Making a cue to Snooker or UK Pool spec

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PFD
Paul drexler can make you anything you can describe

It can have the beauty and design of his cues and the taper you require
call him 860 285 8500

you mentioned trying part of his cue to your other cue,but it was not designed to your specs first to last

Paul is known for excellent woods and workmanship
you won't find him cheap,but then again quality is worth paying for when
you consider what you are getting

another choice might be to send him a snooker cue that is exactly what you like and he can duplicate the specs or even inlay yours to give it that look

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
PFD

call him 860 285 8500

you mentioned trying part of his cue to your other cue,but it was not designed to your specs first to last

another choice might be to send him a snooker cue that is exactly what you like and he can duplicate the specs or even inlay yours to give it that look

I bet Jack Potter can too

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see why people don't understand what your after.
No problem at all making a cue like that. Might have to change some dimensions in the construction as the butt is quite a bit thinner than a normal pool cue. Would you like a snooker brass joint or a pool cue type joint pin?

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see why people don't understand what your after.
No problem at all making a cue like that. Might have to change some dimensions in the construction as the butt is quite a bit thinner than a normal pool cue. Would you like a snooker brass joint or a pool cue type joint pin?

I thought so too😂

I'd be looking for a pool cue type joint. Maybe black phenolic with a radial pin. I want it to look exactly like a pool cue.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you seem to have cues? why not buy a snooker shaft for one of them? pretty sure i've seen a few on ebay and the like

I actually did this. I had PFD make me a shaft to fit my existing PFD pool cue. It played ok but not great as after all, it was an unusual taper going from standard joint diameter down to 9mm. Butt was heavy and oversize so wasn't really an ideal solution, but something I'm glad I tried. Now I know I need the butt tailored accordingly.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PFD

call him 860 285 8500

Yeah, Paul is top class and I've had 5 or 6 cues from him over the years. I've emailed him and he said it's possible. Just waiting for him to get back to me with more details.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought so too😂

I'd be looking for a pool cue type joint. Maybe black phenolic with a radial pin. I want it to look exactly like a pool cue.

I haven't done any calculations, but with a 29mm diameter at the buttcap and a straight taper, the joint might get a bit thin for a Radial pin. Maybe Uni-loc or a piloted 5/16-14 would work better?
Have you given any thoughts as to ferrule construction?
I'm guessing brass is out, since you want it to look like a pool cue? A traditional ferrule design is out due to the small diameter. A short ferrule threaded into the shaft, kinda like Mezz Sigma might be a good way to go

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't done any calculations, but with a 29mm diameter at the buttcap and a straight taper, the joint might get a bit thin for a Radial pin. Maybe Uni-loc or a piloted 5/16-14 would work better?
Have you given any thoughts as to ferrule construction?
I'm guessing brass is out, since you want it to look like a pool cue? A traditional ferrule design is out due to the small diameter. A short ferrule threaded into the shaft, kinda like Mezz Sigma might be a good way to go

I've done some calculations and I think at the joint the diameter will be 19.6 to 19.7mm. Not sure how much thinner that is to a standard butt? Do you think a 3/8x11 pin would work?

Ferrule I was going with stainless steel. As you say, traditional ferrule isn't possible and brass just looks too snooker soni felt stainless was a happy middle ground.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a 9.5mm tip, conical taper shaft on a stock Joss pool cue butt. I don't think the balance is very different from a normal pool shaft on that butt (I use an open bridge). I think there's roughly the same amount of wood overall in a conical taper/small tip vs. a "pro" taper/larger tip.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done some calculations and I think at the joint the diameter will be 19.6 to 19.7mm. Not sure how much thinner that is to a standard butt? Do you think a 3/8x11 pin would work?

Ferrule I was going with stainless steel. As you say, traditional ferrule isn't possible and brass just looks too snooker soni felt stainless was a happy middle ground.
I've done titanium ferrules for alot of snooker players. Works really well.
A normal cue is about 21.336mm at the joint collar. The reason I'm thinking that I Uni-Loc or 5/16-14 woul be better is that it's a slightly thinner pin, and with the cue being so skinny, you want as much wall thickness at the joint as possible. Remember that a normal joint collar tennon is .650" ish, wich is 16.51mm. that's gonna be a thin walled joint collar, so maybe the tennon needs to be reduced to .500" 12.7mm in order to have about the right thickness for the joint collar. A 3/8-10 Flat bottom pin is .308" a Radial pin is .312" and the barrel is around .380" so that leaves you .120" wall thickness. Not much...

Steve748

Registered
You should speak to Mike Wooldridge he will make exactly what you want.
He made me a pool cue for US 8 & 9 ball but it still looks like a snooker cue.
Handmadecues.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Steve748

Registered
Www.Handmadecues.com
d647cf89008dbfd006635605aba87ec8.jpg

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I hope the OP finds what he wants. There are center jointed snooker and UK pool cues, so that definetely is doable. As the OP no doubt knows, the pin is usually in the shaft, but that is just a matter of convention and not a necessary thing, though maybe it allows for slightly more wood around the pin. Just saying that this is not really the greatest obstacle.

The obstacle would be to find an American cuemaker willing to custom invent tapers, reset all his machines etc. for just one cue. I imagine that would be both tricky and expensive.

Better perhaps is to take an existing UK pool blank and have it decorated in an American fashion, with inlays, grip and buttcap etc? Putting some rings on, mabye joint collars, a buttcap and a grip shouldn't be too difficult or expensive? Granted it won't be quite the same but at least you'll have a cue that plays well. Another option is to have a US pool turned down, specifically the shaft section. I like my UK pool cues light, but I don't know if the OP does. If you like a 18oz-19oz weight, it should be doable. I think maybe a weight may have to be added to the shaft above the pin, to fix the balance. And the retapering would have to be done over time. I'd not put a steel ferrule on any cue, other than maybe a masse cue. It will make the cue play horrible, IMO.

I've played mostly with a snooker cue on the UK tables, only recently did I get a proper UK pool cue. It made a huge impact, as I'm finally controlling the ball the way I want. 8.5mm properly balanced vs 10mm makes a difference in this game. Personally, I wouldn't jeopardize that for looks by mangling some cue or making a Frankensteins monster creation. 3/4 joint or one piece is the way to go with these cues IMO.

Last edited:

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should speak to Mike Wooldridge he will make exactly what you want.
He made me a pool cue for US 8 & 9 ball but it still looks like a snooker cue.
Handmadecues.com

Thanks Steve but you've got it the wrong way round. I don't want it to look like a snooker cue.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the OP finds what he wants. There are center jointed snooker and UK pool cues, so that definetely is doable. As the OP no doubt knows, the pin is usually in the shaft, but that is just a matter of convention and not a necessary thing, though maybe it allows for slightly more wood around the pin. Just saying that this is not really the greatest obstacle.

The obstacle would be to find an American cuemaker willing to custom invent tapers, reset all his machines etc. for just one cue. I imagine that would be both tricky and expensive.

Better perhaps is to take an existing UK pool blank and have it decorated in an American fashion, with inlays, grip and buttcap etc? Putting some rings on, mabye joint collars, a buttcap and a grip shouldn't be too difficult or expensive? Granted it won't be quite the same but at least you'll have a cue that plays well. Another option is to have a US pool turned down, specifically the shaft section. I like my UK pool cues light, but I don't know if the OP does. If you like a 18oz-19oz weight, it should be doable. I think maybe a weight may have to be added to the shaft above the pin, to fix the balance. And the retapering would have to be done over time. I'd not put a steel ferrule on any cue, other than maybe a masse cue. It will make the cue play horrible, IMO.

I've played mostly with a snooker cue on the UK tables, only recently did I get a proper UK pool cue. It made a huge impact, as I'm finally controlling the ball the way I want. 8.5mm properly balanced vs 10mm makes a difference in this game. Personally, I wouldn't jeopardize that for looks by mangling some cue or making a Frankensteins monster creation. 3/4 joint or one piece is the way to go with these cues IMO.

Great comments, thanks for the input. Yes you're correct that in snooker/UK cues the pin tends to be on the shaft, but not as a rule as such.

I prefer 17 to 18oz weight. I currently play with a one piece 17oz Dave Coutts cue. It's stunning and plays like a dream. I'm somewhat of a collector so this cue is to represent my love of US pool and hopefully play well too.

I did get a shaft for my PFD pool cue made but it didn't really work. Hence wanting the butt designed for the right specs.

Joint pin will be something to look at for sure but I think it can be made and should play well. Let's hope.