Replacing single leather pocket webbing?

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' Brunswick "Heirloom" table that I imagine is about 30 or 40 yrs old. The pockets are leather drop pockets with tassels. The webbing of the pockets has split in a couple of spots and needs to be replaced. Is it possible to replace just the webbing part, without replacing the entire pocket (the hard leather part that covers the iron and the tassel? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide about where to purchase a single web piece and whether replacement is a possible DIY job for someone who is very capable with jobs like this (are special tools required?). Thank you.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I have a 9' Brunswick "Heirloom" table that I imagine is about 30 or 40 yrs old. The pockets are leather drop pockets with tassels. The webbing of the pockets has split in a couple of spots and needs to be replaced. Is it possible to replace just the webbing part, without replacing the entire pocket (the hard leather part that covers the iron and the tassel? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide about where to purchase a single web piece and whether replacement is a possible DIY job for someone who is very capable with jobs like this (are special tools required?). Thank you.
-

You'll mostly find replacements in complete sets, depending on how the leather is ripped/tore it might be able to be repaired by a shoe repairman or a luggage repairman- look in your local phone book or google search in your area.
If you have a photo of your pocket damage...? I might have a pointer or two for you if it can be saved.

Rob.M

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-

You'll mostly find replacements in complete sets, depending on how the leather is ripped/tore it might be able to be repaired by a shoe repairman or a luggage repairman- look in your local phone book or google search in your area.
If you have a photo of your pocket damage...? I might have a pointer or two for you if it can be saved.

Rob.M

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind purchasing a set of replacement webbings (if that is a word). Here's a link to a set:

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/leatw...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CKPatKqo-sECFfBj7AodGScASw

I just want to avoid spending around $200 (plus $ for installation) for a set of pockets that include all components (leather around the irons, tassels, webbing), which is what a local (to me) table mechanic inferred was the only option. The table isn't worth that kind of investment, and all I really need is one new webbing section. The damaged webbing has multiple splits in the locations where strips of leather are supposed to be joined together. Kind of like the junction of a "greater than" sign and a "lesser than" sign, if you know what I mean (like this: ><). I have attempted to attach a photo. Hopefully I succeeded.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 252

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
those will work for you, you'll need to hand sew them with wax thread. I also sell them at http://wsbilliardsupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=143

I have dark brown in stock and I'll throw in the wax thread kit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind purchasing a set of replacement webbings (if that is a word). Here's a link to a set:

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/leatw...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CKPatKqo-sECFfBj7AodGScASw

I just want to avoid spending around $200 (plus $ for installation) for a set of pockets that include all components (leather around the irons, tassels, webbing), which is what a local (to me) table mechanic inferred was the only option. The table isn't worth that kind of investment, and all I really need is one new webbing section. The damaged webbing has multiple splits in the locations where strips of leather are supposed to be joined together. Kind of like the junction of a "greater than" sign and a "lesser than" sign, if you know what I mean (like this: ><). I have attempted to attach a photo. Hopefully I succeeded.

Thank you.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
An easy fix could be to use a small "zip tie" to hold the separated pieces of webbing back together.
Zip-ties.jpg

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
those will work for you, you'll need to hand sew them with wax thread. I also sell them at http://wsbilliardsupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=143

I have dark brown in stock and I'll throw in the wax thread kit.

Thanks for the reply, Donny. I'm probably missing something, but I'm a bit confused. If I were to get a new leather basket (webbing only), wouldn't the installation require screwing the new basket into the wood members? Where would the wax thread come into play? As I write this, I'm realizing that the thread might be required to secure the basket to the iron or leather around the iron, where there is no wood member ...

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Thanks for the reply, Donny. I'm probably missing something, but I'm a bit confused. If I were to get a new leather basket (webbing only), wouldn't the installation require screwing the new basket into the wood members? Where would the wax thread come into play? As I write this, I'm realizing that the thread might be required to secure the basket to the iron or leather around the iron, where there is no wood member ...

no, if you look where the basket attaches to the pocket it either sewn or riveted. If it riveted that will make it easy because the holes are already there.