Where was Simonis when I used to play?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
competitively that is! I mean I used to travel to a lot of pool halls in the 60's and 70's until I started staying closer to home, and usually just played on that thick wool green cloth. I know Simonis has been around since the 1600's, but I don't remember anyone talking about it back then or playing on it unless they just made thick stuff then or maybe it was in Europe?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Simonis didn't become commonplace in the US until the early 90s. If you played pool in the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc, you played on wool Brunsco, possibly Mali. It was heavier, napped cloth.

All the best,
WW

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis didn't become commonplace in the US until the early 90s. If you played pool in the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc, you played on wool Brunsco, possibly Mali. It was heavier, napped cloth.

All the best,
WW

Thank You!!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
competitively that is! I mean I used to travel to a lot of pool halls in the 60's and 70's until I started staying closer to home, and usually just played on that thick wool green cloth. I know Simonis has been around since the 1600's, but I don't remember anyone talking about it back then or playing on it unless they just made thick stuff then or maybe it was in Europe?
Forstmann and JP Stevens are two more quality pool table cloth manufacturers that come to mind from the 1970s and 1980s.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I MISS the old-school cloth. It was slower and you could STROKE the cue ball. Also with it being directional you had to know what the "grain" did to both speed and banks. I remember when 760 first came out. It was like playing on ice. Nobody liked it so they came out with 860 and it was better but i still like the old stuff. Could Simonis make a "960"? A worsted that was old-style slower??

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 1970s we put Simonis on the pool table in the Frat house.

One brother (code named Doodle) specified it to the house and was accepted. He also master minded a rebuild of the slats under the slate we did in 1974 (first time done on a table in use since 1913.)