20150908_175327.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 20150908_175310.jpg
    20150908_175310.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 430

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of ideas for jigs..machines ..etc. They are a perfect foundation for a lot of jigs. Point milling jig, indexing jig for inlay or maybe even a long bed for a cue lathe. They are quite accurate, they were originaly used for optics. Anyway just fishing for build concepts.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
biggest question I see, is do you have anything that fits that rail, or does it have to be manufactured to fit? If the latter....then I recommend scrap yard, as having stuff made to fit it is too expensive and out of most people's range to make it practical. Without fittings, it's useless unless someone wants to donate $$$ to make fittings for them.
JMHO.
Dave

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of ideas for jigs..machines ..etc. They are a perfect foundation for a lot of jigs. Point milling jig, indexing jig for inlay or maybe even a long bed for a cue lathe. They are quite accurate, they were originaly used for optics. Anyway just fishing for build concepts.

In my experience, the very best machines, jigs, etc. are those that begin with a need or a problem to solve, and parts are sought out to meet the need or solve the problem. Conversely, the worst or most unnecessary machines are those that begin with, "Hey, I got these spare parts... what could I build out of them?"

Make of that what you will.

TW
(PS: Just put them in your bone-pile, and if a need arises that they can meet then you hit a home run.)

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
biggest question I see, is do you have anything that fits that rail, or does it have to be manufactured to fit? If the latter....then I recommend scrap yard, as having stuff made to fit it is too expensive and out of most people's range to make it practical. Without fittings, it's useless unless someone wants to donate $$$ to make fittings for them.
JMHO.
Dave

Making fittings is what I do as a day job, if you look closer in the picture you can see the milling machine table I have them resting on. So machining the mating parts is not a problem. I have three different lengths of rails but they are all the same size of dovetail so what ever attachments I make will fit any of the rails. They are very similar to the Taig lathe bed profile that Hightower uses but instead of aluminum they are cast which makes them much more stable.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some years ago there was a discussion here about using cast iron beds such as these as a foundation for a dovetail and building a cue lathe on that. They offer rigidity and mass which helps reduce vibration.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some years ago there was a discussion here about using cast iron beds such as these as a foundation for a dovetail and building a cue lathe on that. They offer rigidity and mass which helps reduce vibration.
My 2 cents,
Gary

This is my thinking as well.

ivicafranic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wendy would be delighted with this machine:smile::smile::p:smile::smile:
She is so crazy for this type of thing:p

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I would make a tapered fore arm borer out of it. One set has the head stock and steady for the stock, the other bed has a pair of carriages to use a fully supported boring tool. The second bed sits along aside of the main unit and then allows you to taper bore quite long bores at a very repeatable set up.
Just a thought. Lots can be done with great cast iron like that.
Like Thomas said, if you have a need, you will find a solution.
At least you have a base to build from.
Neil

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I would make a tapered fore arm borer out of it. One set has the head stock and steady for the stock, the other bed has a pair of carriages to use a fully supported boring tool. The second bed sits along aside of the main unit and then allows you to taper bore quite long bores at a very repeatable set up.
Just a thought. Lots can be done with great cast iron like that.
Like Thomas said, if you have a need, you will find a solution.
At least you have a base to build from.
Neil

Thanks for the idea Neil