The name is still recognized.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing on Brunswicks since I was a kid.
Monarch, Anniversary, and Gold Crown mainly.
So much of the good things that happened to me in pool were on these tables.
...I faded jacking up over pockets, name plates, score counters...even ashtrays..::eek:

But they lost me as a fan starting with the GCIIIs.
The IVs had improved pockets....but they didn’t go far enough..and the first ten I saw
installed, some lumber had to be added for extra support.

I read a long book years ago on the car industry...American Big Three vs Japanese...
...early 50s, the engineers in America lost control to the accountants.
The same thing happened to Brunswick...their decision makers can’t hit the end rail.

I was at the 2015 DCC....those Diamonds played as good as any table I ever played on.
...and Diamond is still concerned about how a table plays.
They aren’t perfect like I dream about...but they’re the best we got.

Rest In Peace, John Brunswick....you were a good man...but your legacy has been dishonoured.

Diamonds are probably THE table to own. Cannot not argue that. I can’t get past the look of it for a home table. The GC 5 the OP has will get set up properly and he’ll love it. I love my 4. It’s not perfect but I’m not that fine tuned to notice the little things a pro or A player would pick up on. I might look toward a totally restored GC from Blatt. It’s not a 1 2 3 or 4 when it’s done. Its a GC. A no number GC. Anyway back to the OP. His 5 is a beautiful table. Will enjoy using and pride of ownership. He made a great choice. Fortunately AZB is here to help out. Without AZB he would be calling/dealing with Brunswick with no finish line. Same here.

Last edited:

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
KPS acquisition

Yes, in May of this year, KPS Capital Partners acquired Brunswick Billiards.

Here is the press release:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...s-including-life-fitness-brand-863540215.html

Below are the first 2 paragraphs...
------------------------------------------

NEW YORK, May 6, 2019 /CNW/ -- KPS Capital Partners, LP ("KPS") announced today that, through a newly formed affiliate, it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the fitness business of Brunswick Corporation, including the Life Fitness brand ("Life Fitness" or the "Company"), for approximately $490 million in cash.

Life Fitness is the global leader in commercial fitness equipment and game tables. The Company manufactures and sells its strength and cardiovascular equipment and billiards tables and accessories under the brand names Life Fitness, Hammer Strength, Cybex, Indoor Cycling Group, SCIFIT and Brunswick Billiards. The Company's products are sold in more than 160 countries.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...s-including-life-fitness-brand-863540215.html

NEW YORK, May 6, 2019 /CNW/ -- KPS Capital Partners, LP ("KPS") announced today that, through a newly formed affiliate, it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the fitness business of Brunswick Corporation, including the Life Fitness brand ("Life Fitness" or the "Company"), for approximately $490 million in cash.

Life Fitness is the global leader in commercial fitness equipment and game tables. The Company manufactures and sells its strength and cardiovascular equipment and billiards tables and accessories under the brand names Life Fitness, Hammer Strength, Cybex, Indoor Cycling Group, SCIFIT and Brunswick Billiards. The Company's products are sold in more than 160 countries.

Read the quote I posted, dated May 6th, 2019. It starts out the same, right down to the 490 million, but then never mentions the billiards division, why are the two quotes different??

realkingcobra

Silver Member

See, here's the confusing part to me. I was at the BCA trade show last month and Brunswick was there as well. I talked with them and there was no mention of them being sold out, but they were interested in talking with me about making cloth glue down videos for them...why?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the quote I posted, dated May 6th, 2019. It starts out the same, right down to the 490 million, but then never mentions the billiards division, why are the two quotes different??

The two quotes are different because the first one was issued by Brunswick, who closed the chapter on those divisions and doesn't want to talk about them, and the second was issued by the buyer, who wants people to know all about what they just bought.