how are ya'll doing in league ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i can just reject thier claim of any foul, even double hit if i want
With no ref around?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

I don't know the rule in APA or BCA, not sure if you have to accept it or not. A quick search didn't give me an answer. I'll look into it more.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I love that bit about accepting the foul or not haha
Does that apply for the double hit as well?

Just so you do not get confused about this...in the APA it is ALWAYS the shooters call when a foul is called against him/her when there is no referee (or someone neutral called over to watch the hit) present.

Double hits are for the most part never called in the two APA areas I play out of, especially when the skill level of the offending player is low. It's just too much BS trying to explain to them and sometimes their captains/teammates exactly what constitutes a double-hit.

And FTR, high-speed video has proved that shooting through two frozen balls does not result in a foul. High-speed video has proven that when the CB and OB are minutely apart all the up to about a piece of chalks width apart, then shooting through causes a foul.

Remember that the APA, although one is still competing, can be as fun as team members will let it be. I've seen everything from the foul-police to the let-it-go scenarios from a rules perspective and I always lean on the side of the let-it-go camp. Arguing and *****ing about every third or fourth shot in the rack not only leads to a long night, but animosity towards people that are supposed to be together for a night of enjoyment.

Maniac

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know the rule in APA or BCA, not sure if you have to accept it or not. A quick search didn't give me an answer. I'll look into it more.

In APA, without a referee seeing a shot, any disputed call goes to the shooter. It is the responsibility of the player not shooting to procure a neutral party to watch any questionable shots.

As far as the slop thing, I really haven't noticed it being a huge factor in many of my matches. Yes it happens to me (and for me) on occasion, but no more than watching any 9 ball stream...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
As far as the slop thing, I really haven't noticed it being a huge factor in many of my matches. Yes it happens to me (and for me) on occasion, but no more than watching any 9 ball stream...

It rarely is a factor.

Funny that people who condemn the APA for allowing slop in 8-ball games are allowing slop to be accepted every time they play a game of 9-ball.

Maniac

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Just so you do not get confused about this...in the APA it is ALWAYS the shooters call when a foul is called against him/her when there is no referee (or someone neutral called over to watch the hit) present.

Double hits are for the most part never called in the two APA areas I play out of, especially when the skill level of the offending player is low. It's just too much BS trying to explain to them and sometimes their captains/teammates exactly what constitutes a double-hit.

And FTR, high-speed video has proved that shooting through two frozen balls does not result in a foul. High-speed video has proven that when the CB and OB are minutely apart all the up to about a piece of chalks width apart, then shooting through causes a foul.

Remember that the APA, although one is still competing, can be as fun as team members will let it be. I've seen everything from the foul-police to the let-it-go scenarios from a rules perspective and I always lean on the side of the let-it-go camp. Arguing and *****ing about every third or fourth shot in the rack not only leads to a long night, but animosity towards people that are supposed to be together for a night of enjoyment.

Maniac

Thanks
Im on the let it go side
But have played with several foul sheriffs

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

Understood on the shooters side concept, but I'm curious about a non-questionable foul as in opponent shoots, clips your ball, makes his ball and says "I fouled" - can you look at him and say "No worries, keep shooting". Clearly you would take BIH but are you REQUIRED to take BIH?

And we don't call double hits either unless it's in a match with higher skilled players and we know what's going on. Lower skilled player, meh, let them bang 'em.

And yep, balls touching no foul, balls not touching by a c**t hair, foul. That's why I said if they're touching I'll push through them and wouldn't worry about moral's, it's a legal shot.

In APA, without a referee seeing a shot, any disputed call goes to the shooter. It is the responsibility of the player not shooting to procure a neutral party to watch any questionable shots.

Yep, disputed calls go to player, I'm good with that, see above regarding taking a clear foul. Oh, I don't even care if people go up and bang the balls hard so you can't tell, I don't do it but I don't care if someone else does.

It rarely is a factor.

Funny that people who condemn the APA for allowing slop in 8-ball games are allowing slop to be accepted every time they play a game of 9-ball.

Maniac

I haven't been playing in APA that long and I've only lost two matches due to slop and frankly, I wasn't happy. If I'm playing an SL3 or 4, maybe a 5, I'm good with a few slops, etc. But when I'm playing someone who shoots as well I do AND they're slop hooking me all night long, I'm generally not happy.

Thanks
Im on the let it go side

Yep, I'm a "no-worries" kind of person but if I'm playing someone at my level then I expect that we BOTH follow the rules of the game. One of the captains from another team is a bit** and everyone knows it. She called something on one of my teammates one time, which is fine, but my teammate is new to the league and didn't know the rule and captain was a bit** about it so we gave her a like-kind reaction. The next time they had a timeout my captain said set a timer so I put my timer on 1 minute, which took 15 seconds so the actually had 75 seconds and when it went off my captain called time on them. Their captain said nobody follows that rule (which they don't but I try to keep it to a minimum) and my captain replied with something like "if you're going to call that BS foul on then we're going to follow ALL the rules. She didn't say much to us the rest of the night.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league has a closed FB page and we have determined that player does NOT have to accept the foul but then the original shooter, the one that committed the foul, would receive BIH. If neither player accepts BIH then the game is a stalemate and re-racked.

Given the amount of times I have chosen not to shoot a ball and just handed the ball to the opponent (so THEY can try the breakout) I'm good with that answer.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So i can just reject thier claim of any foul, even double hit if i want
With no ref around?

The call goes to the shooter. If its egregious, it can become a Sportsmanship penalty, but that is something the LO has to decide and implement. It won't happen on the night of play (unless the LO is in-house at the time), you need to submit your complaint with your scoresheet.

Unless you have an objective 3rd party watching the hit, of course. Then that 3rd party's call is final.

***edit*** sorry, I see now that this has been addressed above....carry on :p

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and I tied for 1st in MVP standings but the other person had more matches than me so he won the tie breaker. He's a new player to the league and great shot, he was my only loss for the year, so he earned it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading these last few posts I might as well tell the story of what happened to me last Saturday in our jack and Jill qualifier. . Hill - hill vs a 7/3 team and my team was a 5/3 in a 3/4 race with me and my partner going to 3.

2 balls a piece left with their 7 shooting. He makes a good shot and has a decent leave for their 3 but their last ball is close to our 2 remaining balls and he calls a timeout to give his 3 advice on hoe to make their last ball.

They are standing at the table and next thing I know my player tells the 7 to move our ball back. He said he did not touch our ball. She says he did. The lo overhears and comes up and asks what is going on. My partner tells the lo what happened. Well my partner and the 7 are going back and forth with.. Did...did not...did...did not. The lo asks me and i tell him I have no idea as i had my back turned taking a sip of my drink .

Well the end result is just like in a foul call goes to the shooter so did this call . She made their ball and he made the 8 and we get sent home. I have known this guy for years and never knew of him cheating but I believe my partner and learned my lesson.....never trust no one in a qualifier for Vegas.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Just playing napa singles 1 day a week. Got second last session in 9 ball. Current session is fast 8, and I'm in the lead with 3 weeks left. Probably will have to win out, and know I've got one match that will be like 8-2, with me having to go to 8. If the two guys behind me lost this week, then I can lose a match and still win the session.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just playing napa singles 1 day a week. Got second last session in 9 ball. Current session is fast 8, and I'm in the lead with 3 weeks left. Probably will have to win out, and know I've got one match that will be like 8-2, with me having to go to 8. If the two guys behind me lost this week, then I can lose a match and still win the session.

I loved playing Napa . Wish it was still available in my area. It was the only league that I have played in where I never experienced sandbagging.... Not even at the 2 nationals I attended in singles events.

The toughest match I have had where I came out winner was with a lil old lady from Oklahoma at the nationals on tunica. That woman could play bar table 8 ball. Our match went over 3 hours with me winning 4-4 in a 4/5 race. No slow play....just an untold number of safes by both of us.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My league 9 ball and 8 ball games have headed in different directions during the last 2 months or so. Cannot lose in 9 ball, cannot win in 8 ball. I think I am 10 -1 in 9 ball the last two months and like 7 -5 in 8 ball, though I did win a pretty sporty 8 ball tournament last week, and took 3rd in a 9 ball tournament (though I had the tournament winner's idiot boy-looking wife heckling me the last four matches I played) ...so made money on both this past week.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading these last few posts I might as well tell the story of what happened to me last Saturday in our jack and Jill qualifier. . Hill - hill vs a 7/3 team and my team was a 5/3 in a 3/4 race with me and my partner going to 3.

2 balls a piece left with their 7 shooting. He makes a good shot and has a decent leave for their 3 but their last ball is close to our 2 remaining balls and he calls a timeout to give his 3 advice on hoe to make their last ball.

They are standing at the table and next thing I know my player tells the 7 to move our ball back. He said he did not touch our ball. She says he did. The lo overhears and comes up and asks what is going on. My partner tells the lo what happened. Well my partner and the 7 are going back and forth with.. Did...did not...did...did not. The lo asks me and i tell him I have no idea as i had my back turned taking a sip of my drink .

Well the end result is just like in a foul call goes to the shooter so did this call . She made their ball and he made the 8 and we get sent home. I have known this guy for years and never knew of him cheating but I believe my partner and learned my lesson.....never trust no one in a qualifier for Vegas.

Agreed, it's a different game when Vegas is on the line.

What is fast 8?

My league 9 ball and 8 ball games have headed in different directions during the last 2 months or so. Cannot lose in 9 ball, cannot win in 8 ball. I think I am 10 -1 in 9 ball the last two months and like 7 -5 in 8 ball, though I did win a pretty sporty 8 ball tournament last week, and took 3rd in a 9 ball tournament (though I had the tournament winner's idiot boy-looking wife heckling me the last four matches I played) ...so made money on both this past week.

My season was the opposite - best one yet for 8B, worst one for 9B.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
What is fast 8?

A goofy game, designed for league players. You rack up 4 solids and 4 stripes, with the 8 ball. Racked like 9 ball, but the stripes and solids go in a specific pattern. In napa, if you break and make the 8 only it is spotted and you lose your shot, make a ball and the 8 it just spots.

You take what you make, scratch on the break it is open from the kitchen. Played like ball in hand 8 ball after the break. Very easy to run a rack obviously since you only have to make a total of 5 balls.

Get a good break where you make a ball of each, a run out is cake walk. Safety play is tough since you only have a few balls on the table, and even bad players will run a rack. It is played in napa as alternate break.

For instance, I've got a 8-3 race the other day, up 7-0 and opponent breaks and runs a rack. Which cost me a shut out and additional points.

I will say it does make the league go quick, most matches are over in 15 minutes or less.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Oh I always like finding new ways to play lol. That’s pretty cool cubswin I’m going to add it to my repertoire.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Thanks
Im on the let it go side

"foul sheriffs" - That's pretty good. I used to be one of those guys, what an asshole.
You'll be happy to know I grew out of it. Knowing the rules can be useful, knowing how to
apply them and acquiring the wisdom to do so is an ever ongoing process. Every so often
you come across a less experienced player that will throw the rule book at you, so you
patiently explain things, and how this is a rec league and everyone is here to mainly have
a little fun. If that doesn't take I'll do my very best to make them cry. Once that starts the
silence that comes from their side of the pool table can be quite spooky.
Being a "foul sheriff" can develop into a very nasty habit, almost like picking your nose,
learning to ignore them is a whole 'nother skill altogether

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I almost do not want to post my experience in playoffs friday night....ya' ll might start calling me a foul sheriff. :grin-square:

My team had both 8 and 9 ball going on at the same time. We faced a team that was playing 8 ball only and the other one was playing 9 ball only so they both had me at a disadvantage having their whole roster available against me and I was splitting my roster against both of them.

In 8 ball I threw a 5 and they countered with a 5. We won 2-1 They threw a 6 and I threw another 5. They won 3-0 . I threw my self and figured they would throw either their 7 or remaining 5. They threw a 3 ! Fvckdrs dumped on me !

Now I am gonna try and keep this short but a whole lotta drama arose in my match. So its a 4-2 race. I won the lag and dry broke. She ran 6 balls and missed her last ball. Now while running those 6 balls she commited 2 fouls and both times I asked...i have bih right ? She simply says hole and keeps shooting. So when I get to the table I have q cluster to deal with and have the 8 blocked with one of my balls. So I run a few and pls safe. She comes up with an efren type z kick making ber last ball and breaking the 8 out which she promptly pockets. Holy crap . This 3 is on the hill only one inning in the match ! So second rack starts and on her third shot she commits another foul ...ahe made a ball ever time she fouled btw. I ask again ...bih ...she goes nope and continues shooting. After her next shot she gets down and is going to shoot with one of my balls partially blocking hers and I go hold on...i want an observer. She is visibly pissed and asks why. I go...why !? Because it apparent you are the type od person that does not call fouls on their self....thats why ! And yea I am pretty po'd at this point.

Sure enough she fouls . I run the table. 3 rd rack I run a few balls and just block a pocket. She runs a few and I holler for the same observer again. I get bih and run a few balls and then she calls for an observer. Wtf ? She does not have a ball any where near where I am shooting at. Btw...this is the same guy who I called...he works for the lo. I make a few balls and she comes to the table...i holler for the observer ....this time he stays at the table watching the whole rack as I win again. Now she is all upset...grabs the balls out od the tray...throws them on the table without racking them and then takes what seems like a 20 minute bathroom break....probably more like 15 but you get the point. I win this rack also and only had to call the observer one time cause she only shot once.

So now its hill-hill. I run a few...she runs a few...neither one of us called an observer...yet. I get on the 8 for the winning shot ...straight in a side pocket . I het down on the shot and she jumps up and comes to the table calling for an observer...wtf !!!?? her nearest ball is 4 inches to the left of me. Pure and simple asshole move.. I win 2-1. So now they throw their 7. I have a 5 and a 3 left. I doubt if my 5 can beat their 7 and if their 2... all they can throw with out going over... is anything like their 3 my 3 cant handle her. So elect to dump my 3....hey ...reap what you sow . Sure enough their 7 wins 3-0. I throw my 5.. They counter with a 5. Wtf ? Now regular session I pipe up and tell them the fixin fo mess up. Now complete silence on my part. Once the first ball is hit I politely tell them they went over handicap.

Now for a complete opposite experience. Like I said ...we are playing 9 ball also. It got to the 5th match and my throw and we are down by 4 points. I have me....who is just starting the hill- hill rack in 8 ball...a 5 and a 3 left. Now ..yea a lil conceit here. I feel I have the best chance at beating their 7 . So I ask the captain if he will wait until I finish my 8 ball match to play the last 9 ball. Sure he says. Now he could have made me throw my 5 but he gave us a chance to beat them. Well I didn't lol.

2 different teams ...2 completely different experience's.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think you were out of line. After the first couple fouls she didn’t call she wouldn’t have liked me at all. I would have been in her face and her captains face. I’m good with an occasional foul but blatant disregard for rules, nope, would’ve made a scene.

I almost do not want to post my experience in playoffs friday night....ya' ll might start calling me a foul sheriff. :grin-square:

My team had both 8 and 9 ball going on at the same time. We faced a team that was playing 8 ball only and the other one was playing 9 ball only so they both had me at a disadvantage having their whole roster available against me and I was splitting my roster against both of them.

In 8 ball I threw a 5 and they countered with a 5. We won 2-1 They threw a 6 and I threw another 5. They won 3-0 . I threw my self and figured they would throw either their 7 or remaining 5. They threw a 3 ! Fvckdrs dumped on me !

Now I am gonna try and keep this short but a whole lotta drama arose in my match. So its a 4-2 race. I won the lag and dry broke. She ran 6 balls and missed her last ball. Now while running those 6 balls she commited 2 fouls and both times I asked...i have bih right ? She simply says hole and keeps shooting. So when I get to the table I have q cluster to deal with and have the 8 blocked with one of my balls. So I run a few and pls safe. She comes up with an efren type z kick making ber last ball and breaking the 8 out which she promptly pockets. Holy crap . This 3 is on the hill only one inning in the match ! So second rack starts and on her third shot she commits another foul ...ahe made a ball ever time she fouled btw. I ask again ...bih ...she goes nope and continues shooting. After her next shot she gets down and is going to shoot with one of my balls partially blocking hers and I go hold on...i want an observer. She is visibly pissed and asks why. I go...why !? Because it apparent you are the type od person that does not call fouls on their self....thats why ! And yea I am pretty po'd at this point.

Sure enough she fouls . I run the table. 3 rd rack I run a few balls and just block a pocket. She runs a few and I holler for the same observer again. I get bih and run a few balls and then she calls for an observer. Wtf ? She does not have a ball any where near where I am shooting at. Btw...this is the same guy who I called...he works for the lo. I make a few balls and she comes to the table...i holler for the observer ....this time he stays at the table watching the whole rack as I win again. Now she is all upset...grabs the balls out od the tray...throws them on the table without racking them and then takes what seems like a 20 minute bathroom break....probably more like 15 but you get the point. I win this rack also and only had to call the observer one time cause she only shot once.

So now its hill-hill. I run a few...she runs a few...neither one of us called an observer...yet. I get on the 8 for the winning shot ...straight in a side pocket . I het down on the shot and she jumps up and comes to the table calling for an observer...wtf !!!?? her nearest ball is 4 inches to the left of me. Pure and simple asshole move.. I win 2-1. So now they throw their 7. I have a 5 and a 3 left. I doubt if my 5 can beat their 7 and if their 2... all they can throw with out going over... is anything like their 3 my 3 cant handle her. So elect to dump my 3....hey ...reap what you sow . Sure enough their 7 wins 3-0. I throw my 5.. They counter with a 5. Wtf ? Now regular session I pipe up and tell them the fixin fo mess up. Now complete silence on my part. Once the first ball is hit I politely tell them they went over handicap.

Now for a complete opposite experience. Like I said ...we are playing 9 ball also. It got to the 5th match and my throw and we are down by 4 points. I have me....who is just starting the hill- hill rack in 8 ball...a 5 and a 3 left. Now ..yea a lil conceit here. I feel I have the best chance at beating their 7 . So I ask the captain if he will wait until I finish my 8 ball match to play the last 9 ball. Sure he says. Now he could have made me throw my 5 but he gave us a chance to beat them. Well I didn't lol.

2 different teams ...2 completely different experience's.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won both my 8 and 9 ball matches last night. Team won 3/2 3/2 and we are starting to roll. It is an abbreviated 10 week session and we are now only 2 games out of 1st in 8 ball and have a 3 game lead in 9 ball.