Running Balls -- Any Trends Out There?

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or do others out there have this experience: I often run more balls during my first attempt of a practice session than during all or most of my remaining attempts. I think my focus is clearer and better that first time around. But it is frustrating, because I feel that the trend during the session should be one of improvement!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or do others out there have this experience: I often run more balls during my first attempt of a practice session than during all or most of my remaining attempts. I think my focus is clearer and better that first time around. But it is frustrating, because I feel that the trend during the session should be one of improvement!

That used to happen to me all the time! Maybe it has something to do with being more careful on every shot because you know you aren't "warmed up" yet. Then as you play more and continue to pocket balls you get a little lazy... but I don't really know for sure. I'd say even now I'm probably equally likely to have a high run for the night on the first try as on the last!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concentration wears down as your brain gets tired by the repeated task it has to accomplish.
Also you go into automatic stroke mode and are not that observant anymore.

Both can be remedied by purchasing my new book "PIITTHAUALS - training for the pool mind".

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I watched Jason shaws 200 plus dcc run last night
and remembering reading about mosconi I see a similarity in Jason

speed, quick not overthinking
just see the shot, know where you want to go and do it

Jason has an incredible break shot

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
It's pretty common that my first practice run is around 50-60 and then for the rest of the session I have difficulties reaching 40 and get more runs around 10.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Happens… My high run of the year was on a day where I put up a break shot, made the run, packed up my stuff and left again. Having said that, another three-digit run this year was the result of playing inattentively for hours until I got fuming mad at myself, in one of those moods where I swore I'd not eat, drink, sleep, nor even go to the bathroom (you get the gist…) until I'd run at least […] (= insert number, I don't even remember what I was asking of myself that night). I'd prefer the former, to be honest, from the perspective that I don't really have the time for the latter (nor the nerve…). :eek:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not noticed if my better runs come at the first try or not?, but I have noticed that after I miss a shot or two or several, I start getting a little upset and frustrated, and then my level of play, confidence and concentration goes down noticeably.

so for me, its about confidence. When I first get to the table I still have that "I wont miss today" attitude. But as soon as I start missing, the confidence fades, and my concentration fades as well.......

(probably should work on that) :p

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I have not noticed if my better runs come at the first try or not?, but I have noticed that after I miss a shot or two or several, I start getting a little upset and frustrated, and then my level of play, confidence and concentration goes down noticeably.

so for me, its about confidence. When I first get to the table I still have that "I wont miss today" attitude. But as soon as I start missing, the confidence fades, and my concentration fades as well.......

(probably should work on that) :p

Excellent observation, something I hear often, a problem I have sympathy for because even top players suffer from it (Darren Appleton, for example, says that if he can't put a run together within the first three tries, it's usually not worth continuing - better to do something else). Billiards isn't meant to knock down our confidence level. I always tell students that the fact that one misses once doesn't prove one will ever miss again - on the contrary, if it were possible to not ever miss, it's inconceivable one would do it the first time one took a cue in one's hand. A practice plan might help (don't just say to yourself you need to change, akin to New Year's resolutions…). Good luck!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Me, too. Usually, the first try is better. I get pissed off when I screw up (which happens quite frequently) and this affects my ability going forward.