Break cues, bah humbug

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The trend for ever more expensive break cues doesn't seem to be going away any time soon, and some are even more expensive than most playing cues. Even players who couldn't crack an egg with their breaks seem to have 400 dollar breakcues these days...

Since I'm very curious about all pool related equipment, I've pretty much tried every one of the common ones. Funny thing..I can't really tell any difference between them when it comes to results. The construction methods of these cues are becoming ever more elaborate and exotic, no doubt inspired by golf clubs, but IMO not in any way emulating the results. Quite often the balance of these cues is awkward and different from the cues most people are using, which is why they can't get as accurate with them (IMO).

Everyone else seem to get "amazing":rolleyes: results with their expensive cues, but all I'm seeing is breaks out of control and cueballs flying everywhere etc..So what if you get more speed, when you cannot control the cueball worth a damn! The best breakers I know use either "playing type cues" or break cues that come the closest to a playing cue with harder tips. I'm not talking the hardest possible breaks here, but players who break hard and stop their cueball close to center every time, contacting both the object ball and the cueball squarely. Consistent cueball control at fairly hard speed. That's going to win you matches, not scratching or jumping off the table every 3-4 breaks...

Of course it's the most difficult thing to add power to a break, but with the magic racks etc, the huge power break is rarely even used. So you're sacrificing your control on 85% of your breaks for a barely noticable advantage on 15% (in my estimation). I'd love to see some numbers comparing not only the power, but the number of scratches and jumps off of the table. I think a lot of people might be surprised.

A break cue does have it's place, but I think it should be at least somewhat similar to a playing cue for good results (nice, even and forward balance for me), to you maybe somewhat close to what you play with (unless you use a very thin cue, obviously).

Last edited:

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a cheap Mike Massey Cuetec that I wasn't using. I put a phenolic tip on it, that's my break cue. I think it's insane to spend money on a dedicated break cue. The only reason I use the Cuetec is that I don't want to break with my Mezz.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a McD. Stinger J/B....paid $80 bucks on AZ five years ago........what a steal it turned out to be.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a poison cue, and I break with a slightly lighter poison cue with a hammerhead.

Really makes buying replacement shafts a lot simpler.

I also think on a barbox, there's an optimal speed to get the balls to spread evenly and it isn't very hard.

Any harder and things are just going to clump back together.

Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I picked up a Beautiful Cue from Jim Baxter several years ago. It came with a 30" Playing Shaft, a 29"
Break Shaft (Dark Old Growth), and a 29" Jump Shaft with Jump Butt that matches the Player.
I mostly use it as a Break Cue/Jump Cue Set, as my Main Player is a 60" Larry Vigus.

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a Beautiful Cue from Jim Baxter several years ago. It came with a 30" Playing Shaft, a 29"
Break Shaft (Dark Old Growth), and a 29" Jump Shaft with Jump Butt that matches the Player.
I mostly use it as a Break Cue/Jump Cue Set, as my Main Player is a 60" Larry Vigus.
Sounds like a very nice set up. It would be great to see a pic😃

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I finally purchased a break cue at the last SBE after 30 years of using my playing cue to break with and I couldn't be happier.
Bought a Lucasi Big Buelah 2 and I have no issue controling the cueball, I think Cueball control is a problem of the breaker not the Cue.
I would bet the OP has cueball issues when breaking with a normal cue, remember, sometimes you have to slow down to speed up. Give it a try and let us know:thumbup:
Good luck
Jason

Would like to add: I always broke with playing cue and normally they had Ivory ferrules(Szamboti, R Black, Searing, Ted Harris) I've had very few ferrules crack/break over the years and I break hard - definitely a good bit above average.
But that phenolic tip is the nuts!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A well made break cue want help you, unless you allready have good mechanics and an accurate stroke, that's true for all kind of poolcues. But IF you have good mechanics and hit the ball just where you want to. A good break cue and the right tip will make the most out of your game and break.
Having gone through all the break tips on the market and tested every production break cue on the market, I can say that there a huge differences in the results I'm able to achieve.
I know the "Shane is breaking with his Cuetec" will come, so just let me make it clear that I'm talking about us normal players. The pros can beat us with a broomstick, so they are in a different league than us mortals.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I use a break/ jump from Mike Gullyassy. Just over 17 ounces which is an ounce lighter than my player. The cue is 57" which is 3" shorter than my player.

The shorter length & lighter weight compared to my player works for me in a break cue. Wouldn't want to play with a cue that short nor break with a 60" which is what I play. Everyone's different, YMMV as a result.

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just use an old Cuetec jump\break cue. Typically make a ball and keep the cueball where I want it. What more could I ask for?

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a second generation OB with an Odega tip. This cue breaks awesome. Tried the new OB and it performs better, and jumps effortlessly full cue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk