Greatest cue makers

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thread hijacks are the norm on AZ

but this one asked for cues that were liely to grow in value

JACKPOT cues by Jack Potter might be a good example
Jack made about a dozen for me to sell on az, Jack and Johnny sanchez made a few
cues back in the 90s

To say they were good investments might be an understatement

Two more at $500 are available and this opprtunity will be over

The rest of the post inthe thread have been informative for the most part
if some one has had a mood swing because of my typical post

please forgive me and have

A merry christmas

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So see I’m in the boat of I like certain peoples work. Schick is one. I have two titlist and I want someone special to do one of them for me when I retire. 15 years from now so I have a super old cue that someone comes across it and is amazed. Resale has never worked for me but that is not a concern. I have learned. No cue has ever made me play better. I will say I have cues that I look at when I’m about to pick it up to shoot with and I’m like. Damn that thing is pretty. I contacted schick. Never heard back. I may he contacted the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I read that Bill is getting out of the pool hall biz...
...give him some time to set up his shop again....but keep calling

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think that Wes Hunter and Lambros cues will skyrocket once these guys retire.

Not a chance!

Everybody thinks "their" cuemakers cues will go up when they retire and it's simply not even remotely true.

Anybody think Barry's cues are gonna skyrocket in a few months when he retires? Not gonna happen and he is already a living legend.

Everybody thought their Scruggs was gonna go up big time when he died - still waiting for that to happen.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Whether his cues will go up in value only time will tell but one that should be in any conversation about greatest makers is Pete Tascarella. He is definately in the "group".

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a collector, but dang Tonkin makes a pretty cue. I wonder how cues from Thomas Wayne will age in value?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Not a chance!

Everybody thinks "their" cuemakers cues will go up when they retire and it's simply not even remotely true.

Anybody think Barry's cues are gonna skyrocket in a few months when he retires? Not gonna happen and he is already a living legend.

Everybody thought their Scruggs was gonna go up big time when he died - still waiting for that to happen.

Barry's cues are already getting hot to many since the news of his retirement. That alone solidifies the values and will even raise them imo.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about greatest but I am partial
to Paul Drexler, Brent Hartman, and Pat Diveney.
Beautiful cues that I cant see ever losing value.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Stroud Danny Janes Tim Scruggs. I still use their cues from the 70's. Excellent workmanship and they still play great, passing the test of time
For cuemakers that can still appreciate get a Tucker. TCW. He didnt make many cues. A lot of the quality cuemakers made a lot of cues. Dont see those appreciating anytime soon.

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whether his cues will go up in value only time will tell but one that should be in any conversation about greatest makers is Pete Tascarella. He is definately in the "group".

Pete Tascarella cues are ALSO SUPERBLY CRAFTED !
I always enjoy talking to Pete on the phone-
Always a perfect gentleman and a true class act in cue-making ;)

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wes Hunter and Chris Nitti, best hitting cues and the 2 nicest cue makers you could ever work with, I would buy a cue from them if I were looking to build a new cue.
Tom

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very big difference between inflationary increase in the price of an item as time passes and price increases due to DEMAND for and PERCEIVED value of an item. So a $30 Viking cue from 1980 you may sell for $300 today - that is inflationary cost increase - because if $300 today can only generally buy what cost $30 in 1980 then the cue you bought for $30 in 1980 did not appreciate in dollar value. When you sell the $30 cue today for $300, you still have only $30 of 1980 buying power in your hands!
Certain custom cue makers over the past 30 years have had actual market prices increase much faster and higher than inflation adjusted rates, and much higher than some of their fellow custom cue makers. How to predict if ANY custom cue that you buy TODAY, will appreciate above normal inflation rates, in true sellable market value ; is impossible to predict, but fun to discuss, as this post suggests!

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Member Tikkler had an eye for what was collectable, his collection was like one of the best. I miss him posting photos of his latest additions.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There is a very big difference between inflationary increase in the price of an item as time passes and price increases due to DEMAND for and PERCEIVED value of an item. So a $30 Viking cue from 1980 you may sell for $300 today - that is inflationary cost increase - because if $300 today can only generally buy what cost $30 in 1980 then the cue you bought for $30 in 1980 did not appreciate in dollar value. When you sell the $30 cue today for $300, you still have only $30 of 1980 buying power in your hands!

Still, you bought a good playing cue for $30...used it for forty years and sold it for $300. That's a very sweet deal in my book. YMMV

I would have been satisfied if I had gotten forty years of use out of it and never had gotten another penny out of it. I would have gotten W-A-A-A-Y more use out of that $30 than I would have ever anticipated.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :cool:

Maniac

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Murray Tucker cues will hold their value if not appreciate.

He didn't make a great number of cues and he isn't making any now.

They have a following and are hard to come by.

Tucker Cue Works motto: “Harder to get than a Searing