Proper Torque to Tighten Rail Bolts - Diamond Pro

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

I have a quick question for a mechanic...

When using a torque wrench to tighten a loose rail bolt, what is the recommended amount of torque to use? My table is a Diamond Pro.

Thanks,
Jeff

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am no mechanic but it seems to me it was 12 or 14 pounds. You better wait around until the real experts wake up.;)

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Hello all,

I have a quick question for a mechanic...

When using a torque wrench to tighten a loose rail bolt, what is the recommended amount of torque to use? My table is a Diamond Pro.

Thanks,
Jeff

13 to 15 foot pounds is just right

realkingcobra

Silver Member
what does 15 lbs of torque translate to in holding pressure?

It translates to enough hold down pressure on a set of Diamond rails as to hold them in place so they can't be moved, the rails sound right when banking balls...and to not cause any damage to the threaded rail bolt inserts, the rail bolts, bolt washers, or the wood around the threaded rail bolt insert.......any thing beyond that....don't matter:confused::wink:

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
Would the 15lbs hold true for just about any table re the crushing of wood Crash mentioned?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I am not a mechanic so anybody that takes this reply and goes off and tears up a brand new GCV or Diamond Pro-Am its your own fault.

I work in a building with 500 engineers and this is what I got .... What you're really asking is what is the clamp load. The tension in a typical galvanized 9/16 bolt (3/8 diameter) torqued to 15 ftlbs it is ~2000 lbs. But that is distributed over two surfaces with 1 1/2 inch diameter washers/nut plates. All being being directly proportional to the tension that would give you ~ 1000lbs/sq-inch clamp load.

Re-read paragraph 1. I follow this forum for fun, entertainment, and to make my own table better. My pool table, I just tighten them till they feel "right", making sure not to crush the wood around the nut-plate slots. My propeller is 15 ftlbs because Sensenich Propeller Company says so. I forgot one time and used metal prop torque specs (25 ftlbs) and messed up a $1300 wood prop.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Would the 15lbs hold true for just about any table re the crushing of wood Crash mentioned?

The torque varies depending on what kind of table and what kind of rail bolt fasteners are uses. For example, Olhausen uses a 5/16" rail bolt going into a zink T-nut with 3 prongs to hold it from spinning in the rail, while other tables use a stamped out washer plate mounted with 3 wood screws into the rail to hold it in place, then a threaded hole in the center is what the rail bolts thread into.

OTLB

Banned
So Crash, are you saying 15 lbs is more than needed to hold a rail down? If so, perhaps your buddies or you could establish a number?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So Crash, are you saying 15 lbs is more than needed to hold a rail down? If so, perhaps your buddies or you could establish a number?

Sure John....just as soon as YOU go to every table manufacture that has ever built a pool/billiard/snooker table....and make them go back and change every rail they've ever built through out history....to the exact same system of bolting down the rails....THEN....one size would fit all....otherwise....all you're doing again....is starting your shit with me!;)

OTLB

Banned
I guess a rail bolt and a propeller need to be tightened up the same amount then.

Personally I think 15 lbs is way too much but Crash could help figure out some real specs for us perhaps.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gc iv

The torque varies depending on what kind of table and what kind of rail bolt fasteners are uses. For example, Olhausen uses a 5/16" rail bolt going into a zink T-nut with 3 prongs to hold it from spinning in the rail, while other tables use a stamped out washer plate mounted with 3 wood screws into the rail to hold it in place, then a threaded hole in the center is what the rail bolts thread into.

What's the torque value on a GC IV?
Thanks,
Bill

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
Of the 4 engineers (mechanical and civil) I ran this question by with the parameters I posted, all agreed that the torque specs "would" depend on the "wood". It stands to reason then that there is no one torque value that would apply to all tables.

A quick internet search found a website that says to tighten rails until "snug". Another says to use "light to medium torque"??? Another says when you "hear wood cracking they're too tight":eek: These site were generic pool table sites, not any particular brand.

Last edited: