Muttering to yourself out loud, in a whisper

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
As I've mentioned before, I'm working on the mental aspect of my game cause it is the weakest part of it.

So recently during practice, I noticed myself sorta talking to myself out loud, but in a whisper, about what shot to make, where the CB going, what balls the CB or OB will hit and so on. I noticed it really helped and my run outs got to be more. I refrain from it if I am playing someone.

I recently played in the finals of a local 14.1 handicapp league. The first guy I played is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than me. Well, this guy was doing the muttering to himself as he shot, like I do during practice, so I figured I'd do it to,like when I practiced. I won against him by a large margin. And the same result occurred in the second match.

I asked him about why he does it and he replied it just helps him to think things through when at the table. Same for me, plus for some reason I play more relaxed when doing it.

Anyone else do this and does it brother you if someone you are playing does it?

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm talking to myself during a match, it's usually some type of expletive as a result of screwing up the last shot. I wouldn't have a problem with my opponent talking to themselves though -- hey it's their turn at the table -- they can shoot however they want.

Last edited:

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Keeps me constant

I also find when I talk to myself it helps me execute. I do not know why but it keeps me from changing my mind when I am down on my shots which is a problem that I have, changing my mind on maybe my third practice stroke and screwing everything up. Talking to myself may look strange but it gets me the cash most of the time over not saying anything at all.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've found that I do talk to myself sometimes, and I also gesticulate a bit, waving my finger in the general path of where I want the shot to go and the cue's follow path, as I look to where I want to go next. Repeating for the next few shots that I plan on making assuming the shots go down as planned.

Seems to help a little. Keeps me busy, in any event.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Many instructors encourage our students to talk out loud to themselves during practice (Code name: Mumble...mumble...mumble) to help ingrain the habits better. Using as many different senses as possible makes learning easier, and makes for a more lasting impression.

And while it shouldn't be necessary in a match, I don't see a problem with it.

Steve

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
I found muttering to myself quietly didnt work...

I found that actually talking to the balls and telling them what I wanted them to do works much better...

I also found that they don't hear so well when I whisper...

Speaking rather loudly and directly is my prefered method....

LIke this....

You little son of a ***** ball! Why you don't you just go HOME?

That's your HOME! Are you too good for your HOME?

ANSWER ME! SUCK MY WHITE A**, BALL! !!

Last edited:

fastford

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only things I mutter to myself why shooting is explict question on why I did what I did!!

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I found muttering to myself quietly didnt work...

I found that actually talking to the balls and telling them what I wanted them to do works much better...

I also found that they don't hear so well when I whisper...

Speaking rather loudly and directly is my prefered method....

LIke this....

You little son of a ***** ball! Why you don't you just go HOME?

That's your HOME! Are you too good for your HOME?

ANSWER ME! SUCK MY WHITE A**, BALL! !!

Thats a great scene.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think pool is a low key sport that requires a great deal of self control and concentration. With that said, it is important to keep good dialogue with yourself and stay on track. The best thing about pool is the fact that you are in total control of what happens at the table. If something bad happens you can always get yourself back in control with positive thoughts and those thoughts turn into positive actions.

I know some players that are quiet such as Nick Varner and others who are vocal such as Earl Strickland. There are different types of people who use different methods and I think the upbringing and culture they are surrounded with has a great deal to do with how you play and act. If mumbling helps you, I say do it, but I personally am not the type of person who talks to myself out loud.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going over the run out verbally gets the left brain on the same page as the right brain. Great weapon.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
I do it all the time' I've paid myself some extremely high compliments and I've also kicked myself square, in the groin, on several occasions. It goes with the territory. Noboby is perfect.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

I always talk to myself in the third person and do the same. "Nice fugging shot!", "You stupid SOB" and such. This tactic of talking to yourself is very calming to me when I play. IMO

Elephant Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a muttering schitzoid as well. Not in front others though. Usually just telling myself which 3 balls are next and how to play for shape. Sometimes the conversations with myself get long. Then I usually don't get the leave and have to start from scratch. I think it is helping me be more aware in my game and hope that the mumbling becomes subdued as I progress. But at the moment it is only getting worse.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You play like you practice..........

as i've mentioned before, i'm working on the mental aspect of my game cause it is the weakest part of it.

So recently during practice, i noticed myself sorta talking to myself out loud, but in a whisper, about what shot to make, where the cb going, what balls the cb or ob will hit and so on. I noticed it really helped and my run outs got to be more. I refrain from it if i am playing someone.

I recently played in the finals of a local 14.1 handicapp league. The first guy i played is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than me. Well, this guy was doing the muttering to himself as he shot, like i do during practice, so i figured i'd do it to,like when i practiced. I won against him by a large margin. And the same result occurred in the second match.

I asked him about why he does it and he replied it just helps him to think things through when at the table. Same for me, plus for some reason i play more relaxed when doing it.

Anyone else do this and does it brother you if someone you are playing does it?

hi there,

practice like your going to play. If you bite your tongue while you practice you better do it when your competeing.

That's why it is so important to practice correctly because you just can't slam the balls around when you practice and expect to focus when you play,play.

Good job...............

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
self talk

Positive self talk seams to be good for my game.If I find that I am not listening to me then talking to myself outloud is best.

There is a top player in this area who mutters to himself quite forcefully when playing.It looks rather odd but i think its just a good way to concentrate.

I find that singing or whistling also help me to relax.