Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The set on the bottom 2 shelves.

1890's, 2 1/8" with ivory cue ball.

Some neighborhood kid gave it to me about 30 years

ago.

Those century-old Brunswick agate balls sure are a treasure to behold. Something else in person!

I sure wish they were made in 2.25” because I haven’t been able to find any.

Thanks for sharing them, Frankenstroke

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first foray into vintage pool balls: Brunswick Ivorylene Darts. Overall, the set is fair with the cue call being the worst of the lot. I only paid $50 shipped for these so I really can't complain that much. Maybe I can find a replacement cue ball someday.

42308791291_9795211850_b.jpg

41587086704_0109ef4aae_b.jpg

42308792291_0a1b4bc115_b.jpg

42308793561_f6d2ce5b4c_b.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Thank you for keeping the thread alive with such interesting contributions, ladies and gentlemen, they are all very welcome and sincerely appreciated.

Mr Rake: Did you have a set of those beautiful Poker Balls once upon a time, sir? If so, I would be intrigued to learn if they were 2.25 inchers or the slightly smaller size for English tables?

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first foray into vintage pool balls: Brunswick Ivorylene Darts. Overall, the set is fair with the cue call being the worst of the lot. I only paid $50 shipped for these so I really can't complain that much. Maybe I can find a replacement cue ball someday.

42308791291_9795211850_b.jpg

41587086704_0109ef4aae_b.jpg

42308792291_0a1b4bc115_b.jpg

42308793561_f6d2ce5b4c_b.jpg

Those Ivorylene balls you scored, rexus, sure have some beautiful and bold coloring - with minimal cracking visible as well. A nice find - easily in the 100+ year old category.

I’ll help keep eyes out for a replacement era cue ball for you - but the one you do have sure has some character

Great contribution, sir!!

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well now....the Ivorylene ball sets first appeared in the early 1910’s.....and the “darts” first came around in 1930. As a general rule that is. So these being darts and in a newer design box, the best estimate would be closer to mid 40’s...

Sorry for not paying closer attention the first time

~ K.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While this is technically a piece of memorabilia, it is a pool ball nonetheless so I though I'd share. I got this Brunswick Blue Circle Cue Ball autographed at a Camel Pro Tour Stop in Los Angeles circa 1993 or 1994; Bicycle Club was the venue, I believe. Autographs include:

Nick Varner
Steve Mizerack
Efren Reyes
Francisco Bustamante
Johnny Archer
Jim Rempe
Buddy Hall
Tom Kennedy

34991333083_1d097958af_b.jpg

34991332823_13f7156fb5_b.jpg

34991332543_7d86d0b918_b.jpg

34991332253_f6c0c82106_b.jpg

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool ball collecting invariably will bring sets and individual balls to your doorstep in less-than-perfect condition. Unless you buy new.

There’s a lot to be said for balls that have survived the years and myriad games played by folks from all walks of life - a literal treasure trove of history in your hands, replete with all of the grit and grime accumulated along the way. Not only can you see and feel the grunge, but if you dare get close enough, you’ll smell that history as well. Cigars? Or is that cigarette smoke I’m smelling? Chalk or just a chalky finish? Yellowing from the age or poor care?

Back in the day, Brunswick sent care instructions along with each Gold Crown ball set (Centennials) and thought important enough to print those instructions on the inside of each box lid - Undoubtedly for the room owners, since they made reference to their recommended “Brunswick Ball Cleaner and Polish, catalog No. 18-18” while making sure each reader understood exactly what went into these new composition balls and how to care for them.

Here are a few excerpts from a 1960’s era boxed set I have: “Never use soap, water, alcohol, or other convenient liquids to clean and polish them.” Convenient. That got a chuckle. “...you should see to it that they are cleaned daily.” And a favorite “...to preserve the “like new...factory fresh” appearance, please follow these few simple instructions.”

Today, there are no care instructions printed on the boxes anywhere but you’ll get a little schooling on how long they’ve been making them and how they are superior to their competitors Perhaps that’s why so many sets arrive in various states of filth - the previous owner thought these newer 20th century balls don’t need tending or care...

Here’s a perfect example of a rather desirous set that I was able to purchase that arrived all wrapped together in a plastic grocery sack and then dropped inside a thrice-used cardboard box - wrapped of course in gray duct tape. Yes, duct tape. And it worked.

The TRU-LINE set of Double Circles:

d29042f88b06715f6880bb5735c8b784.jpg

Being careful not to use any soap, water, alcohol or any other convenient liquid, I spent some quality time with each ball in gloved hands along with a dedicated billiard ball cleaning and polishing compound to arrive at this result:

aa9852e0b28fdb5096c230d2b68f8f6f.jpg

Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner. No-dye microfiber towels. A little pressure and a lot of patience. A few tried and true tricks. No use of the Diamond ball polisher yet - that will come with step 3 on my way to a final 5 step plan to help get them back to playable condition.

So be careful out there Pool Ball Collecting thread readers - the best advice has been around for over 100 years when it comes to taking care of billiard balls. Keep them clean but avoid convenient liquids - and they (balls) will be around for decades if not centuries later because of the great care and stewardship each owner bestowed upon them - the real reason we play these games....

The Balls.

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While this is technically a piece of memorabilia, it is a pool ball nonetheless so I though I'd share. I got this Brunswick Blue Circle Cue Ball autographed at a Camel Pro Tour Stop in Los Angeles circa 1993 or 1994; Bicycle Club was the venue, I believe. Autographs include:

Nick Varner

Steve Mizerack

Efren Reyes

Francisco Bustamonte

Johnny Archer

Jim Rempe

Buddy Hall

Tom Kennedy

34991333083_1d097958af_b.jpg

34991332823_13f7156fb5_b.jpg

34991332543_7d86d0b918_b.jpg

34991332253_f6c0c82106_b.jpg

That is a great contribution to the PBC thread, rexus31 - a ball with many of the greats of the game! I sure wish I had my autographed Miz ball from the Miller Lite Tour - I think a meddling roommate from my college days has it under good care for me

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics!

~ K.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool ball collecting invariably will bring sets and individual balls to your doorstep in less-than-perfect condition. Unless you buy new.

There’s a lot to be said for balls that have survived the years and myriad games played by folks from all walks of life - a literal treasure trove of history in your hands, replete with all of the grit and grime accumulated along the way. Not only can you see and feel the grunge, but if you dare get close enough, you’ll smell that history as well. Cigars? Or is that cigarette smoke I’m smelling? Chalk or just a chalky finish? Yellowing from the age or poor care?

Back in the day, Brunswick sent care instructions along with each Gold Crown ball set (Centennials) and thought important enough to print those instructions on the inside of each box lid - Undoubtedly for the room owners, since they made reference to their recommended “Brunswick Ball Cleaner and Polish, catalog No. 18-18” while making sure each reader understood exactly what went into these new composition balls and how to care for them.

Here are a few excerpts from a 1960’s era boxed set I have: “Never use soap, water, alcohol, or other convenient liquids to clean and polish them.” Convenient. That got a chuckle. “...you should see to it that they are cleaned daily.” And a favorite “...to preserve the “like new...factory fresh” appearance, please follow these few simple instructions.”

Today, there are no care instructions printed on the boxes anywhere but you’ll get a little schooling on how long they’ve been making them and how they are superior to their competitors Perhaps that’s why so many sets arrive in various states of filth - the previous owner thought these newer 20th century balls don’t need tending or care...

Here’s a perfect example of a rather desirous set that I was able to purchase that arrived all wrapped together in a plastic grocery sack and then dropped inside a thrice-used cardboard box - wrapped of course in gray duct tape. Yes, duct tape. And it worked.

The TRU LINE set of Double Circles:

d29042f88b06715f6880bb5735c8b784.jpg

Being careful not to use any soap, water, alcohol or any other convenient liquid, I spent some quality time with each ball in gloved hands along with a dedicated billiard ball cleaning and polishing compound to arrive at this result:

aa9852e0b28fdb5096c230d2b68f8f6f.jpg

Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner. No-dye microfiber towels. A little pressure and a lot of patience. A few tried and true tricks. No use of the Diamond ball polisher yet - that will come with step 3 on my way to a final 5 step plan to help get them back to playable condition.

So be careful out there Pool Ball Collecting thread readers - the best advice has been around for over 100 years when it comes to taking care of billiard balls. Keep them clean but avoid convenient liquids - and they (balls) will be around for decades if not centuries later because of the great care and stewardship each owner bestowed upon them - the real reason we play these games....

The Balls.

~ K.

Excellent job in cleaning these up. What vintage are they?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tru-Line began mid-60’s with these so I’m estimating them to be near the 50-year-old mark and am searching my catalogs for corroborating evidence

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Wonderful transformation as always, Mr K. :)

I don't have any Tru Lines in my hoard as yet, but must say that this elegant set is very much in my particular field of collecting... the number fonts, the colours, the rings, it's all beautiful to my eye. Just as an aside, sir, did you see the standard set of TLs advertised for sale recently? What caught my attention was the branded (mint condition) Tru Line tray, I wonder if a deal might be made for that piece alone?

Best wishes,
RC. :)

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Really interesting collection of memorabilia, Rexus, I'll wager every ball has a story to tell. :)

Did you see the full set of sixteen autographed Willie Mosconi balls that came up for auction recently, sir? They were listed on a private website. I'm not sure at what price the hammer eventually fell, but with a few days remaining it stood at just over $300. I saw the same set again last week listed on eBay for a cool $2,499. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
Saw these as a local antique store today. They dont look too old. Thoughts?
46222cd23f382bf9172551acee643a56.jpg
6b6b889deb2e78b14b9c656b56b10459.jpg
45c074c47f8143edf257f61e6d7c3d14.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw these as a local antique store today. They dont look too old. Thoughts?
46222cd23f382bf9172551acee643a56.jpg
6b6b889deb2e78b14b9c656b56b10459.jpg
45c074c47f8143edf257f61e6d7c3d14.jpg

Hello, Echelon -

The ball set in the pictures was marketed by HIGH SKORE I believe as an innovative and daring design on the solids and stripes of the era. It’s quite inexpensive and yet not often attempted by many manufacturers.

The condition of the set pictured, I’m afraid, appears to be less than ideal and I fear/doubt that they would polish up to any standard worth showing or playing. Certainly not worth the $45 I see on the label. Unless someone gifted them to you

Those sets do come available on various for-sale sites during the year and some are in fine condition and worth acquiring if you like the vertical stripes for something different.

Hope that helps -

K.

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the info. I didn't buy them, figured I could go back if they were something special. I didnt even notice the difference in the stripes until you pointed it out!
Hello, Echelon -

The ball set in the pictures was marketed by HIGH SKORE I believe as an innovative and daring design on the solids and stripes of the era. It’s quite inexpensive and yet not often attempted by many manufacturers.

The condition of the set pictured, I’m afraid, appears to be less than ideal and I fear/doubt that they would polish up to any standard worth showing or playing. Certainly not worth the $45 I see on the label. Unless someone gifted them to you

Those sets do come available on various for-sale sites during the year and some are in fine condition and worth acquiring if you like the vertical stripes for something different.

Hope that helps -

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freedom of choice.

Which ball set do we select when faced with so many options? Like most folks, access and availability will govern that choice. What is on the shelf - whether virtual or at your local billiard supply - and on sale perhaps. For yourself or a gift?

Prices range from $29 to $525

But what catches your eye?

For some, it’s just a ball. To play the game. What is the latest or what is everyone else buying. An easy choice.

For some, it’s about adventure and exploration. What is different. Unique. Absurd to brilliant. Driven by curiosity. That’s my comfort zone - my playground - because all the other kids look bored with their same-old balls and games.

A favorite ball design element that always caught my eye within mere seconds of seeing them (from days past) is the ball that incorporates the numerals within a hexagon. And they were clay. Exceptionally rare in fine condition and most likely not daring enough to play them. Aramith hasn’t touched this challenge of the hexagonal numeral surround. Nor Vigma. But with a literal plethora of Asian manufactures, it was bound to happen.

No - not in phenolic resin. But hey, you didn’t want to pay $375 for a “novelty set” anyway, did you? Me either. And the swirl part - hmm - that’s adding two out of the ordinary design elements together. No two balls will EVER be the same using a swirl pour - so you’ve got that elusive ONE OF A KIND set now

What do you think:

f24d1634e6fbf0f62811ac3ea1ec9304.jpg

Let’s play!

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Mr K. :)

Another beautifully presented photograph and engaging account, sir, a fitting tribute indeed to the legendary Direct Site Hexagonals. Thank you so much for keeping the thread alive with numerous offerings from your phenomenal collection, surely one of the world's best residing in private hands.

It brought to mind a question I have been meaning to ask, dear fellow. What do you consider to be the golden age of billiard ball manufacture? My own view is that the 1970s saw some truly fabulous advances, my Aramith Poker Balls, Hyatt Bicentennials and Raschigs from that era just seem to be a little bit special, the lustre, colouring and ball resonance all stand out from the rest.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Best wishes,
RC.