Tip Deflection Question??????????????

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a talk today about if a harder tip gives less deflection
or a softer one.
A few guys said softer tips gives less deflection and few thought hard.
I personally thought a hard tip gives less deflection cause it leaves
the cue on immediate contact after striking the cueball.

Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want the answer from actual studies of it, check out Dr. Daves material. If you just want other opinions, I'm sure they will be forthcoming.

lewisspires

Hopeful Champion
I'm with Neil. Deflection has more to do with the shaft than tip, but, he's right it's all a matter of opinion.

Check out Dr. Dave

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Based on how hard break tips react I would assume that hard tips deflect more. Not much but more. i don't have any hard data but I'm sure the doctor knows definitively.

Nick

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal opinion was that deflection was based on shaft end mass, so a soft tip vs. a hard tip wouldn't matter much. My personal opinion, however, is just that... and I could be completely wrong. :)

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I am in the camp that expects soft tips, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, to generate less squirt, but the effect would be small compared to tip mass.
I have no experimental data to back my opinion.
I think the experiments have NOT found a measurable difference.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
or a softer one.

There are at least two theories that argue both sides. And I've hashed them out for over 15 years, so I won't again (much). Seeing the test results are way better.

In the end, if there's a difference, the two theories are opposed (physically and theoretically) to each other and the absolute difference should end up with about equal amounts of squirt. Not exactly equal, but we're talking some minuscule amounts.

The universe is interesting in that way, although this isn't quite the same as some conservation of energy equation.

Freddie <~~~ and you can check out test results at Dr. Dave's

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Stop worrying about it............ It won't make a difference in your game either way. Learn to play with the cue that's in your hand............... practice........... All cues deflect and all cue balls squirt........... some more than others.............

Kim

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or a softer one.

deflection is the same for any tip, it is the steering of CB what makes the difference. It is complicated subject, but it is at times the difference is so small it does not effect pocketing for pool, but it does for snooker.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop worrying about it............ It won't make a difference in your game either way. Learn to play with the cue that's in your hand............... practice........... All cues deflect and all cue balls squirt........... some more than others.............

Kim

My game is fine, I'm not worrying about that. It was a general discussion as a bunch
of us were just shootin the poop. :)

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member

Kim

That is some sage advice.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Shocking as it may seem, some will still ignore your advice, continue to look for excuses and placebos.

Kim

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shocking as it may seem, some will still ignore your advice, continue to look for excuses and placebos.
I'm not sure if I'm typing in English but it was a discussion a bunch of us were having so I'd thought I'd see what others thought about soft tips to hard to deflection.
How these things become more than what I've asked is beyond me.
What would make you think from my question that I'm looking for
excuses for god knows what cause I don't .

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The question does have merit for interested minds... Dr Dave has proven that mass is key to deflection and tip hardness or construction won't change the physics in any significant way....

As far as people looking for excuses I don't know where it comes from but a similar out-pouring occurs any time we have a question about low deflection shafts, tapers, joints... et all.... Maybe this is from the ignorance is bliss crew and we are in some way impacting their blissfulness....

I attempt to understand as much as possible and in truth much of it has almost nothing to do with ability on the table... Doesn't keep me from continuing to research and ask questions....

Chris

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha......anytime somebody posts a question here, people just assume they're a dumbass and all the great teachers come crawling out of the woodwork with information NOT for the purpose of informing, but for the sole purpose of justifying ones sense of worth and knowledge.
Dave

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Pool is built on excuses. You aren't a top class player until you have an excuse for every possible situation.

Therefore, I want to thank the OP. I had never considered that tip hardness could cause me to miss long, inside english shots. It's like having another arrow in my quiver.

BTW, I use soft tips so those must be the ones that deflect more.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Pool is built on excuses. You aren't a top class player until you have an excuse for every possible situation.

Therefore, I want to thank the OP. I had never considered that tip hardness could cause me to miss long, inside english shots. It's like having another arrow in my quiver.

BTW, I use soft tips so those must be the ones that deflect more.

hahah.............. very nice

Kim