Best felt that won't burn

Bank Shot

Registered
Hello all,

I have recently installed an old table in my house. I like to do a lot of jumping and trick shots, etc and noticed the felt on the table I have installed seems to burn way to easy. (i have no idea what brand of felt it is but I'm assuming its fairly cheap kind of felt). I know this color is probably worse for showing burns and do not actually like this color.

So my question is which kind of felt is most resistant to burning? I do want to get a worsted felt in the future for higher speeds...but I don't want to spend a bunch of money just to mark it up it up in no time?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Registered
Come on...no one? Over 100 views and no comment......................which felt won't do this?

Someone must have an idea which felts won't burn like this? (little white dots)

bgrierson

Registered
All cloths will show the dots, especially if you're jumping and masseing your white all the time. I suggest you get a break pad when you get your table reclothed. The Table Mechanic you use can cut you out several small circular pads from the excess bed cloth after he installs the bed.

It looks like you currently have Mercury Ultra cloth which is lower end (75% wool/25% nylon). Simonis 760 & 860 are even thinner than your existing cloth and will show even more dots.

Bank Shot

Registered
All cloths will show the dots, especially if you're jumping and masseing your white all the time. I suggest you get a break pad when you get your table reclothed. The Table Mechanic you use can cut you out several small circular pads from the excess bed cloth after he installs the bed.

It looks like you currently have Mercury Ultra cloth which is lower end (75% wool/25% nylon). Simonis 760 & 860 are even thinner than your existing cloth and will show even more dots.

Hey cool, thanks for the info, I will definitely get some pads made when I re-cloth.

CHANGE the CUEBALL

Why, will this help?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey cool, thanks for the info, I will definitely get some pads made when I re-cloth.

Why, will this help?

A new and clean CB will help somewhat, but if you're jumping and doing a lot of masse shots you will still have it. The same is true with a break pad - if you put it under the CB on jump shot practice it will reduce the severity of the burns but won't stop it.

Bank Shot

Registered
A new and clean CB will help somewhat, but if you're jumping and doing a lot of masse shots you will still have it. The same is true with a break pad - if you put it under the CB on jump shot practice it will reduce the severity of the burns but won't stop it.

Cool thanks man. So i guess there is no way around felt burning if jumping and masse....only ways to minimize it.

bgrierson

Registered
I saw Shane Van Boening (whom most believe is the best breaker in the world) speaking on an older TAR pre match chat that his practice table is full of spots in a circular pattern on the middle of his table from his white dancing after the break. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the heat and friction produced from such a violent action is going to leave a mark. BTW, I'm an old snooker guy, but the more I watch SVB's matches the more I want to watch. After Ronnie O'Sullivan, I'm watching both SVB and Earl's matches on YouTube and enjoying their massive individual skills.