5/16 x 18 insert failure

hejests

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question for the cuemakers in the forum:

I picked up a flat faced 5/16 x 18 314-3 shaft. I have been using it on a butt that would normally take a piloted shaft. I have had numerous other flat faced shafts on this butt with no issues.

I noticed while screwing the cue together that when tightening down I would get about an extra quarter to half rotation on the threads. I didn't make anything of it until I put the cue away and noticed that insert had pulled out of the shaft about 0.6mm.

It seems stable now where it is. As in I can't screw the cue any tighter and the insert doesn't appear to be pulling out more or moving at all.

My question is:. Can I play with the cue as is without damaging the joint or the shaft? The insert appears set in phenolic.

I have a tournament in the morning and won't have time to see someone locally about fixing it.

Is this an epoxy/glue failure?

I have attached pics below.

Thanks!

7593af03c9b7e908c6d97afce250313d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Quick question for the cuemakers in the forum:

I picked up a flat faced 5/16 x 18 314-3 shaft. I have been using it on a butt that would normally take a piloted shaft. I have had numerous other flat faced shafts on this butt with no issues.

I noticed while screwing the cue together that when tightening down I would get about an extra quarter to half rotation on the threads. I didn't make anything of it until I put the cue away and noticed that insert had pulled out of the shaft about 0.6mm.

It seems stable now where it is. As in I can't screw the cue any tighter and the insert doesn't appear to be pulling out more or moving at all.

My question is:. Can I play with the cue as is without damaging the joint or the shaft? The insert appears set in phenolic.

I have a tournament in the morning and won't have time to see someone locally about fixing it.

Is this an epoxy/glue failure?

I have attached pics below.

Thanks!

7593af03c9b7e908c6d97afce250313d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The insert probably has unscrewed out a few rounds and then stopped.... I would get it repaired..... May not ever hurt a thing, but I would fix it....

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Are you the original owner? Did you buy the shaft new?
Predator shafts come with a warranty.
Continued play of the shaft, knowing that it's in need
of repair COULD constitute abuse, ie, good-bye warranty.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen an insert come out like that when the end of the pin bottoms out in the shaft . The ball end of the pin hits the bottom of the hole, and then the joint insert will get jacked out of the hole. It may not be the issue in your situation. But looking down into the joint insert, is there any evidence of the pin touching the very bottom of the hole where end of the insert is? It can be easily checked by getting a kebab stick and mark where it is at the bottom of the hole, then compare that length to the total amount of the pin protruding from the flat face of the handle.
Neil