Makes me want to quit

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sell a cue for 320, guy says he wants to return because it has a "rink" when it hits the cue ball. Yes, i ask 3 times a rink. Then he tells me the linen fiber ring has a crack in it. I tell him to return cue and as soon as i get it, ill refund his paypal.
I get a package from him empty, no tape on the end of box, both ends open, and no insurance. Post office tells me to have him file an inqurie. By the time i get home paypal has refunded his money because the post office had delivered the empty box.
I text him, he he doesnt care whether or not the cue got here paypal rwfunded his money.
Paypal tells me to go to police dept, file a stolen cue report, and send them a copy and yhey will look into it. I file report, then sheriff tells me i cannot have a copy of the report.

All of this over a rink in the cue, and i still dont know, what is a rink ?

Attachments

• 20180329_105557.jpg
    20180329_105557.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 681
  • 20180329_105615.jpg
    20180329_105615.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 678
  • 20180329_105608.jpg
    20180329_105608.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 678
  • 20180329_105612.jpg
    20180329_105612.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 683

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It sucks but it happens. I have lost several cues through the years. It makes my blood boil but there's really nothing to be done except eat the loss. Ups, USPS, and FedEx all make it nearly impossible to successfully execute a claim. Dhl is the only company that stood by their insurance and immediately made me whole. Having fought with the others to no end, I'd like to tell you it'll work out in the end. But IMO you got shafted and have pretty much no hope, so forget it and press on. Part of the business we're in:angry:

PhysicsGuyBrian

Registered
Man that is terrible! People can be horrible sometimes.

First, I would advise to never refund until you've received your item in the return mail and have checked it out.

Second, always insist on insured return mail. You can do this by issuing customer a printable return prepaid postage label via email. Then take the cost out of customer refund as per policy.

Third, consider exposing his name to protect others.

I am sorry this happened to you but don't quit. Instead, take control of everything!

Take Care!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
consider exposing his name to protect others.

Why would he do that? Protect others from what? The guy bought a brand new cue directly from the maker and it arrived broken & noisy. Nobody has yet bothered to ask exactly how that happened. As if paying for broken junk doesn't hurt bad enough, his refund comes at the cost of the builder mocking him on a public forum with pictures of his name on the label. Now the mob is forming to pile on him as if it's his fault the post office lost the cue. No doubt the maker will blame the broken cue on the post office, so how is it not fair that the buyer blame the lost cue on the post office? Double standards?

The guy got his refund and is done, IMO. He's probably happy to be out of the deal & may likely never buy a custom cue ever again because of the sour experience of not only receiving junk, but also being mocked in public as if he did something wrong. It's bad enough for both parties to be dealing with something like this. It is especially bad for the builder to blame the buyer, make a public scene of it, and allow the mob to pile on to the guy.

And custom makers complain the the market sucks, nobody buys cues :rolleyes: May as well cut off your nose to spite your face.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Got news for everyone.
Sending cues via USPS isn't so safe these days.
Specially sending them internationally .

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man that is terrible! People can be horrible sometimes.

First, I would advise to never refund until you've received your item in the return mail and have checked it out.

Second, always insist on insured return mail. You can do this by issuing customer a printable return prepaid postage label via email. Then take the cost out of customer refund as per policy.

Third, consider exposing his name to protect others.

I am sorry this happened to you but don't quit. Instead, take control of everything!

Take Care!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The pics show the labels one from and the other to, I would think this identifies the parties involved

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Desi
What I would of done before posting is check the label on
shipping box for the weight when box was shipped. I've heard
of people shipping empty packages. Not saying he did.
Post office always weighs packages.
That will tell you if cue was in package when shipped.
If you can't find it on box.You can weigh empty box as is and or
have post office decipher the label and go from there.
You might have a case with PayPal if cue wasn't in
package when shipped. But most likely it was.
Either way GL
Mike

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Desi
Either way GL
Mike
$10 for postage is a big clue to me.

JC

Coos Cues
Why would he do that? Protect others from what? The guy bought a brand new cue directly from the maker and it arrived broken & noisy. Nobody has yet bothered to ask exactly how that happened. As if paying for broken junk doesn't hurt bad enough, his refund comes at the cost of the builder mocking him on a public forum with pictures of his name on the label. Now the mob is forming to pile on him as if it's his fault the post office lost the cue. No doubt the maker will blame the broken cue on the post office, so how is it not fair that the buyer blame the lost cue on the post office? Double standards?

The guy got his refund and is done, IMO. He's probably happy to be out of the deal & may likely never buy a custom cue ever again because of the sour experience of not only receiving junk, but also being mocked in public as if he did something wrong. It's bad enough for both parties to be dealing with something like this. It is especially bad for the builder to blame the buyer, make a public scene of it, and allow the mob to pile on to the guy.

And custom makers complain the the market sucks, nobody buys cues :rolleyes: May as well cut off your nose to spite your face.

It may have arrived broken and noisy or it may not have. At least it arrived. More than can be said for the return trip. Is the guy a whiner or a scammer? Or was this all just bad circumstance? We will probably never know for sure. If I was betting man I would bet on that yes, the guy is likely jinky with this BS about rink.

Here's what a quick web search turned up on this "citizen"

Any takers on my bet offer? I will offer some weight on it.

Starkey got scammed. Plain and simple.

Screenshot (10).jpg

JC

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Buyer stated it was noisy and had a broken ring. No mention if pictures were exchanged showing broken ring. Just because the buyer says it was noisy doesn't mean it was, and refund was promised upon receipt of cue and inspected, but the buyer jumped the gun and had paypal refund him....not cool. Cue was supposedly sent back, but empty box was received.....with no tape on the ends, how convenient. Now, how is that the Maker's fault? If it's a scam, like it sure sounds like, letting people know about the guy can help others avoid him. Seems like he already has a shady past by JC's post. Plus from my experience, sending a cue priority from Ma to Mo area is more than $10.
Dave

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Desi
Either way GL
Mike

From what I can see the weight is listed as "1LB 19Oz"

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry your going thru this Mr. Starkey. I met this person a couple of weeks ago. Seemed like a good kid but I don't know him. The joint was cracked.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least it didn't "dink". Then it would be well, you know, rinky-dink. Sorry, couldn't pass this one up. ;)

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Who issues a refund without having the return in hand ?
Wouldn't you want to at least SEE the complaint issue before refunding.
This isn't your first go-round at being in business.
Did you give refunds for diamonds that you never got back ?
I feel for you but you did this to yourself.

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$10 for postage is a big clue to me.

What I meant to add also.
Does this add up to the weight of cue plus packaging
or was something else sent instead. The old bate and switch.
and by not taping package setting it up to fall out somewhere down
the line.