or lower the attempt price to $1

what do people pay to try high run at the derby $100
and what do they win? a few thousand?

offer me some 1,000 to one propositions

knocking for the sake of knocking is bad business for pool

if you like a game bet
if you don't,don't,but it is considered
poor form to knock

Dont get pissy just because someone (me) pointed out that NOBODY can win that bet.....nobody on the planet!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
open to anyone
$1000 pr attempt

would anyone like to take a shot at the money?

anyone can play
straight pool rules,627 consecutive ball run to win $1000,000

or put up $100 pr attempt to win $10,000

my 9 foot gold crown,new 4.5 pockets and level
no tricks
So it is for $100,000 or for $1 million stated in your 3rd sentence? I assume that was a typo on your part as it is obviously a huge difference? I assume you define per attempt as just one opportunity with ball-in-hand to start until you miss? That's not much of a gamble on your part and you won't have any takers. Now if you give them a set period of say one day - 12 hours, to accomplish the run, unlimited attempts, $100 to win $10,000 or $1,000 to win $100,000, that would be a little more enticing, but you'll have to prove you have the $$ on hand up front to pay it out if it happens! Also, as a run of that length will take 4+ hours, the player is allowed to complete the current run they are on when the clock strikes 12 hours, otherwise they'd only really have +/- 8 hours to accomplish it.

We have 2 incredibly tough / tight tables in our room - a 9-footer with 4-1/8" pockets and a 10-footer with 4-1/4" pockets. I've thought seriously of offering any player a $1,000 buy-in to win $10,000 if they can successfully run 20 consecutive racks of 14.1 (280 balls) on either table of their choice, 12 hours of unlimited attempts plus allowance to end current run if over 12 hours. I seriously doubt anyone could do it on either of these tables, but at this point, unlike yourself, I just can't afford the $10,000 to risk potentially losing on such a proposition.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hahaha...

On this one, only broken after fifty plus decades...

I'd spend a dollar to win a million.

That's about the odds here. Is that lottery, or getting hit with lightning...

All the best,
WW

JC

Coos Cues
So it is for $100,000 or for $1 million stated in your 3rd sentence? I assume that was a typo on your part as it is obviously a huge difference? I assume you define per attempt as just one opportunity with ball-in-hand to start until you miss? That's not much of a gamble on your part and you won't have any takers. Now if you give them a set period of say one day - 12 hours, to accomplish the run, unlimited attempts, $100 to win $10,000 or $1,000 to win $100,000, that would be a little more enticing, but you'll have to prove you have the $$ on hand up front to pay it out if it happens!

Doesn't matter how much it's for the prize money is safe.

JC

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
At least with $1000 in lottery tickets I have a chance at winning. If it took JS 100 tries after preparing for months or years the guy that's arguably the best in the world has a 1% chance of winning this proposition and everyone else has a fraction of a percent.

Mosconi wouldn't take this bet if he was alive and I wouldn't stake him.

Sent from my SM-G 950U using Tapatalk

Fools gold.............4.5 pockets and JS had 5'' pockets. That's like night and day.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i told my wife i was going to risk $100,000 against a possible $1000

she said we can lose $100,000 or win a lousy $1,000

"you must be crazy"

which one of you would like to risk $100,000 to win $100 ? It doesn't sound too
profitable to me

no tricks,no gimmicks,excellent playing conditions,standard pool table
best cloth

i ,myself have always been a sucker for big odds,say 1000 to 1

my thinking is what if i lose $1,000 life goes on
but if i win $100,000, now that is a life changer if i am a pool player

now if you only have a few hundred to risk,win $10,000 for every $100 you bet

in fact I will let you guys shoot at Mosconi's old record

again no gimmicks,no funky table,or odd ball rules

i could even put up a challenge style table like at the derby

don't get me wrong,i am trying to win,but aren't we all

If JS put up every attempt you would be a rich man ,

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish my table had 5.25 inch pockets
if anyone has a gold crown 5 with bigger pockets,i will trade my rails for yours and I will let the boys still shoot at $100,000 running 600 balls

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
"i myself have always been a sucker for big odds,say 1000 to 1"

...makes 100:1 proposition that is a total lock in his favor

qdhrMfo.png

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The issue is that it's a proposition with 1 billion:1 odds that pays 100:1 money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The issue is that it's a proposition with 1 billion:1 odds that pays 100:1 money.
So all a pool player has to do is find a backer.:thumbup:

I want to see what happens when the player burns through $50k on the first three days with high runs of "only" 472, 390, and 345. Is that the right time to double the bet?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish my table had 5.25 inch pockets
if anyone has a gold crown 5 with bigger pockets,i will trade my rails for yours and I will let the boys still shoot at $100,000 running 600 balls
You said 627 before. Are you changing the proposition?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I have questions. How does the attempt (or the record for that matter) start ? Off the game-opening break ?

Dave <-- just curious

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have questions. How does the attempt (or the record for that matter) start ? Off the game-opening break ?

Dave <-- just curious
The usual for high-run competitions is to start from a more or less usual break shot for 14.1 with cue ball and one object ball placed as desired.

John Schmidt was usually starting with a standard side-of-the-rack break shot. He did try one break shot with the object ball straight in along the head rail and played it as a full masse shot, but it didn't work out well. :smile:

At DCC many started with the object ball on the center spot.

Here is the start of a 421 run (with an extra break shot from a failed run at the start)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwoFcbK4Ls

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. I figured it must be something like that. A bit contrived IMO but then this kind of exhibition needs a start of some kind, and without an opponent to miss I guess this is the best one can do.

Dave

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Bob...More than a year ago Bob Owen (co-founder of OB cues) offered a $100,000 award to anyone who could break Mosconi's record. The caveat was it had to be done on Don's personal table, and video-recorded by Don's guy. There was no fee involved, but nobody stepped up, perhaps because it had to be done at Don's home in TX.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quick correction: It was Don Owen, not Bob Owen. Don founded OB cues.
Bob Owen is a cuemaker in Wichita, KS, and is Gabe’s dad. :thumbup:

Will Prout

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you define an "attempt" Is it one day, one week, one month at a time like John did? I think that 30 consecutive days defining an "attempt" would be a fair offer - I don't know why some of the top pros would not accept that challenge. It might be easy for some of them to find a backer for this attempt at a 50/50 split on the $100K.

Hahahahaahahahahahahahha , funniest post ever.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. I figured it must be something like that. A bit contrived IMO but then this kind of exhibition needs a start of some kind, and without an opponent to miss I guess this is the best one can do.

Dave

Your correct but about exhibitions but, when talking about coming to table after opponent misses vs just taking ball in hand with ghost play, consider the following:

My high is 156 and my average daily high is ~60 to ~70ish with a bad day being 40ish.

Ok, your my opponent, you break and scratch, if im having a bad day, im gonna run "up to" 40ish at best and miss.

If its a good day, well, i will run "up to" 60, 70ish or more but, ......not "every inning" (just to be clear). There would, as always be innings that end with 14 or less balls and then SAFETY battle.

Point being is an opponent doesn't matter to me.......PERIOD. I dont care WHO they are, not one damn bit. As a matter of fact, the better my opponent, the more likely ill see "my" best play. Doesn't mean ill win but, at least "ill play better" win or lose.

What does matter and what does affect me? Whew.....it is the BET! If the bet gets out of my comfortable zone, well, like most mortals, my numbers and safes plummet.

The BET is what puts pressure on me. Ive played people that are capable of running 150 and out on any given day but, i still put up 70+ ball runs when they did finaly miss or shoot a weak safe. Sure, the safe being weak or the missed shot was rare but, thems the rolls even for the elite, why?

That little piece of chalk the cue ball hits and causes it to curve, doesn't care whos holding the cue.

A FYI:

I know a couple of players that will intentionally put chalk bits on table as well as make table unlevel on purpose before playing a very strong 14.1 player.

Does that chalk bits etc..etc and them knowing ahead of time help them beat world beaters? Nope, but ive seen weak "a" level players take down strong shortstops by doing it when the race was to ~75. Seen that several times. Lol....the shortstop always figures it out but, its almost always to late. Its usually the last match they'll play on that table or with that person. Again though, thems the rolls when gambling with stranger's on a strange to you table.

Aint life grand?

Jeff