Places to stay for Derby City

IU Ames Mister

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering... do you all have suggestions on where to stay while at the DCC? Me and a 2 of my buddies are looking to stay at a decent place, not too nice, not too ghetto (we're on a college budget). A place close to the venue would be nice also. Thanks.

mr8ball

IU Ames Mister said:
I was wondering... do you all have suggestions on where to stay while at the DCC? Me and a 2 of my buddies are looking to stay at a decent place, not too nice, not too ghetto (we're on a college budget). A place close to the venue would be nice also. Thanks.

The best place to stay is where the are haveing the tournament. That way you get to see more action. I am not sure of the name of the place but it is nice. Good luck maybe i will see you there.

T

Timberly

mr8ball said:
The best place to stay is where the are haveing the tournament. That way you get to see more action. I am not sure of the name of the place but it is nice. Good luck maybe i will see you there.
Did I read somewhere that they show matches on the tv's in your room at the host hotel?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IU Ames Mister said:
Why not stay at the Executive West? If three share the room it won't be all that much -- about $80 total?

On the other hand, I see that Motel 6, not far away but not walking distance either, is quoting $32/night for three in January.

Try going to Google Maps at http://maps.google.com/ and zoom in on Louisville, to where you can see the airport, and then search for "motel". The Executive West (tournament site) is on the north side of the International Airport at Phillips Ln and James Rd.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Did I read somewhere that they show matches on the tv's in your room at the host hotel?
Yes, they do. Sometime the best seat in the house is your bed. When they weren't showing the TV table live, they had some past matches.

T

Timberly

Bob Jewett said:
Yes, they do. Sometime the best seat in the house is your bed. When they weren't showing the TV table live, they had some past matches.
It REALLY is a pool mecca!!!! LOL, I've never been and while I can't be there the whole time, I am going to try to take a weeks vacation and go down for the last half of it.

Bed's are way more comfy than bench seat bleachers! ;)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im trying to find hotel i stayed at last year, If you come out of the Executive parking lot and make a left, this hotel is no more than 500 yds down on the right- It's a 'Suites' place. Anyone got the name? Nothing looks familiar that i find online. Thanks

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Motel 6 is OK

IU Ames Mister said:

Last year I couldn't get into the Executive West for 2 days so I went one exit east and stayed at the Motel 6. It is a high rise and pretty OK.
The Executive West is THE NUTS though. I have a pool side room this year for the entire tourney. They are the darkest also.
Last year, I woke up at 3:30 pm and the room TV had Efren playing Cliff for $1,000 a game. Efren was giving Cliff 8 to 7.
THAT WAS THE BEST HOTEL TV I HAVE EVER ENJOYED.

TY & GL

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I can't imagine not staying at the Executive West. If you get tired, which I'm sure will not happen, you don't have to walk 2 blocks in 22 degree weather to find your car just to go rest. You can walk up to your room and put your cues down for a while if you get tired of lugging them around. And last but not least, IF you get too buzzed too drive you don't have to.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ktown D said:
I can't imagine not staying at the Executive West. If you get tired, which I'm sure will not happen, you don't have to walk 2 blocks in 22 degree weather to find your car just to go rest. You can walk up to your room and put your cues down for a while if you get tired of lugging them around. And last but not least, IF you get too buzzed too drive you don't have to.

I thought the same til i tried it one year and found it impossible to sleep due to the yelling in the halls at all hours. I checked out after 1-2 days. Im a very light sleeper- it just didnt work for me there. I never play though- just spectate.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I have found that after about 24 to 36 hrs of playing, sweating matches and trading bills I can sleep through about anything.

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
I have already reserved a room at the Executive West.
Can't imagine staying any place else.

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember last February after the DCC the subject of a AZB Suite with a pool table was brought up for the 2006 DCC. If I remember correctly a name was mentioned that could help out on this. Anyone remember the name? Is there still any interest in renting a pool table suite? I, for one, would definitely ante up some cash towards a suite.

Lunchmoney

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Get A Sound Machine!

Nostroke said:
I thought the same til i tried it one year and found it impossible to sleep due to the yelling in the halls at all hours. I checked out after 1-2 days. Im a very light sleeper- it just didnt work for me there. I never play though- just spectate.

I have been using a "White Noise" sound machine for over 25 years. They are great. They now have them at Target for under $15. The white noise is much like a constant Air-Conditioning sound and with the volume turned up, you will sleep (reem3) for very long periods. We have raised our kids on them and now they take them wherever they go.
Last year the construction noise was terrible at the DCC and many complained. No more this year, all done.
I HAD NO TROUBLE GETTING 8.5 TO 9.5 UNINTERUPTED REST.

TY & GL

roymjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
I have already reserved a room at the Executive West.
Can't imagine staying any place else.
Smart man......we waited till the day it started to get a room and liked to have never gotten 1. I won't wait this time.
They only problem i had was the construction going on during the tourney. They were doing alot of remodeling. Hell, its just a 10 day tourney who needs a room to sleep anyway ;)

roymjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
Guess I should go ahead and get a room and tell the boss I need time off! This will be my first DCC :) Can't wait!
You won't be disappointed, i promise. The back room action is great. Lots of mini-tourney's too.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dcc classic

We stayed in the excitive wesrt, where all the action is had a good room and good food,eat, sleep and watch good pool how close to heaven was I !!!!! no joke you cant go wrong staying in the hotel!!!! :STICK" p. s I left out the HOeS :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
I have been using a "White Noise" sound machine for over 25 years. They are great. They now have them at Target for under $15. The white noise is much like a constant Air-Conditioning sound and with the volume turned up, you will sleep (reem3) for very long periods. We have raised our kids on them and now they take them wherever they go.
Last year the construction noise was terrible at the DCC and many complained. No more this year, all done.
I HAD NO TROUBLE GETTING 8.5 TO 9.5 UNINTERUPTED REST.

TY & GL

I have 3 of those sound machines, one straight up, and 2 as part of a radio and CD player. I usually have one on 'rain' and the other on a brook. Unfortunately they are not enough to drown out the DCC scene at least the one year i tried it. Im not taking any chances plus it will force me to get out of that place now and then so if anyone knows the name of that suite hotel 500 yds down the block, please post it.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Nostroke said:

Nostroke,
I would give you some sympathy, but YOU'RE NOT STAYING UP LONG ENOUGH!!! There is tremendous action going on from midnight to 5 A.M. Try staying up til 5, sleeping til 10 A.M.(that's my DCC schedule). You may find you'll sleep just fine.

P.S. - If you call the Executive West they will give you the names & numbers of the other local hotels.