Narrowed Tenons

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's called the 'Power-Piston'. A Meucci exclusive.
As to it's benefits, I'll let the reader decide.

KJ
PowerPiston is used in the butt of the PP line. Basically a polymer sleeve over a laminated wood core. Supposed to compress/de-compress lessening deflection. Work? Can't say as i've never hit one. They've been doing that tapered tenon for quit a while. All the black-dot shafts are like that.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
PowerPiston is used in the butt of the PP line. Basically a polymer sleeve over a laminated wood core. Supposed to compress/de-compress lessening deflection. Work? Can't say as i've never hit one. They've been doing that tapered tenon for quit a while. All the black-dot shafts are like that.

Bob's own words: (Most of which are total BS IMO.)

http://www.tooboring.com/ph_Why--a--Meucci--Power--Piston_recreation.php

What Bob is describing, the forearm, "is a thin sleeve of high-impact plastic material over a maple dowel.
A lot of his cues are built that way and aren't labelled 'Power-Piston.
I think you've been led to believe that something moves in this area and I believe that to be incorrect.
Frankly, there should be NO movement of any parts in the butt/handle of the cue.
The only movement he describes is that which occurs btwn the top of the tenon and the underside of the capped ferrule.
He states that distance of movement to be .140". The tenon becomes the piston and closes the gap,
crashing into the bottom of the cap of the ferrule. The ferrule was designed to fail.
Borrowing a term from a fellow builder, Mr Dieckman, it's known as "criminal construction".
I agree.

KJ

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot of good info and discussion! Thanks! Y'all never let me down! I believe Bob has forgotten more than I'll ever know about cue work. I have been getting a fair amount of these lately, figured there had to be a good reason and was just curious. Thanks again!