Mother drills?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and that is because everyone who knows them also know that they are completely worthless.. without the instruction that goes along with them

here I'll give you 2 of them

shoot a stripe ball into a pocket without using a cueball..

see what I mean?

have a nice day:thumbup:

Agreed!

The mother drills are a series of drills to improve your stroke and speed control. Each one concentrates on a specific part of the stroke, ingraining that until it becomes second nature. To be told the specific mother drills without an explanation of what each accomplishes, and how it applies to your personal stroke would be of little value. Scott Lee took about 2 hours teaching me the mother drills. They are very simple drills, but explanation over that time is what gave them gret value.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
:)
For once I am in the know and just like someone already posted it can't be explained. You actually do need the instruction for them to be effective.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. This is what the OP asked for. He wants to know what they are. Didn't ask anything about how useful or of what benefit. All he wanted to know is what they are.

I don't think "all he wanted to know" is what they are. Why would you ask that if you were not curious as to whether or not they would help you. People are hesitant to just say what they are because they aren't just a series of 7 drills. They are 7 drills given to you in response to a video analysis and breakdown of your stroke, followed by a template specific to your stroke that allows you to be able to tell if you are correctly accomplishing what you are suppossed to with each drill. This template help shows you if your grip, stroke length, finish point, etc are correct. If you do not have this, then you do not have the mother drills. Thus, to just put up a page of drills or an explanation of the specific drills themselves falls short of exlpaining what they are and why they work. People aren't being secretive, they are simply telling you that the question can not be answered that easily. Like I said, it took approx 2 hours to go over the mother drills and their meaning, another hour of video analysis to see where my stroke was, and what i wanted to focus on during the drills, and about 45 minutes creating and discussing a template that allowed me to evaluate each stroke during the drills. How could someone explain all of that in a post on the internet.

By the way, Daves post does not answer the question. He did not ask what are some drills. He asked specifically what the mother drills are, and that is not answered here.

I hope this post helps people back off these instructors a little when they don't "divulge" the secrets of the mother drills. It is simply more involved than an internet post can accomplish, and is specific to your stroke, grip, bridge, stance, etc.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
:)
For once I am in the know and just like someone already posted it can't be explained. You actually do need the instruction for them to be effective.

So tell us. Can simply shooting a ball into a pocket help your game?
Has it helped your game?

Steve

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHen I first had my lesson, I started doing the drills for about an hour a night. I know Scott says they should only take 20-30 minutes, but that did not work at first. There was a remarkable change in the repeatable accuracy of my stroke that I noticed within about 2-3 wks. I felt much more confident shooting balls, and did not realize the inaccuracy I had before, even when making balls, until that time.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just wondering because I've been playing for a long time and had never heard that term until recently.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me understand this correctly. They are called 'Mother' drills because it implies going back to the basics and the root of things. The only way I would see its use, is for someone who has already a flawed stroke/cue delivery and bad habits.

Why would someone with no apparent 'flaws' need to follow these drills since they would rather work on other aspects of the game because they have already 'mastered' (relative term) the physicality of a smooth stroke and to stay down on each shot?

Then again, I have no idea what they are so I am not judging them by any means. I just find that the name sounds 'will help those who can't do like it should be done' to me and would leave others(people with good technique) on their appetite.

Please enlighten me, I just want to know more.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Let me understand this correctly. They are called 'Mother' drills because it implies going back to the basics and the root of things. The only way I would see its use, is for someone who has already a flawed stroke/cue delivery and bad habits.

Why would someone with no apparent 'flaws' need to follow these drills since they would rather work on other aspects of the game because they have already 'mastered' (relative term) the physicality of a smooth stroke and to stay down on each shot?

Then again, I have no idea what they are so I am not judging them by any means. I just find that the name sounds 'will help those who can't do like it should be done' to me and would leave others(people with good technique) on their appetite.

even though football season is months away Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are working on their fundamentals

even though we are in the middle of the NBA playoffs those teams are still being coached daily on their fundamentals..

little league kids and Major league baseball players worked on their fundamentals today

tigers and his coach focused tirelessly on fundamentals to get ready for the masters..

fundamentals never STAY perfect without diligent practice

regardless of the level you play at..

just something to think about:D

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
We don't need no stink'in fundamentals!! :mad:

Pool is the only game or sport that you don't have to practice fundamentals. ;)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mantis 99...Glad to hear they helped you create your process. While 2-3 weeks may work for some, it may take longer for others. The key, of course, is to stick with your disciplined practice routine, until it comes easily.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

WHen I first had my lesson, I started doing the drills for about an hour a night. I know Scott says they should only take 20-30 minutes, but that did not work at first. There was a remarkable change in the repeatable accuracy of my stroke that I noticed within about 2-3 wks. I felt much more confident shooting balls, and did not realize the inaccuracy I had before, even when making balls, until that time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimbojim...Let me give you another perspective. Tiger Woods has argueably the most accurate and repeatable swing in golf. Yet three times in the past 10 years he has changed his swing. Why?...Because he knows he can be even better, and each time he changed it, he came back better than ever. The SPF process is about "finding yourself". It's about figuring out what you like, and don't like, about your personal process. The only way to understand that is to have your process video analyzed, and watch it "up close and personal", in slow-motion/stop-action. Once you figure out what you like, and what you want to change, you utilize the Mother Drills, along with your template and mantra (which are all things that you pick out for yourself), to ingrain the changes, while keeping the things you like. With some disciplined practice routines, the "new and improved" process begins to replace your old one...until you can't remember how you used to do it...because the new way has become an ingrained habit. That doesn't mean you won't make any errors...it means you'll likely make less, and when you do, you already have a built-in "fix it" program, which allows you to self-correct in one shot. Consequently slumps last, on average, one shot, instead of days, weeks or months. Your confidence soars, which make your 'playing game' much easier to employ and implement the mental and physical strategies that we collect, from years of competition. I hope this explains it better. If you watched yourself on video, and thought you were perfect already, there would be no point in making any changes. Unfortunately the TV doesn't lie! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many good drills from many sources online. But, speaking from personal experience I found the mother drills I learned at pool school to very useful in, as Scott said, developing a reliable consistent stroke. If I feel I need to work on my stroke I just starting doing the drills. I do the speed drill often. I also do the first drill of shooting the ball into a pocket without the cue ball. This helps in just developing a constisten stroke and follow through.
The first drill is not just shooting the ball. As it has been mentioned it is what you are thinking of and concentrating on as you do this drill.

Captain K.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bad taste

got in from having a great time shootin and drinking, so if it were not for mother drills, none of us would be here. ;)

STICKBNDER

Cajun Transplant
Silver Member
mother drills

prob the best investment a person can make to improve. i highly recomend seeing Randy G. or equal if you have the chance. The Mother drills seem basic, but do wonders for improving your overall fundamentals. Even if some one gave you the 7 mother drills, without teaching how to use, and what goes along with them, they are pretty much a waste of time. BUT with proper training, they are worth gold.
:thumbup:

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not playing perfect by any means hahaha but I would love to see myself play on TV.

Thanks for your detailed explanation Scott, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Good day:)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
magic!

So what are all the mother drills?

Dave,

The mother drills are great and wonderful, damned near magic. However nobody can comprehend them just by having them explained or diagrammed on the internet you need one on one time with a master to be able to use them . . . . Let me know when this starts sounding familiar!! :D :D :D

Hu (humor guys, don't get too excited)