Another newbie looking for table help

berryblondeboys

Registered
My husband has dreamed of having a pool table for like forever. We are refinishing our basement and I would love to be able to move on getting a used one which I think is the most sensible thing to do, but the options are overwhelming.

I've been stalking this site for a few days, but there are still questions I have. I also asked two local pool movers/sellers (selling used and moving used) and I haven't heard back yet.

First question is, size of table. My room size is 25'x26'. The layout of the room though is awkward for a pool table - it can't go in the middle. It would have to go to the side. Directly down the middle of the room are two posts and low venting. AND, pool is not the only thing we want to do in that room - we also want to play ping-pong (will probably get a set to go over the pool table), so ideally, the table would not be under the low section of the room. Each "section" of the room is about 11.5 feet, with the middle low section being about 2 feet wide. There are also two poles down there, they are exactly halfway across the room at 12.5/13 feet. I'm thinking we should go with a 7' table, but could we get an 8?

I think these show the room (before tearing it apart to remodel and during):

basement_zpslklha6nz.jpg

IMG_4822_zpslp3nw1x0.jpg

IMG_4825_zpseqziddlm.jpg

THEN... getting them down the stairs. Here are photos of the stairs. Ceiling height is an issue. They are 7' with the grids in place, But there is that passthrough.

IMG_4823_zpsmjydidby.jpg

IMG_4824_zpse4uqbqck.jpg

I KNOW a pool table will fit as the previous owner had one but got rid of it before selling (WHY???).

I don't want to buy new, but I do want to buy smart. And that is difficult as a novice. How do I go about knowing if something is in good condition? Hire someone to scout one for me (one of these used pool table dudes?)

Hope you can help!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
for used and 7ft and ability to sell it later you really can only go with a diamond
as they are highly popular and sought after in any size
or even cheaper but still have a following are valley bar boxes

berryblondeboys

Registered
for used and 7ft and ability to sell it later you really can only go with a diamond
as they are highly popular and sought after in any size
or even cheaper but still have a following are valley bar boxes

Do you think something with a full slate can make it down the stairs?

And even if I went with Diamond and/or valley, are there ways a novice can know if things are in good condition? Or should I only buy used through a used selling store?

scottshot230

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The amount your looking to spend plays a large part in decision. Someone on this forum might have one available in your area if you check.

scottshot230

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try posting in the wanted section and see what pops up. Make sure to mention the area you live in. There are a lot of used tables available nowadays. Quite a few members here have tables for sale.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The basement I had was similar. I bought a used 9' gold crown 4 and matching light. Installed around $3000. I had two poles in the way for some shots but it was a practice table for me. I didn't want to spend big bucks to remove the poles. Diamond Blue label would be the best. It's hard to a used one

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Do you think something with a full slate can make it down the stairs?

And even if I went with Diamond and/or valley, are there ways a novice can know if things are in good condition? Or should I only buy used through a used selling store?

the only things you or I (non table mechanics) would be able to tell if the outside was beat up, or cloth ripped,other than that I wouldn't know how to tell the condition of it, its all relative to the skill of the mechanic and how good they are at setting up the table

good table, good mechanic and vice versa
I would visit a pool hall and ask the owner about who they have set up and maintain thier tables

berryblondeboys

Registered
Thanks everyone. I did hear back from a local pool mover/restorer/seller in the area. He said to call to ask questions I have.

I think I'm also going to tape off the floor downstairs to see what size table would work. ANY size will work depending on positioning of the room, but how stupid would it look in certain positions is the key factor! As for "stuff" we will have down there - it will be a rec room - exercising mostly and fun stuff - ping pong, pool, TRX, step aerobics, and some Wii games, so even the couch we have down there will be moved out (and we will just have some moveable chairs and a pub high table and a couple of stools).

berryblondeboys

Registered
Hmmm... the mover/seller/refurbisher has a Brunswick GC IV for a decent price with everything included. "IF" I can make room for it, I think that should be the route I go. Here's the description and photo:

brunswick%20GC_zpsc27nvpsy.png

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Hmmm... the mover/seller/refurbisher has a Brunswick GC IV for a decent price with everything included. "IF" I can make room for it, I think that should be the route I go. Here's the description and photo:

brunswick%20GC_zpsc27nvpsy.png

great deal if you got the room, I payed 2k for my gc 500 for simonis
balls were a extra for me though,300 for super aramith set

berryblondeboys

Registered
Measured a Gold Crown out on the floor

And it seems we have plenty of room and "one" pole. The outer blue line is the perimeter of the nonplaying surface of the pool table. The inner line (outer most) is the playing surface of the pool table.

So, there is 60" space all around from the playing surface, except where the 3" wide pole is and that is 41" from the playing surface of the pool table. HONESTLY, it's one pole. It's 3" of interference. I think we can "deal" with it. And I can move it even further out from the walls, I just wanted to do the minimums to see how it would look in the room in it's unfinished state. I think we can do a 9' table for sure.

Now it's to determine if we need a dedicated pool light. We have LOTS of flourescent lights in there (some are burnt out, so that's why it's dim). Not sure I'm up for redoing lighting as that also means (possibly) redoing the grid for the drop ceiling.

11193226_10153398434937579_1576227633610154644_n_zpsg1rkotea.jpg

11403458_10153398434892579_6089213982546090406_n_zpsqq26n65m.jpg

IMG_4829_zpsbewteejm.jpg

IMG_4828_zpscrgkorav.jpg

danny

Registered
did you guys ever get the table? looking to get one as well and would like to know the process of finding one and having it delivered and set up properly.

Last edited:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always told to get the largest table I could fit in my given space. It is common for those poles in basements to be about every 12 feet. I would not use the basic Brunswick space charts as I believe they are too small in reality. They do not account for stroke length. Also keep in mind that should you be planning on having anything higher that the playing surface around the table such as seating or a bar or even shelves stands or plants they need to be clear at all times from the playing area. I think most people tend to forget about those things. Do not get sticker shock when your looking at quality tables. Remember that pool tables will last a very long time with very little cost to maintain them. They can be passed down from generation to generation. You can literally get tens of thousands of hours of use out of a good table over the years. It all depends on the people that play on it.

It seems to me that you may need to be sure that whatever table you get it has a 3 pc slate as it does not seem likely you will be able to get a one piece down those stairs even if you went with the 7 footer. You may or may not be aware that even the Diamond Pro-Am tables offer that as an option on all their tables for just that reason. Also on a side note there are many places that will not work on one piece slate tables and will tell you it is due to the weight and insurance regulations. I have one in my area that told me that when I was shopping for a used table myself. I ended up buying new because the table I wanted was not available used near me for a reasonable price at the time.

I would also recommend asking on here about the reputation of your local mechanics that you would have set the table up. I would also ask your local pool hall who they use as a table mechanic as well. The local pool hall may also be able to point you to a used table as well. The mechanic that sets the table up can be the difference between a fantastic experience and a horrible one. A good mechanic / table mover is someone you always want to know of as a table owner.

There are many threads on here that discuss the pros and cons of the different tables available. When I decided a few months ago for me it was a choice of Diamond Pro-Am or Brunswick Gold Crown. I have only seen the GC in 9 foot length which in my case pushed me to the Diamond. The place I have for my table is only 14 x 18. The second choice I had to make that I found to be very important was pocket size. When you buy a table used most times you will want to get it recovered. That is an additional expense you will want to budget for and ideally it would also be the time to consider the condition of the cushions and your desired pocket size. There is a huge difference between shooting on a Brunswick table with 5" pockets and a Diamond with Pro-cut 4.5" corner pockets and 5" side pockets. Also, the shape of the rails on a Diamond are different than that of a Brunswick. You may want to also consider going out with your husband to a couple pool halls and playing on tables of the type and size that your considering purchasing. That way you can actually feel and see the differences.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member