One Pocket

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you address the cueball to make it three rails In the corner ... your pocket is the top right hand pocket ... Only good one pocket players comments please ... no guessing or assuming ... thanks in advance

Attachments

• A4BD0C08-0378-4407-9AE4-68088D281E07.jpg
    A4BD0C08-0378-4407-9AE4-68088D281E07.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 619

Karate

Do you expect me to post?
Silver Member
???

I see a 5 ball almost straight in the top right corner pocket as the picture appears on the screen...So, your question is a little confusing.
If you 3 rail that 5 ball it's going up table above the kitchen line.

I'll be back to see if you have cleared up your question....
or to see if I've missed your point.....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I see a 5 ball almost straight in the top right corner pocket as the picture appears on the screen...So, your question is a little confusing.
If you 3 rail that 5 ball it's going up table above the kitchen line.

I'll be back to see if you have cleared up your question....
or to see if I've missed your point.....

Same here...that is confusing,
If you want to bank it in the lower right pocket, for some reason, put right english on whitey.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel the two biggest variables are the table and the stroke speed. On Diamond tables if you shoot this with a snappy speed it will shorten way up. At pocket speed it can lengthen out and float towards the side. For this reason I use feel on this shot. I would use a twist of right spin but nothing crazy. Mostly just a good smooth speed to get it to the pocket with confidence.

On Gold Crowns I might have to cut it towards the side rail slightly to get it to shorten enough. I don't play on those much but I know they go much longer off the third rail.

Bottom line, it's so table and speed sensitive you just have to shoot the shot a few dozen times and you'll have a good feel for it. But yes, I believe a hair of right does help the ball run around the rails.

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks ... The person who shot this thought left hand English was the right way ... I told him he needed right English to open it up ..

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am confused
If my pocket is the top right corner pocket looking at where the rack is why don’t you just shoot for five hours straight in?
Can you clarify what buck pocket we’re trying to go three rails to?
If it’s to the other pocket on the left he would go to side rail short rail head rail to the pocket

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I am confused

If my pocket is the top right corner pocket looking at where the rack is why don’t you just shoot for five hours straight in?

Can you clarify what buck pocket we’re trying to go three rails to?

If it’s to the other pocket on the left he would go to side rail short rail head rail to the pocket
He had to correct himself and stated the bottom right pocket is his even though the rack and head string line would suggest otherwise.

The advice given is spot on though. Just a touch of outside because the ball will gather more spin off of the 2 last rails and open the angle up.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2:no one answered me and i shot AT THE WRONG POCKET....
azb 3 rail.png

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My pocket would be bottom right .... Thanks

I'm thinking that no english would be best from this angle.

I'd just hit the ball a little *more* than full, with speed being the most important variable.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer five rails from there:) but one rail is best. Unless your playing for the wrong pocket

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless that's the only object ball on the table, you need to consider where you want to leave the cue ball.

If the leave is not a consideration, you should play the shot the way that feels right to you. If you have no feeling for the shot, play it as simply as possible and note your result for next time.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a diamond table I would bank one rail. The object ball should turn nicely off the top rail. The make % is quite a bit higher for the 1-railer.

If the object ball were closer to the long rail, the 3-railer would become a better / the only option. As others have suggested, you’d want to open up the OB off the 2nd and 3rd rail, especially on an old cloth so a touch of right would transfer a left spin to the OB and open it up for your pocket.

On a new cloth I would play just a bottom on the CB as the OB will slide off the third rail anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
On a diamond table I would bank one rail. The object ball should turn nicely off the top rail. The make % is quite a bit higher for the 1-railer.

If the object ball were closer to the long rail, the 3-railer would become a better / the only option. As others have suggested, you’d want to open up the OB off the 2nd and 3rd rail, especially on an old cloth so a touch of right would transfer a left spin to the OB and open it up for your pocket.

On a new cloth I would play just a bottom on the CB as the OB will slide off the third rail anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. Easy to execute and manage the cue ball without worrying about a collision.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more speed you use the shorter the bank will go (in other longer on the short rail). At the angle that the shot is on it will tend to hit around the middle of the short rail and that will also go more towards the side pocket than the bottom corner. So yes you need to right english so that the ball will spin more out of the corner pocket area which will send it on the proper angle towards the bottom corner. Speed and feel help. so in other words the angle you need to make it into the corner pocket is closer the corner pocket. and right english puts left spin on the object ball putting it on the proper angle. The farther it goes on the short rail (in other longer on the short rail) the more it goes towards the side pocket.

So yea you got it. you were right!

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also play the 1 rail.

I could keep the cue ball out of the way and not leave a sell out bank to his pocket with the cue ball up table.

Ken

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would also play the 1 rail. ...
Since there seems to be some confusion, I have redrawn the diagram showing the path of the five ball to the OP's pocket with the table markings in the correct orientation.

I have further clarified the drawing by showing the 2 ball which was omitted from the original drawing for simplicity. The 2 ball obviously makes the 1 rail shot much more difficult.;)

So.... The OP's question actually was: "What is the best way to play the 5 ball three cushions as shown to go along more or less the indicated path to the indicated pocket?"

CropperCapture[568].jpg