Age restrictions for league. APA, BCA, Etc

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played 2 sessions of APA both 8ball and 9ball this past year. However the next sessions I won't due to my work. Because of Christmas (Or Season Greetings) I'll be installing 5-6 tables a day. So having to show up to league is not an option. I'll be trying to play in tournaments mainly.

However after Christmas some friends wanted to know about league. They have been to a few of my games at Cues2 for the APA and wanted to join. But they are under 21 and will be under 21 through the next few sessions.

Now APA I believe you have to be 21. But I am unsure of BCA, TAP, and others.

So my question is what leagues can people under 21 but 18+ can play in? Does BCA have restictions? And if you're in the Atlanta (Preferably eastside) what halls have these leagues?

Dhakala

Banned
The practical minimum age is 21 because the vast majority of league teams play in bars, and most bar owners exclude those under 21 after a certain hour of the evening. I believe all of the leagues have junior divisions for younger players, but the venues are few and far between.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Dont know about Georgia...

In St. Louis there is a very large number of small townships and cities that make up the St. Louis metro area. All of them have different liquor requirments in addition to the state laws. Most of them cannot have anyone under 21 unless they are a restaurant too or a certain % of their revenue comes from sources other than alcohol. We dont have an alcohol license, which means under 21 can play there all the time...it also means we are not part of any local league. We only have an in-house league. If you have someone under 21 in some bars you can have a license suspension on your first offence, not to mention a nice little fine. :(

Hope you and your friends find a place. If not try working out something with a local pool hall that doesnt have alchol. Have small little tournys once a week on a night they arent busy. Maybe others will join. Good luck Smittie.

jjinfla

Banned
The APA rule book for 2005/2006 stated that all players must be 21, however, they did not follow that rule here in Central Florida. If the bar or pool hall allowed under 21 in then they were allowed to play on the team. But I don't think they were allowed to play in any money playoffs.

One bar here did not allow anyone under 21 in so they couldn't play there.

In today's paper the owner of Bankshot Billiards in Ocala wrote an open letter concerning his problems with the City Council members. Besides 16 tables he also has dancing on Friday and Saturday nights and the Council members are giving him a hard time trying to prevent him from allowing 18-21 in. So now he stated that he will not allow anyone in under 21. I wonder if that will apply just to dance night or the pool hall in general.

It is a shame because the owner and his wife really run a tight ship and make sure that the bartenders card everyone and make sure that no alcohol is given to a minor.

Today's paper also has an article about Rocket's Billiards in Jacksonville and said they were being investigated for serving alcohol to minors who were involved in a fatal auto accident.

Jake

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I've heard scuttlebutt that the APA is considering dropping the age limit to 18. But that still doesn't get around any state/local restrictions on places serving al-kee-haul.

I don't think TAP requires that players be 21. The one time I did play in a TAP league last year, it was kinda being run by a guy I know, and he had his kid - couldn'tve been older than about ten - playing on his team. Kid shot pretty damn good for someone who was so short he didn't have to bend over the table *at all*. :p Now, again, that was the son of the guy kinda running the league, so he may have made an exception for... well... himself. I dunno.

davidhop

Grade A choke master
Silver Member
I was told by my APA league operator that starting with this session, we could have players under 21 years old as long as they were 18+. The APA management in Las Vegas also said that this is a new rule when asked about it.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there is a pool hall here in Atlanta called "The Pool Room". They have BCA league. And because the pool hall (Duluth Locatoin) is non-smoking, there isn't an age restriction despite that they do serve alcohol. Mr. Cues 2 in Atlanta does have smoking and can only allow people 18+ to enter. But they have APA and currently you have to be 21 to play on league. But you can be 18 to enter the pool hall.

So the main league I was curious about was the BCA because of it's location near me. I looked at BCA's website and I don't believe I saw anything with age restrictions. But their website was somewhat confusing.

I do appreciate the help. It would be nice if the APA did drop the age restrictions to 18+. Sure certain teams would be screwed by not being able to compete at certain bars and events. But atleast they get to have some fun compared to having no fun.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Send a PM to "thebestpoolroom" on here, that's John from The Pool Room. He can answer your questions probably.

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
I heard about that restriction when I first thought about signing up for the APA a couple of years ago. I was 18 at that point and gave up on it without going back and thinking about it. Apparently 18+ players can play APA in Miami since no poolhalls around here have any age restrictions.

Being born and raised in Miami, it weirds me out when I hear about poolhalls across the country that are 21+ just because they serve alcohol. I've been a semi-regular/everyday player at a couple of my favorite poolhalls since I was 15-16 years old and I couldn't imagine not being able to play.

Dhakala

Banned
Koopa said:
Being born and raised in Miami, it weirds me out when I hear about poolhalls across the country that are 21+ just because they serve alcohol.

Many wet rooms in Denver will allow minors until the early evening, like 6 or even 10 pm, if they're accompanied by an adult. The cut-off time is a business decision here, not a law. When a place gets busy, the owner would rather be serving high-priced drinks and pizzas than sodas and nachos, and he doesn't want to worry about kids sneaking sips of beer while the adults are shooting pool.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the 2006-2007 season in the APA the age has been lowered to 18.

Teams still have to abide by state and local laws as to whether the player is allowed in the locations.

I think this could be huge for the APA in college towns. If I were a league operator I would try to start college leagues especially a fraternity and sorority oriented leagues.