I have a table, set of balls, and a stick....now what?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have 1 year to become the best player on the planet, no time for stuff that doesn't work, what do I do?

If you're terminally ill and have just a year to live, go for it and good luck trying to get as far as you can in your pursuit of excellence. You'd be an inspiration to us all.

Otherwise, give up now. You're destined for failure with the goal stated and you won't, I fear, become the first ever good player that didn't have to endure "stuff that doesn't work" on the way to excellence.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would buy Mark Wilson's book, Play Great Pool, and read it. Great stuff there.

I would take a lesson with a good instructor, I can recommend Scott Lee, I took a lot away from my time with him. This would probably be a good thing to do a couple times throughout the year if you're really serious.

Get a notebook and start taking notes. Write down shots you're having trouble with, drills to work on and their results, thoughts pertaining to your stroke and setup, things like that.

I'm trying to build my game around a solid fundamental base and it's slow going, but I'm making progress. The above are all things I've found useful.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you're saying if I leave my family, drink a lot and smoke funky stuff, change my meds, and find a woman to warm the pockets with her feet I have a chance, but only if I'm terminally ill?

That's good news cause all along I thought it was hopeless! Thanks...I think we should make a video, probably better than some that are out there.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not telling him the truth is just like never teaching your kids what the word "NO" means. If he's just picking up a cue, and is expecting to be the best player on the planet within a year....he has no chance in hell. In fact, he may not even have the skills by years end to be a local favorite in a local tournament. Wanting to do something, no matter what kind of goals a person sets, don't mean they have, or ever will have the skills to back up the goal, even if that person practices 24/7 for a whole year. If mastering pool were that simple, there'd be a whole lot more top players out here, and still in their teens!!!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not telling him the truth is just like never teaching your kids what the word "NO" means. If he's just picking up a cue, and is expecting to be the best player on the planet within a year....he has no chance in hell. In fact, he may not even have the skills by years end to be a local favorite in a local tournament. Wanting to do something, no matter what kind of goals a person sets, don't mean they have, or ever will have the skills to back up the goal, even if that person practices 24/7 for a whole year. If mastering pool were that simple, there'd be a whole lot more top players out here, and still in their teens!!!

Maybe I should rephrase my original question.

If there are 3 players of equal skill levels, and there is a prize of $100,000 for the player who can improve the most in 1 year what should that player work on, and what should he not waste his time on? Forget the fundamentals, let's say they're pretty solid players to begin with, but are stuck at their current level.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe I should rephrase my original question.

If there are 3 players of equal skill levels, and there is a prize of $100,000 for the player who can improve the most in 1 year what should that player work on, and what should he not waste his time on? Forget the fundamentals, let's say they're pretty solid players to begin with, but are stuck at their current level.

That's a whole different question. There's 2 different parts of the game, 1 being the ability to control everything from the cue ball back, and 2 your knowledge of what to do, when to do it, and when not to do it, being the game you're playing. Without the skills to control the cue ball, it don't matter how well you can play the game in your head, if you can't make the shots, and 2, it don't matter how well you can make the balls if you don't know when, and how to defend your game, and when to go for the win, and exactly how to accomplish that goal.

But, the first place you start is from the cue ball backwards, being you, the machine operating your cue stick, the control of the cue ball to make it go where you want it, need it, to go in order to keep making the balls, by not missing a shot when you NEEDED to made it.

Then comes to ability from the cue ball forward, the knowledge it takes to know when to pocket a ball, when NOT to, how to tie up balls when needed....the list goes on and on. Then you need to be able to, on top of everything else I mentioned, have the insight to be able to read your opponent, know his weaknesses and his strengths, and when to stay away from one, or attack the other.....the game of pool is mastered by LIVING it, not just playing it.

Playing in the ZONE is living the game, in tune with it, feeling the balls and table as you're playing, your cue stick is an extension of your fingers and hands, you're just holding on, there's nothing you can't do....until that one little thing distracted you....and you miss, question is, did that miss cause you to lose, because what do you think your opponent is doing at that exact moment you missed, what do YOU think he's thinking? Do you really think you have any different goals than HE does?

Last edited:
I've been playing for a long time, won some local tournaments, and even beaten some pros. I posted this question to see what opinions everyone has on the best way to improve if you're really serious about improving. A lot of people like gimmicks and quick fixes, and there is a lot of bad stuff(books and videos) out there along with a lot of good stuff. Good sound advice from seasoned players and instructors is what I'm after, not only to help myself, but anyone else who is serious about improving...what is that one thing; practice drill, instructional advice, mental training...etc. that really took your game to a new level?....Thanks!

PT's post covers it.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 1 year to become the best player on the planet, no time for stuff that doesn't work, what do I do?

Take lessons from the right person once or twice a month, then work your ass off harder than everybody else. Set goals, develop surpreme confidence, but not so much as to impair your judgement. Play with people both worse than you and better than you. You must gamble in some way. It's the only way to put the pressure on you necessary to accel at the highest level. But do it intelligently. Read the best books. Always try to learn. Manage your mindset.

Eventually treat the game as life's first occupation (you did say best player on the planet lol).

Don't do it just for money, or you're likely to be very disappointed eventually. I'm sure there's more, but if you can do all of that, you have a non-zero shot :)