I finally got a table!!!

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week I bought a table from a buddy of mine.

The table is a Brunswick Gold Crown 3. It's in decent shape but I have big plans for it. I'll go into detail later. Right now I'm too tired. I did 4 tough jobs today plus my table. And our Box Truck basically blew up Friday. (For you deisel people the motor ran away).

Anyways I have pictures of the table posted on a blog on Myspace. If the link does not work just go to my profile in my Signature and go to the blog on the top right. Even if you aren't a member I think it will let you view the blog.

My Myspace Blog

By the way if you think you know what pool hall this came out of let me know. It is table number 8. And I know for sure it came out of a pool hall because how screwed the backing is.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
allrightttt!!!!!! man im happy to hear that, i guess i like to live through other peop lol,congrats dude wen i got mine we played on it till 2 am ,have fun man..

OriontheHunter

Dreamin' of Pool Cues
Silver Member
Congratulations, the lights look great and at $40 there a steal. I am getting ready to finish our basement and my first purchase will be a GCIV.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Now I'm rested up.

My big plans.
I always grew up around cars. I love working on cars (As long as I'm not just doing it so it will run). My favorite thing to do is take a classic and put new blood into it. Or taking an old 69 Camaro and putting a 2003 corvette motor into it.

Well I can't just leave a table stock.

At our shop we have a Gold Crown 3 black. It's a beautiful table but we can't seem to get it to play right. We've replaced the cushions on it and it still won't play right.

Well an idea was brought up to turn it into a Gold Crown 4. Or replace the rails and pockets with GC4 rails. Which I'm thinking about doing myself.

My initial plan (Months down the road) is to replace the rails and castings with Gold Crown 4/5 Black rails and Chrome castings. I'm going to strip down the legs, leg connector, and blinds and paint it a high gloss black. I have a friend in woodworking and furniture restoration who can do that.

I think I can even add in the self levelers for the slate. Not that there really is a point but it'd be fun to do.

I also need to replace the backing on the slate. It use to belong to a pool hall and the backing is shot out.

When I'm done I'll call it a Brunswick Gold Crown 3.5

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smittie!.....way to go man!...I'm like you in the tinkering department, there isn't one thing in the world that can't be more powerful, go faster, or look prettier!IMO

Have fun with the new toy!

Gerry

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Smittie!

Some lessons I've learned from having a home table:

1. Make damn sure that you and the Mrs. agree to a time when the boys need to go home BEFORE the party starts. lol

2. Make sure you specify all get togethers are BYOB.

3. Make sure you have an extra piece of cloth for practicing jump and masse shots.

4. If I've never seen you play, you don't jump or masse on my table.

5. Because of the noise of breaking, 1 pocket is the only game allowed to be played after she goes to bed, unless gambling.

6. ALL children are supervised at all times.

I could go on and on.:p

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Looks good, Smittie. You're pretty much doing exactly what I want to do, except your garage is far tidier than ours! I kid you not! If & when we do get a table out there I'll probably end up living in the garage.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
Congrats Smittie!

Some lessons I've learned from having a home table:

1. Make damn sure that you and the Mrs. agree to a time when the boys need to go home BEFORE the party starts. lol

2. Make sure you specify all get togethers are BYOB.

3. Make sure you have an extra piece of cloth for practicing jump and masse shots.

4. If I've never seen you play, you don't jump or masse on my table.

5. Because of the noise of breaking, 1 pocket is the only game allowed to be played after she goes to bed, unless gambling.

6. ALL children are supervised at all times.

I could go on and on.:p

Actually this is my Parents Garage. I don't have any rent and they don't care what I do. So I said screw it. I'm staying. I'd never have room for a 9' table if I had an apartment.

What is sad is I break all of the rules when it comes to pool tables. Today I was putting some shelving in for a radio and I had a water bottle on the cloth. I added a ceiling mounted heater and stood on the table after I planned it. It wasn't felted yet.

However as a table mechanic I can fix something if it goes wrong free of charge.

I did break a peice of my slate which made me madder than hell. I had a crazy day where I worked on 4 tables. I got home and preleveled the slate. I got the rest of the slate screwed down then ate. When I came back I completely forgot it had pins connecting the slate. So I started planing and see some of the slate coming up. Figures I'd do it on my own table. Because with slate with pins in it you have to edge each slate up a little at a time. I fixed it with wax. But later on I'm going to use Bondo to fix it. I may even order new slate. The backing is shot so I might as well get everything new.

For now I have been enjoying it every night. But I was so mad at myself because I remember thinking before I ate to remember it had pins in it.

Thanks for the comments
Mark

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congratulations! I know how you feel as I have wanted my own table for 10 some years now and I am finally getting one. By the end of this week, I'll have an IPT Diamond in my garage.

I share in your joy. It feels like Christmas when you were a kid, doesn't it?

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smittie1984 said:
Last week I bought a table from a buddy of mine.

Cool, now you have a place to fold laundry, and your wife can pile a ton of useless stuff on it.

Jim

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimBo said:
Cool, now you have a place to fold laundry, and your wife can pile a ton of useless stuff on it.

Jim

Actually the laundry room is upstairs in the bonus room. And I have no wife. Live at home with parents.

What I might end up doing is putting a 10ft Gandy snooker that our shop has in my bonus room. It probably will piss off my parents but we are wasting all that space with this just being a computer room.

I don't know what I'll do if I get a Carom. Maybe put it in our den. However they might finally kick me out then.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Smittie,

Congratulations! You will love having your own table. I did not realize you were so young, as your posts show a much greater maturity level. I read some of your blog and I loved the one about your dog, Riley. You are ok in my book!

mattman

Silver Member
Congrats on the table. I have a GCIII myself which has been broke down for almost 10 years now. I am finally turning the 25' X 30' garage into a large living/billiards room. I am so excited I could poop!!! I have new cushions, pockets, cloth and balls for the table....I also have a new Predator P2 on order.

With you being a table mechanic, have you ever taken off the wood grain laminate off the top of the rails and replace it with a different material? I was thinking of doing that and replacing it with an oak veneer, but not sure yet....just an idea.

What do ya think?