Ball Cleaning Questions

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uhhh, that’s a cleaner. I’ve used it by hand on the other table I had in Lake Placid. The balls were not as slippery as the cleaner/polish I use in the Ballstar. It would be an interesting comparison to make. I would assume there is some polish in what you are using and most likely your home made cleaner does a better job than my hand cleaning did.

Another thing to try is the Ballstar cleaner/polish in your machine....

I'm not a fan of the Ballstar solution. It leaves the balls very slippery. The Tiger product is the best I've found when using a machine.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is true. And, Arimith claims that the Tournament balls have a special formulation that reduces burn marks. I think this formulation, the fact that the 860 cloth is 90% wool as opposed to synthetics which heat up more and the polish put on the cue ball by the Ballstar machine and polish itself are keeping the burn marks away.

I have standard Simonis 860, Aramith Tournaments, Centennials, and Cyclops all of which were brand new at the same time as the cloth. My cloth is Simonis Green, I started seeing burn marks from breaking almost immediately, 6 years later I have tracks from kitchen to rack and light lines in all the rail grooves. I keep my pool balls in like new condition with my Diamond polisher and Aramith cleaner, I do not need to use the Aramith Restorer on my pool balls.
I am going to recover soon, I am pretty sure I am going to go with Tournament Blue this time but I am definitely going with 860HR next time unless there is a good reason I should not. I think that the darker colors show burn marks much quicker.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of the Ballstar solution. It leaves the balls very slippery. The Tiger product is the best I've found when using a machine.

Is there such a thing as too slippery?

I never really devoted too much thought to the matter but always presumed the less cling, the better.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing some research and would appreciate your input if you have a home table.....

1) How frequently do you clean your balls?
2) What cleaning/polishing products do you use?
3) What cleaning/polishing machine do you use (or by hand)?
4) If using a machine, are you happy with it (why/why not)?
5) If cleaning by hand, would you consider buying a machine (and which one)?
- BallStar
- Diamond
- Bludworth
- Porper
- other

Thanks

1) Not as often as I should. Maybe once per month. The balls seems to stay cleaner when the humidity is down so in the summer I clean them more often.
2) I use Brillianize. It's a plastics cleaner (not specific to pool balls) which someone on AZB recommended years go. It's worked great so I stuck with it.
3) I have a homemade ball cleaner using a car buffer and bucket.
4) It's loud but it works good enough. I don't see the sense in spending $500 on ball cleaner. The balls aren't even worth that much lol.
5) n/a

Also, sometimes I intentionally play with dirty balls. All of the friction aspects of the shot are amplified which make you much more aware of them. I think it helps a lot during practice. It's kind of like the Filapinos that are used to playing in very humid conditions.

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have standard Simonis 860, Aramith Tournaments, Centennials, and Cyclops all of which were brand new at the same time as the cloth. My cloth is Simonis Green, I started seeing burn marks from breaking almost immediately, 6 years later I have tracks from kitchen to rack and light lines in all the rail grooves. I keep my pool balls in like new condition with my Diamond polisher and Aramith cleaner, I do not need to use the Aramith Restorer on my pool balls.
I am going to recover soon, I am pretty sure I am going to go with Tournament Blue this time but I am definitely going with 860HR next time unless there is a good reason I should not. I think that the darker colors show burn marks much quicker.

I got my table done about 9 months ago with Tournament Blue Simonis 860HR and I have horrible burn marks. I don't use a break cloth because I thought HR was supposed to get less marks which is the reason I chose it.

As far as ball polisher, I have a Diamond double platter ball polisher that I use almost daily with my Aramith Tournament balls. lately I've been using a combo cleaner/polisher I got in a car wash kit from Costco (IBIZ). They come out pretty slippery