snooker rails to pool rails?

samson123

Registered
is it possible to change snooker rails over to pool rails? i found a gold crown for sale and it has snooker style rails on it, I'm just not sure if there was a difference in they way they were mounted to the table or not. any help would be awesome.
thanks

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they mount to the slate so the rail cushions do not affect that. I have a 10 ft snooker table that I converted to pool a couple of years ago. The rails for snooker have BENDS at the pockets, which are the curved ends used in snooker and they will need to be removed. Then take off the rail cushions which are now too short and replace them full legtn with new cushions. At this point you can recut the rails with the proper angles for pool. I used angles recommended by RKC that are used on Diamond tables on mine. The only real issue I had was that in order to have sufficient meat to cut the angles I had to cut them for like 5 1/2 inch pockets, which seems huge but well it is a 10 footer. I used 3/16 neoprene pads on the face angles to close them a tab bit but they still look big, but when you play on they table, being 10 foot, they don't play like buckets, but rather seem fair. It's a fun table and was worth the effort. I actually have it for sale now in the for sale section because I ran across a deal on a Diamond Professional I couldn't refuse, but yes, it can be done and is worth doing.

Last edited:

samson123

Registered
the table is a 9ft. Im pretty positive that the previous owner put snooker rails on it. so mounting up pool rails should be a straight forward thing for any table mechanic I guess.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree, though it may be a better route to just find a set of pool rails to fit instead of modifying what you have.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the table is a 9ft. Im pretty positive that the previous owner put snooker rails on it. so mounting up pool rails should be a straight forward thing for any table mechanic I guess.

If it's a 9' maybe someone converted it to a Chinese 8 ball table.
You can switch it back, but factor in the cost of the cushions & extra labor.

If the table is a fair price it would be worth it. If they want top dollar, then it would be better to buy one that needs new felt & cushions anyway. Good luck.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only real issue I had was that in order to have sufficient meat to cut the angles I had to cut them for like 5 1/2 inch pockets, which seems huge but well it is a 10 footer. I used 3/16 neoprene pads on the face angles to close them a tab bit but they still look big

I had my 5x10 GC snooker table converted. They used cushions from a Carom table to avoid this. The cushions cost a little more, but it solved the problem.