Do all Joss cues say 'Joss' on them or have an identifiable marking?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a cue in a raffle at the end of a league season and was told it's an $800 Joss. After taking it home and playing with it a bit, and looking at it more closely I'm beginning to wonder if it's some sort of knockoff and the guy who bought it is mistaken. It has no identifiable markings that I can see anywhere. On the Joss website it says that there are serial numbers on all metal joints but the joint of this cue is plastic/phenolic and there is no serial number.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a cue in a raffle at the end of a league season and was told it's an $800 Joss. After taking it home and playing with it a bit, and looking at it more closely I'm beginning to wonder if it's some sort of knockoff and the guy who bought it is mistaken. It has no identifiable markings that I can see anywhere. On the Joss website it says that there are serial numbers on all metal joints but the joint of this cue is plastic/phenolic and there is no serial number.

They are always marked somewhere. The only exception I've seen is if the logo was on the butt cap and it was replaced. Send pictures to Joss.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i bought a joss from dan janes in the late 1980's or early 90's (its 57 inches if that helps)
where i specifically asked for no logo
he made it for me ..its just a 4 point no veneer cue with linen wrap
i went and looked at it since i havent looked or played with it in years
and could find no logo but i did not remove the bumper

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a joss from dan janes in the late 1980's or early 90's (its 57 inches if that helps)
where i specifically asked for no logo
he made it for me ..its just a 4 point no veneer cue with linen wrap
i went and looked at it since i havent looked or played with it in years
and could find no logo but i did not remove the bumper

Interesting. Why did you ask for no logo?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
2 instances where I have seen cues from Joss without the Joss logo.

He did a run of really plain cues that he labeled L'Americano. They had that logo on the butt.

Also, my local poolhall (Top Hat) is about 5 minutes from Joss shop. All of their house cues are Joss Plain Janes. Really nice cues for house cues. They have the poolhall's logo on the butt cap, not Joss. The joss logo is on the shaft.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He did a run of really plain cues that he labeled L'Americano. They had that logo on the butt.

Also, my local poolhall is about 5 minutes from Joss shop. All of their house cues are Joss Plain Janes. Really nice cues for house cues. They have the poolhall's logo on the butt cap, not Joss. The joss logo is on the shaft.

Awesome. Thank you

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Also, my local poolhall (Top Hat) is about 5 minutes from Joss shop. All of their house cues are Joss Plain Janes. Really nice cues for house cues. They have the poolhall's logo on the butt cap, not Joss. The joss logo is on the shaft.

There have been others.

There were Jim Pempe prototype cues made in the Joss shop, they were not marked Joss, they were later made by Adam. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=438072

Off the top of my head Joss also made cues for:
Brunswick
Biagio
Longoni
I am confident there are others I am forgetting at the moment.

Most were marked Joss...but some were not.

In addition, they would make a cue without a logo if you asked.I think they still will. And I think they will still do one without a serial number if you ask. But why would you do that? Only perhaps for a simple cue...certainly not an expensive one I would think.

As far as the cue in question. I highly doubt an "$800 Joss" would be unmarked...unless repaired and the logo lost in the refinish.

If you call Joss and ask they will most likely tell you if it isn't marked Joss it isn't a Joss.

cuetechasaurus: Please post pictures.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been others.

There were Jim Pempe prototype cues made in the Joss shop, they were not marked Joss, they were later made by Adam. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=438072

Off the top of my head Joss also made cues for:
Brunswick
Biagio
Longoni
I am confident there are others I am forgetting at the moment.

Most were marked Joss...but some were not.

In addition, they would make a cue without a logo if you asked.I think they still will. And I think they will still do one without a serial number if you ask. But why would you do that? Only perhaps for a simple cue...certainly not an expensive one I would think.

As far as the cue in question. I highly doubt an "$800 Joss" would be unmarked...unless repaired and the logo lost in the refinish.

If you call Joss and ask they will most likely tell you if it isn't marked Joss it isn't a Joss.

cuetechasaurus: Please post pictures.

I think Joss did some of the earlier Predator cues as well, but of course with the Predator logo not Joss.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Joss did some of the earlier Predator cues as well, but of course with the Predator logo not Joss.
Falcon made Predator butts after their split with JOSS iirc. The JOSS-Falcon partnership only lasted a couple of yrs, around '91-'93.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Falcon made Predator butts after their split with JOSS iirc. The JOSS-Falcon partnership only lasted a couple of yrs, around '91-'93.

Wasn't that right around the same time as the Tyler cues they made?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nothing to do with your question, but with your title instead:

The cues they built for Brunswick in the 90's I don't believe have any JOSS logo or lettering.

Freddie <~~~ no help

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mueller's had a line of Chinese made Buska style cues.
All were around $180.
But there was one they called the high end and sold for around $400 and it was made by Joss.
I just cant remember the name of the line of cues.
They have been discontinued.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to do with your question, but with your title instead:

The cues they built for Brunswick in the 90's I don't believe have any JOSS logo or lettering.

Freddie <~~~ no help

Some did. Right under the Brunswick logo in VERY tiny letters. Some did not. I have no idea of when or why they were and were not marked Joss. Maybe certain models? Maybe certain years? I just don't know, but I have seen three versions, one unmarked and two marked, only one of which said Joss and the other just USA.

Some just said USA in tiny letters.

attachment.php

Some said "by Joss USA" in tiny letters.

attachment.php

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't that right around the same time as the Tyler cues they made?

Yeah. I recall a Tyler for sale here that seller said was a '91. The split between Ernie and Dan wasn't pretty but that's a whole other can of worms.

bstroud

Deceased
When Dan and I were together as Joss Cues Engraved all the cues.

There was short period right after I left when Dan had not yet learned to engrave that a few Joss Cues were sent out without a Logo.

Bill S.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

There was short period right after I left when Dan had not yet learned to engrave that a few Joss Cues were sent out without a Logo.

Bill S.

Seems a bit odd they would be raffling off a 40-some-odd year old cue but... stranger things have happened I suppose.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Bill S.

Correct, there are a few early 70s Joss cues that do not have a logo on the buttplate. It fairly accurately defines the period.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Joss Windows 1.jpg
    Joss Windows 1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 268