How do you Aim Off to compensate for sidespin

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shouldn't you either be in a meeting or at the Carom Room? Make sure you introduce yourself, or have someone else introduce you to Dave Coles one of the nicest guys in the pool biz.

I'm at both!!!!

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you clarify what you mean when you refer to " Compensating for sidespin." Do you in fact, mean that you are compensating for deflection....which is the side - effect of cue ball spin?

Hi, what I meant was, if I introduce sidespin to the cue ball, the eventual contact point between cue ball and object ball will not be where you aimed at (unless under special circumstances). As such, you have to compensate for the difference in the contact point when you are aiming, such that the cue ball will contact the object ball at where you wanted.

Maybe my term is incorrect. To compensate for squirt and swerve or sqwerve would be more correct. My apologies.

For me, I usually aimed at point of contact to point of contact. Go down, BHE and shoot. That works for me. However, if there is an object ball blocking my bridge hand, then my bridge cannot be where it should be, then I will have to compensate. I have tried both method (compensate before going down for the shot and also after). Both seemed unnatural for the reasons I have posted in my first post.

I am not here to talk about my aiming system, but to know what most good players do to compensate for their sqwerve.

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SPOT ON.

easy-e, the mentality here seems to be that no instruction, no understanding, no analysis can help. You just shoot and learn over time.

Can you imagine if that's what coaches did in all sports? In golf, tennis, football, baseball, the coaches just say "get out there and play and your brain will learn what to do." No way. You learn technique. You do drill after drill cementing those techniques.

But somehow in pool you don't need that. Just get out there and gamble and you'll learn. It's ridiculous.

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he is using LD shaft. I understand that you do parallel aiming, and you do a little aiming off (if necessary).

I don't really know how an LD shaft works except that the deflection is small. I suppose the longer the distance the shot and the softer the shot, the less would be the difference in distance between the actual and aimed contact point. It is logical as swerve would come more into the picture.

This doesnt work..
I could show you on a table that you have learned to adjust every shot if you think "it works"...

But since we arent at a table, picture this:

Put a ball about 6 feet away (45 degree angle to the left corner pocket) and shoot it with left english.
If you hit it slowly with this english, you have to aim to the right of the eventual contact point as the CB will work its way left. (this isnt taking into account the incidental english or the spin induced throw either)
As you hit the CB harder with the same english, you will have to keep aiming further to the left until you eventually are basically aiming at the left side of the OB.

So, pointing your shaft at the contact point really only works for a particular distance, particular amount of spin and at an exact speed, using your shaft..?

Your way works for your but your system is really you adjusting off a baseline that isnt even close in half the shots you take.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Almost every the other countries, snooker, pool, and carom players laugh at the U.S players and there worry about aiming, silver bullet rip-offs, and 2K cues. No wonder why there are only 5 or 6 world class players here. Johnnyt

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Almost every the other countries, snooker, pool, and carom players laugh at the U.S players and there worry about aiming, silver bullet rip-offs, and 2K cues. No wonder why there are only 5 or 6 world class players here. Johnnyt

I know of 1(Shane) unless you are counting Shaw, Darren, and Alex. Who are the other 4? Lol.
There is not another US player that has even a slight chance of winning on a world stage/US Open event other than Shane.
Jason

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I know of 1(Shane) unless you are counting Shaw, Darren, and Alex. Who are the other 4? Lol.
There is not another US player that has even a slight chance of winning on a world stage/US Open event other than Shane.
Jason

Was being nice and hoped no one would call me nit. Johnnyt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am of the same opinion. So I go into the shot with the correct bridge length selected with my tips of English selected and I aim for the correct contact knowing that my sidespin and stroke will send the cue ball dead straight ahead.

It works great!

I'm with this! After reading five pages on this topic (supposedly) I honestly can't tell you anything else. I was never taught to do this and I'm not sure it can even BE taught. I never even gave this any thought until people started talking about LD shafts years ago and it's one reason I've been skeptical about them ever since.
Whatever.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ron V's system for Follow shots and inside english. You just need to be a little creative and expand his ideas and put some practice on the aim points and your stroke needs to be good.. When your done Absolutely No guess work and Only a couple of aim points. I have showed this to some top end players and how to use it and now they use it too. Low end players can put extreme english on with a small learning curve and make the shots consistently, Now running the CB 2 and 3 rails around the table AND not miss the shot. The secret actually lies within BHE final sight. This works well for half table shot and I will use this technique if I want to use a follow shot inside. ---- Set up the shot with about 2 ft distance and a 10 to 15 degree cut. The cut is to the left and we are going to put inside english and follow on it. Aim at 11 oclock on both CB and OB 1 to 1 1/2 tips of english. This shot has to have a good clean stroke put to it. Depending on the angle of cut you just change your OB aimpoint. So for about a 1/2 ball cut to left you aim 11 on CB and Center ball on OB. This is an aiming system for all you naysayers. I am using a Z2 shaft, your shaft may need corrections.

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
It differs depending on;
cue
shaft
ferrule
tip
type of cloth
distance to OB
speed of shot
temperature
humidity
barometric pressure
lighting
time of day
how dirty cloth is
how dirty cue ball is
how dirty object ball is
How much you've drank or hadn't drank
How much you've smoked or haven't smoked yet
Do you have a woman waiting, how big is she
You'll get it figured out

That one has been a B**** for me !

Seriously, Don't expect a straight answer from the older crowd; The PRO's likely stay quiet too.

1- Establish a shot-line to pot the OB This could be center pocket ,or off toward one side or the other. Think about your CB position for the next OB. Using English or speed to get there?
2- around here they call OB deflection,"swerve." That will depend on how much spin and speed to put on the CB.
3- Point of hit on the OB and position for the CB for next shot are determined BEFORE you get down on the shot.
4- NO PIVOT (unless absolutely necessary)Pivot on the CB creates more spin than the English you put on the CB and the swerve induced on the OB. (I can;t figure out my CB position with 3 instances of spin in one shot accurately,.... perhaps others can!)

Maybe if I can calculate the pivot,English and swerve all correctly, all I will have to do then is to get that damn Barometric Pressure down and I go PRO !!
:wink: :grin-square:

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Couldn't stand to read all the pages of this. But the question is pretty simple, and so is the answer:

It depends on your shaft, and your ability to see a path to the object ball.

With conventional shafts, side-spin deflects the cue ball, in the opposite of the english you apply. Right english, the cue ball immediately heads left, then hooks a bit, if you have the whole table length on that shot. It's a matter of getting used to that initial deflection, then judging how much the cue ball will hook back.

With low deflection shafts, Predator, Mezz, etc, the deflection is less, so you aim closer to the natural line to the object ball. They all deflect at least some, but you get the idea.

Also, practice...

All the best,
WW

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
How do I compensate? First, I take a step backwards, then do a foot shuffling followed by a air pivot. Then I feel which testicle is hanging the lowest, then lean in the direction of the lower one. After that, I get out my monacle and stare at it with my left eye for 35 seconds. After that, I go to the kitchen, preheat my oven to 450 degrees, and put in the marinated beef tenderloin, setting the timer for 45 minutes...hot and fast is the key for medium rare.

After that, I return to the pool table and then shoot the damn shot in an instance, just like I should have done to begin with dammit!

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the contact point on the OB and adjust with BHE tip offsets to the outside (english) of the center of the CB to true the angle to compensate for CIT- if I can get shape for the next ball using OE.

There are times where you need to use inside english to get shape on the next ball. I then put the tip to the inside off of the CB center and aim at the contact point on the OB. The distance to the side is different for different shaft deflections, desired english and cut angles.

It's a start.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How do I compensate? First, I take a step backwards, then do a foot shuffling followed by a air pivot. Then I feel which testicle is hanging the lowest, then lean in the direction of the lower one. After that, I get out my monacle and stare at it with my left eye for 35 seconds. After that, I go to the kitchen, preheat my oven to 450 degrees, and put in the marinated beef tenderloin, setting the timer for 45 minutes...hot and fast is the key for medium rare.

After that, I return to the pool table and then shoot the damn shot in an instance, just like I should have done to begin with dammit!

No problem with your method. I would offer a couple suggestions, though. I would lean in the direction of the higher testicle, which I think would get them (the testicles) balanced better. For the beef tenderloin, agree, but I would sear it in a hot pan for just a minute on each side before the oven.

Other than that, the compensation technique seems fine.

All the best,
WW

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what the ronco rotisserie is for. Pivots so you don't have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main_Ron_P.jpg

Set it, and forget it mofo..... :thumbup: