What Cue

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been many questions asking your favorite cue, best cue maker etc. I am aiming this to those that have or have owned cues by many builders.

The question is if you were to play a race to 7 and it was your life that your LIFE DEPENDED ON IT, what cue would you use. This is assuming that you are evenly matched skill wise. Give some thought to this I am not speaking to those that have only owned 1 to 3 cues but to those that have owned 6 or above. It may even be a cue that you no longer own. For me I can't narrow it down to 1. Since I currently own 1 a Steve Dunkel with a LD Shaft it very well might be this cue. It isn' the the fanciest cue I have owned but damn it plays to my game. The other 3 I'd consider would be a Bender, Schick and a Gus that I played for 16 yrs. To be honest if it was my life it would be a toss up between the Dunkel and the Bender.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my life?

No question. My Joss. With the JW shafts I have for it.

Play with a cue you love for over 30 years and you will say the same.

Yes, I have owned and played with many cues. Most of which I still own.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've owned:

South West (3)
Mottey (2)
James White
Joss West
Phillippi
Scruggs
Ed Prewitt

I think what cue feels best to a player is partly subjective, but for me no cue has ever felt as good as my Mottey, with the James White second.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I don't have to think long about the cue ... one of my Joss cues. The shaft on the other hand is a different story. I'm still evaluating what I have (several OB, stock, Katana). I have a Joss HP on order - so we'll see how that works too.

To be honest - this whole LD shaft thing is just a bit overwhelming to me. I was away from the game, and missed the beginning years. I can make the adjustments - but I do need to pick a #1.

I have a Huebler that's almost 40 years old - and I love that stick ... but when I'm looking for my "end game" ... it's my Joss (or one of them)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I've owned:

South West (3)
Mottey (2)
James White
Joss West
Phillippi
Scruggs
Ed Prewitt

I think what cue feels best to a player is partly subjective, but for me no cue has ever felt as good as my Mottey, with the James White second.

I do envy you PoolBum. I'd love to have a Mottey, and he does live close by. Sadly he is now retired. I have no idea if he's sold his equipment - but I will ask the next time I see him. I came so close to getting one back in the mid-80s ... but the cost was more than I could justify as a single parent.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
I'd have to choose James White. I've never owned a Mottey, but I've owned several White's and they all played perfect for me.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to choose James White. I've never owned a Mottey, but I've owned several White's and they all played perfect for me.

I knew Mottey years ago. Never had one. Never played one. But I want one.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had to pick from my collection and the other dozen or so custom cues I have owned,
I'd have to go with either one of my Bob Owen pool cues or my Ed Prewitt. It's a close call.
EP is known to be

CueTable Help

a really talented cue-maker but Bob is the best kept secret. He's just as good.

Matt B.

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far I have owned:
- Hearne
- dufferin
- predator 99-6
- black boar
-southwest
-dan dishaw

In the end, it's my viatorre cue which has saved me many times in league / tournament play.

Last edited:

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have owned many custom and production sticks over the years and I like my Predator Revo the best.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned and played with hundreds of custom cues (Gus,SW,Gina,Bender,Kikel,etc)...if I had to choose the cue to play with in a death match...hand down it would be my old faithful Joel Weinstock with a viking exact shot shaft....lol...won the Empire State tournament with it recenlty.
The butt strangely is my perfect weight and balance at 15.75oz with Ivory Joint, 5/16-14 pin and the viking shaft is 4.50oz with 12.88mm with a standard Kamui Med. Original shaft has a micarta ferrule engineer out of Taiwan, 12.4mm and 3.86oz with a Moori Jewel Tip.
I've been playing with the cue on and off for the last 9 plus years and it's probably the longest cue that I have had in my possesion. The balance, control and everything seem to be perfect for my style of play....not to mention the shaft is perfect with my aiming system. :)
I generally play with different cues that I've owned in tournaments but when I need to play my best...I bring it out. I have a bad habit of switching cues...SW, Kikel, Joel Weinstock, my own CM360 titlist and most recently my Jerry Olivier.

If the death match was on a tight pocket table...I would be using my purpleheart titlist conversion that I made myself. The butt weigh in at 15.60oz, 29.75" with ivory joint 3/8-11 brass pin. The shaft has a very unique design with a 12.40mm, 3.86oz with a Moori Ruby tip.

Joel Weinstock 2008:

942225975_o.jpg

942225961_o.jpg

942225959_o.jpg

CM98 Purple Titlist 2012:
942226792_o.jpg

942226799_o.jpg

942226790_o.jpg

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Geez. Although I'm not the greatest shot by any means, I've owned between 40-60 different cues, between custom & production. If I had to choose 1 for a life or death match, it's sadly a cue I don't have any longer or have any clue where it is. I was a 17oz. Curly maple & Brazilian rosewood Fanelli I had built for me in 2003. Had a smooth leather wrap, 4 pointer with veneers, ivory joint, ivory hoppe ring with a sneaky non labeled original 314 shaft.

Everyday I get pissed at myself for selling the 2 Fanelli's I had made & sold when I hurt my back in 2007. I miss Paul a ton & am hoping to get 1 of the 2 back at the expo next week.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My McDermott D-3, if I popped the tips on both shafts, I would draw out my Rick Howard, the dilemma would be which shaft to use, ivory or old Westinghouse Micarta shaft !!!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interestingly, my Para P12 (.45) plays pretty sweet too
I really like its aluminum frame for lighter weight carry.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Probably my old beat up sneaky. Made for me by snipershot here on the forums. Have been playing with it for years and know what it does.

The answer is really whatever cue I've been using the most of late.