Ball Cleaning Machine question.....

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At around 1:20 of this video, how does someone get the buffer pad, carpet, or whatever is being used into the shape shown? All the pads I've seen are more flat, but this one causes the balls to rotate in a groove between the inner carpet and carpet on bucket.....Thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtbvoXqi7x8

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Don't know if he just mashed into that shape or bought a different shape pad.

I will say, I built a bucket polisher. I recommend a thick shag carpet for the bottom of bucket, cover it in microfiber, cover the sides of bucket with microfiber.

On the sides, I determined the direction of the spinning pad of the buffer. Started the microfiber in the same direction and then folded the microfiber under itself at the end each time to create a lip to agitate the balls some.

I put in 7 balls, hit w a few sprays of cleaner, put the polisher down on the balls and run for two minutes, repeat. This way I can rock the polisher around or tip the bucket. I can also still use the polisher for my vehicle.

Works great. If I needed more, I'd build a better one.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At around 1:20 of this video, how does someone get the buffer pad, carpet, or whatever is being used into the shape shown? All the pads I've seen are more flat, but this one causes the balls to rotate in a groove between the inner carpet and carpet on bucket.....Thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtbvoXqi7x8

The groove in the carpet on the side of bucket automatically forms from the balls sliding across it over time. I believe that's a wool pad on the buffer, which when new is fluffy and it forms to the balls also. I'm not 100% sure on the wool pad, but that's my best guess.

The weather isn't going to be nice next week. Maybe when I take my breaks from hitting them I'll see if I can come up with a modification on mine to make it better.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. First one is a wool pad. If I remember right, from my body shop days, that Velcro backer pad is made by 3M. And 3M made different pads for different uses. A word of caution. Wool pads will generate tremendous heat at high speed. Use caution. Not sure if it will put a burn Mark in phenolic resin, but use caution.

And the guy isn't telling the whole truth. The Velcro backer pad is 50 bucks on its own. And another 20 to 30 for the wool pad. It is good stuff, but you will have some more dough it it then he said.

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was checking them wool pads out last night and they are expensive. I was thinking of maybe using dowel rods wrapped in carpet between each ball. Just haven't decided what to glue the dowel rods to as a base for the center, which will be wrapped in carpet also.

You can see the grooves starting to form into the carpet, just after a couple cleanings.

Attachments

• 20180217_073318.jpg
    20180217_073318.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 162

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The groove in the carpet on the side of bucket automatically forms from the balls sliding across it over time. I believe that's a wool pad on the buffer, which when new is fluffy and it forms to the balls also. I'm not 100% sure on the wool pad, but that's my best guess.

The weather isn't going to be nice next week. Maybe when I take my breaks from hitting them I'll see if I can come up with a modification on mine to make it better.

Your design is fine, and probably don't need the wool pad, just curious as to how he did it. Thanks!!!

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your design is fine, and probably don't need the wool pad, just curious as to how he did it. Thanks!!!

It was mentioned about the balls colliding against each other and creating marks on the balls somewhere. I made a total of 4 so far for buddies that I shoot with, they really like them. I haven't had any issues with markings on the balls after cleaning. Going the dowel rods route would possibly clean the balls faster, creating more cleaning coverage for each ball. I'll just have to take it out and hide it before the buddies come over, because they'll want one of them too and sucker me into making them one. lol