TSA not allowing cues on planes?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the prevalent guidance is to check your cues. Place your cues in a hard case and nest that case in softer luggage like a duffle bag to conceal the fact that you’re transporting items of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s been the policy for years. I refuse to check in my SW when I go to Vegas. I take a back up cue.

middleofnowhere

Registered
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

This is far from new. I haven't traveled playing in quite a few years but. I had a nice cue I could play with that I didn't worry about putting in with luggage just for flying. To be honest I thought this had changed some time back as it relates to pool cues. 911 changed everything. Years ago I was traveling and was sitting next to a guy with a whose carry on was a display case full of knives. He was coming back from a show.
How things have changed.
Actually I began playing full time with my travel cue. It was a cheap SP that played better then cues I had that cost 10 x as much.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the prevalent guidance is to check your cues. Place your cues in a hard case and nest that case in softer luggage like a duffle bag to conceal the fact that you’re transporting items of value.

I agree100%

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.
No big deal, just use a house cue when you get there.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem. Just tuck an Airsoft replica 1911 into your belt before going through the TSA checkpoint. By the time the confusion clears and they give you your clothes back the cue will be waiting for you at the other end of the screening station. Apparently, most TSA employees are only able to handle one thing at a time. :grin:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure that airplane traveling pros have a system down for how they transport their expensive cues. perhaps many just sent it ahead to a trusted receiver using an insured mailing system - perhaps Fed Ex overnight etc.

Most infrequent air travelers who own expensive customs but want a cue for their final temporary destination are using back up less expensive cues that are placed in inexpensive back up cue cases inside larger checked bags. I have used this route without problems.

I would not do this with the more expensive customs; if I HAD to have one with me; i would ship it ahead to a trusted receiver via Fed Ex or insured priority mail. Nothing that leaves your hands is ever truly guaranteed to arrive - but you can take proper sensible caution.

Not allowing billiard cues on an airplane is a perfect example of government being the worst solution for most problems or situations in our lives. Did someone in TSA "really" envision the headline- plane hijacked with pool cue?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
two good options.

mail it ahead of time
pack it securely in luggage. yes you have to pay a little more.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
If memory serves me, I think it was year 2013 when I read pool cues were removed from "black list" by TSA. Not so sure about baseball bats though, but do we pool players care? :grin:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just a traveling banger and mostly I ride a motorcycle so I carry 3 piece cue. If I did fly with a cue it would be with a SP that matches my more expensive cue. If you stay within the same brand or maker it's pretty easy to have a set that feels the same.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Only place I would consider flying with a nice cue would be Vegas. Then book a charter, there are always charters to LV. No worries.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pick up a travel case that fits over your playing case. I've traveled dozens of time over the years and the only hiccup I had was going into Newark NJ. My cues didn't come out of the baggage chute. I looked around and there was a small room with a sign that said oversized baggage. I checked in there and found the cues. I grabbed them and nobody checked my I.D. :eek:

The other tip is to be sure that you are at the bag carousel before they unload so that you can grab them before anyone else has a chance.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I am sure that airplane traveling pros have a system down for how they transport their expensive cues. perhaps many just sent it ahead to a trusted receiver using an insured mailing system - perhaps Fed Ex overnight etc.

Most infrequent air travelers who own expensive customs but want a cue for their final temporary destination are using back up less expensive cues that are placed in inexpensive back up cue cases inside larger checked bags. I have used this route without problems.

I would not do this with the more expensive customs; if I HAD to have one with me; i would ship it ahead to a trusted receiver via Fed Ex or insured priority mail. Nothing that leaves your hands is ever truly guaranteed to arrive - but you can take proper sensible caution.

Not allowing billiard cues on an airplane is a perfect example of government being the worst solution for most problems or situations in our lives. Did someone in TSA "really" envision the headline- plane hijacked with pool cue?

pros don't have expensive cue they are POOL pros not pros of a sport that actually pays:grin: