What if...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What if pool was still played on 10 footers? What if the table bed was higher, like in the old days and the game to play was still straightpool? I wonder if I would still be playing as much pool as before, or if I'd have to take long breaks from the game every couple of years like I do now?

I'm playing a lot of snooker at the moment, at a private club. The tables are beautifully maintained by all the members, the cloths are match cloths the balls are the best around. Even the house cues are fantastic. Best of all, I havent been hit by a flying cueball since I started there. There is no shouting, very little cursing, people compliment you on your shots and root for you to make big breaks. The game is quiet, thoughtful and elegant. No jumping, no power breaks just soft and medium kicks and soft, delicate shots. The occational power shot is so well hit, it doesn't really stand out in sound or appearance. No flying cues, slamming triangles, gimmicky plastick sheets on the tables... The table is brushed and blocked after every session and is always perfect when you arrive. It's heaven for the serious player.

Then I made the mistake of going back to my (very serious) pool hall. Practising 14.1 in the corner of a near empty hall, naturally a good player picks the table next to mine and dumps his ball tray from 2 feet in the air onto the surface. Then he starts practising his break, jumping off the table every other break, screaming profanities every time. I actually don't really object to swearing morally, I just get so sick of it. Please expand your vocabulary if you're going to commentate every shot. This was actually a very accomplished player, yet his cueball spent more time on the ground than on the surface. Then the jump practise started....I've spent an ungodly amount of time practising my jump shots, but I can't remember jumping off the table quite so much. Nor did I have a tip that sounded like glass breaking. Naturally I'd always seek out the corners furthest away from others when doing this. It should be common sense. I much prefer a noisy bar to this kind of disturbance, and this was one guy in a huge pool hall. When the hall is full it's ten times worse. Pool has probably always been like this, it's just that I changed. It's ok, I don't have to go there, but I wonder why I loved this so much before. I loved jump shots, it was my favourite shot in the whole world. I guess I got middle aged.

Having changed with age, I wonder what it would be like if pool changed to what I'd prefer it to be like now. I know it will never happen but I dream of a quiet hall of large, tall tables with a quiet, meditative atmosphere, clean cloth and balls. And the quiet sounds of 14.1 and maybe one pocket. Maybe that would just be a small separate department, and the rest of the hall could be dedicated to the "noisy" games? Would more people enjoy it, or fewer? Would the quality of the peoples experience be enhanced overall, no matter what their preference?

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Private clubs are sooo much better.
TRAIN your houseman people!
This kind of thing happens all the time.
WHY would you ever take or put a player on the table RIGHT next to someone when there is no need for it.
Drives me nutz.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No thanks, though I can see the obvious benefits as described in the OP.

Being just 5' 8," a ten foot table, and being higher than normal would mean my having to use a crutch just about every other shot. No thanks.

One of the principle reasons I've been playing almost exclusively bar boxes recently is that I never have to use a crutch. Being a rhythm player, having to stop and get out a crutch, and go through the mechanics, etc. just messes with my rhythm at this point.

Plus, and this has nothing to do with playing on ten foot tables, but I like a certain amount of background noise at this point. Guess I've been playing in too many bars over the years, but I like some decent music in the background, and the idle chatter of the bar patrons. When it's too quiet I tend to look around too much and it's harder for me to focus on the table. YMMV.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Being just 5' 8," a ten foot table, and being higher than normal would mean my having to use a crutch just about every other shot. No thanks.

One of the principle reasons I've been playing almost exclusively bar boxes recently is that I never have to use a crutch. Being a rhythm player, having to stop and get out a crutch, and go through the mechanics, etc. just messes with my rhythm at this point.

Plus, and this has nothing to do with playing on ten foot tables, but I like a certain amount of background noise at this point. Guess I've been playing in too many bars over the years, but I like some decent music in the background, and the idle chatter of the bar patrons. When it's too quiet I tend to look around too much and it's harder for me to focus on the table. YMMV.

It is no accident that so many great players are relatively short. Tall players get back problems from the lowness of the table, some before their talent can fully develop.. The height of the snooker tables bed is just about Perfect for an average European or American man, which is about my height. The pool tables bed heights are better suited for below Western average height males, females or children.. Naturally the backproblems can be mitigated by a higher stance, but this is a competitive disadvantage, thus the Shorter man or woman can not only play better sometimes, but also keep their careers going for longer.

Also, restplay, while a big part of snooker, is actually not as prevalent even on the 6 by 12 as you'd think. With training you can avoid it to a great extent. Can't speak to the rhytm part of it, I Guess that is unavoidable pitfall. The 5 by 10 should be even less demanding of Your restplay, depending on Your planning of course.

I don't really mind a little bit of background noise, though you'd be surprised how relaxing a quiet atmosphere can actually be, once you get spoiled. Yeah, Yeah I know all about the Filipino gambling matches. I watch them every now and then. I find them entertaining, but I'd hate to actually play in one in a 50 degree C shed With dirt floor and 100 People crowding the table and mopeds whizzing by. But even that is better than being next to a jackass that can't Control his cueball enough to keep it on the table Surface. That, to me, is unacceptable.

Last edited:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member

All I hear are excuses...

Bar-box pool are for beginners, amateurs and bangers... period. If you think being good on a barbox (coin-op) table makes you good, I got news for you: "It does not!" I've been there, I've done that. In the end, you will feel cheap and depleted. If you get good on a snooker table, you will ask yourself why you ever started on those buckets.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
What if pool was still played on 10 footers? What if the table bed was higher, like in the old days and the game to play was still straightpool? I wonder if I would still be playing as much pool as before, or if I'd have to take long breaks from the game every couple of years like I do now?

I'm playing a lot of snooker at the moment, at a private club. The tables are beautifully maintained by all the members, the cloths are match cloths the balls are the best around. Even the house cues are fantastic. Best of all, I havent been hit by a flying cueball since I started there. There is no shouting, very little cursing, people compliment you on your shots and root for you to make big breaks. The game is quiet, thoughtful and elegant. No jumping, no power breaks just soft and medium kicks and soft, delicate shots. The occational power shot is so well hit, it doesn't really stand out in sound or appearance. No flying cues, slamming triangles, gimmicky plastick sheets on the tables... The table is brushed and blocked after every session and is always perfect when you arrive. It's heaven for the serious player.

Then I made the mistake of going back to my (very serious) pool hall. Practising 14.1 in the corner of a near empty hall, naturally a good player picks the table next to mine and dumps his ball tray from 2 feet in the air onto the surface. Then he starts practising his break, jumping off the table every other break, screaming profanities every time. I actually don't really object to swearing morally, I just get so sick of it. Please expand your vocabulary if you're going to commentate every shot. This was actually a very accomplished player, yet his cueball spent more time on the ground than on the surface. Then the jump practise started....I've spent an ungodly amount of time practising my jump shots, but I can't remember jumping off the table quite so much. Nor did I have a tip that sounded like glass breaking. Naturally I'd always seek out the corners furthest away from others when doing this. It should be common sense. I much prefer a noisy bar to this kind of disturbance, and this was one guy in a huge pool hall. When the hall is full it's ten times worse. Pool has probably always been like this, it's just that I changed. It's ok, I don't have to go there, but I wonder why I loved this so much before. I loved jump shots, it was my favourite shot in the whole world. I guess I got middle aged.

Having changed with age, I wonder what it would be like if pool changed to what I'd prefer it to be like now. I know it will never happen but I dream of a quiet hall of large, tall tables with a quiet, meditative atmosphere, clean cloth and balls. And the quiet sounds of 14.1 and maybe one pocket. Maybe that would just be a small separate department, and the rest of the hall could be dedicated to the "noisy" games? Would more people enjoy it, or fewer? Would the quality of the peoples experience be enhanced overall, no matter what their preference?

You just described my wet dream!

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I hear are excuses...

Bar-box pool are for beginners, amateurs and bangers... period. If you think being good on a barbox (coin-op) table makes you good, I got news for you: "It does not!" I've been there, I've done that. In the end, you will feel cheap and depleted. If you get good on a snooker table, you will ask yourself why you ever started on those buckets.

Haha. Not sure where you're angst is coming from, but they aren't excuses, sweetheart. I've played on just about every type of table that exists over four decades. In that time I've gone through the four stages, twice now. Being in the fourth stage once again, I play the way I want to play, period.

Never said I was good. In fact, in the entire 40+ years I've been playing pool, whether on bar boxes or 9 footers I never described myself as good. I let my play speak for itself.

And I've played long enough against enough "good" players to know about where I stand, but thanks for your uninformed input. It's cute really.

But if it makes you feel better calling me a "beginner" or a "banger" by all means, have at it, little boy. It's not the worst thing I've been called by a longshot.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I liked the quiet halls even as a youngster

I liked the quiet dignified halls even as a youngster. If somebody was having difficulty keeping the balls on the table they would get a quiet warning from the houseman.

I think that the height of pool tables has always been low, the difference is that we have gotten taller. I played at a hall that had raised their tables three or four inches a few times. At six-two I had no problem dealing with the extra height and it was more comfortable. However, my stance always seemed wrong.

I was playing on everything from bar tables to snooker tables most days. Each had unique challenges and skills required. If I had a dollar for every time somebody said bar tables were too easy then got beaten like a drum on one I certainly wouldn't be putting my own dollars in a pool table this year. If bar tables are too easy, raise the bet. I found that fifty a game or more against an unknown or very tough player tightened the table up nicely!

Hu

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wouldn't worry about the rest so much, I'm a fraction shorter than you and even on a snooker table I don't need it that much!

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I'm a League player and I've won so many patches I have to wear a drover's coat so they'll all be on display. I carry a 3 x 6 case that holds 3 jump cues, so my ball is in the air a lot. I learned to cuss when I first started selling drugs. Luckily, I spent a lot of that drug money on my tats. When Mom can't drop me off, I ride my 10 speed to the poolroom. That's tougher since I turned 60. Mom says since I'm dumber than a box of rocks, I should try out as a pool match commentator.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’ve always hated music lol. Occasionally I go through phases where I do love music for a time but that’s when I’m at home. When you’re out and about (other than @ a concert) I feel like music just gets in the way. It makes it hard to focus on conversations and now everyone around is getting louder trying to talk over the incessant noise, people act differently in general when they feel like they’re sort of “covered” by the music.

If they just didn’t have a Jbox at the pool hall I think that would sort of work all on its own to cultivate that nice atmosphere, only a certain type of person would regularly visit after a while. The only problem is that there probably aren’t enough people wanting that to make it viable....that private club seems like the way to go.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Hey, I'm a League player and I've won so many patches I have to wear a drover's coat so they'll all be on display. I carry a 3 x 6 case that holds 3 jump cues, so my ball is in the air a lot. I learned to cuss when I first started selling drugs. Luckily, I spent a lot of that drug money on my tats. When Mom can't drop me off, I ride my 10 speed to the poolroom. That's tougher since I turned 60. Mom says since I'm dumber than a box of rocks, I should try out as a pool match commentator.

Post of the yr thank youse for it