Daily puzzle, beat SVB!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm basically with PJ on it.

Maybe this is just a personal quirk, but I might be more comfortable doing this 2 rail path for the initial shot.
https://pad.chalkysticks.com/18666.png

I feel like with the other zigzag path, I might misjudge it a little and get either on the rail or too straight.
But going directly to the foot rail, I'm gonna have the correct angle on the 6 as long as I don't literally freeze to that rail.

After that, you choose 1 rail or zigzag route to fall on the 8, depending on exactly what angle you get.
I kind of hope for a nice 1-rail angle.
I like being able to ensure I don't get on the rail for the game ball, in a high pressure situation.
I'd prefer almost any cut (even running into the 10) to shooting that ball from the rail. https://pad.chalkysticks.com/61e20.png

Editable version if anyone needs it: https://pad.chalkysticks.com/3227e

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would haveta shoot the 5 in the bottom R pocket, with cb starting from closer to center table from straight in. 2 rails out of the corner, to about center table for the leave on the 6.

6 in the top L pocket and roll up to lower side of pic to shoot 8 in the top R pictured pocket.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Best pool book for analyzing these kind of scenarios

I like this exercise. What's the best pool book with similar diagrams that analyzes these kind of scenarios?

I think I recall G Feels writing something titled 'How Would you Play This' I think? I think it was for straight pool.

I was hoping to find one for rotation or eight ball.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG you’re bumping balls? Not a bad idea but the 8 goes. I try not to bump when they go.

You need to learn 14.1.

After getting to be even average 14.1 player, that "bumping balls" will be a part of your game.

It's one thing to "accidentally" bump balls around but, its another thing entirely to "move" balls where you "want" them.

Again, 14.1 is your friend. Learn just the basics of 14.1 and your opinion on the layout above will drastically change for the better.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
After getting to be even average 14.1 player, that "bumping balls" will be a part of your game.
Sure, but even if you're good at it you shouldn't risk it unless you need to. In this case you risk not only making the 8's position worse, but missing shape on the 6, and for no real gain - the 8's already easy to get to.

pj
chgo

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I started playing, around 1970, the games being played in my area were 8-ball, straight pool (14-1) and rotation (15-ball) with a full rack. Needless to say, we played more 8-ball than anything. But next was straight pool. Rotation as we played it was a terrible game, so we rarely played it.

With that being said, I would never bump balls in this given situation. Anyone who does is way more confident in their abilities than me.

The out in the OP looks pretty simple, sans the billion$ and SVB. Of all things it doesn’t look like bumping balls is needed. But if that’s what is comfortable, then it should still be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I texted a pro yesterday. Won’t mention his name, his fargo suggests he’s top 50 in the US. He texted back this.

View attachment 517971

Hey, I must be better at strategy than I thought. That's exactly how I said I'd run this table.

I'm wondering though if we're playing on a barbox or a big table? I've been playing almost exclusively barboxes for a few years now and I just assumed that was the size table we were on here.

The reason I ask is that on a barbox, the sidepockets are the whammies ("no whammies! No whammies!" Might be too old a reference for some). Case in point, when shooting the 6 into the top left corner some care has to be taken not to let the side pocket make a hash out of your shape on the 8. You could scratch in that bottom side pocket, or just nick the near tit, which could send the cue straight down the rail, maybe allowing the 10 to block. The far tit might kick the cue out towards the middle of the table, making the 8 a much tougher shot. Or you could end up tight to the rail with a nearly straight in shot, a shot that could be a little hairy with a billion on the line.

Regardless, you kind of have to flirt with that pocket to make shape on the 8.

On a barbox I think I'd play the 6 as a two rail shape, the second rail being just a few inches short of the side pocket, let the cue lose some energy on that hit and drift down about 4 or 5 inches off the rail just past the side pocket. That'd let me use the 10 as insurance against the scratch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure, but even if you're good at it you shouldn't risk it unless you need to. In this case you risk not only making the 8's position worse, but missing shape on the 6, and for no real gain - the 8's already easy to get to.

pj
chgo
You don't understand the larger picture, PJ. You bump the ball and get bad position and still get out with a great shot. SVB's backer whispers to him, "Don't worry kid, we got this fool. He can't win with shots like that." And then you steal another billion from them. ;)

Me, I'll settle for one billion since I'm betting my own money and take the easy plays off the top rail for both balls.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I guess it comes down to the same thing it always comes to:

The person knowledge, skill level and confidence level at the time.

Me, I'm bumping the 8 up all day long.

I set it up and shot it over and over again and even when I hit the 8, what I consider to thick and to thin..... I still had a VERY easy out. Especially since after that, the 8 goes in the other corner.

Again, just my opinion. Then again, I shoot shots extremely similar while playing 14.1 "very often".

I truly believe ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why I see the shot the way I do.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

This. I think most hill-hill games are won standing up and this is a great example. If you play a lot of straight pool and that’s your shot then all good. I wouldnt move it. I can move it 10 out of 10 times but still wouldnt here.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I texted a pro yesterday. Won’t mention his name, his fargo suggests he’s top 50 in the US. He texted back this.

View attachment 517971

Not that I think it’s a bad choice but not a fan of playing 1-rail off the short rail for position on the 8. If that’s what you end up with, it’s not a terrible situation.

I play a rolling cue ball anytime I can. Rolling cue from the position shown leaves several easy routes back to the eight. IMO, the easiest being below the six, 1 maybe 2 long rails for easy-peasy position on the 8.

Anything in a 3-4 foot area on the 6 leaves a route to the eight. For me, worst position would be 1 rail on the short rail, as diagramed. Sure as shooting, I would end up on the 50 yard line worried about a scratch in the right corner.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bank the 6 to the bottom right and leave the cue ball in its place and let SVB shoot...
Which leads to the possibility of playing safe behind the 6 after you make the 5. Too bad three fouls doesn't happen at eight ball or you could play safe behind the six to start with.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m shooting the five ball into the top right pocket (as looking at the screen) with a natural angle that will bring me to where the seven ball is on the rail. That way if I miss or get bad position, I still have him blocked for the stripe or I can play an easy safety, while nudging the six even closer to the end pocket.

From the seven ball area on the rail, I can go two rails and back to where the nine ball is on the rail for position on the eight.

That's the natural pattern I see... had to mess up and you can bail out if you really need to.