And Corey makes five.................

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully they learned that this process of narrowing down a list with bootcamps doesn't work. Shane was out and then back in. Justin Bergman, US's second-best player, is out. Corey was cut, and then put back in. Clearly this didn't work.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully they learned that this process of narrowing down a list with bootcamps doesn't work. Shane was out and then back in. Justin Bergman, US's second-best player, is out. Corey was cut, and then put back in. Clearly this didn't work.

You'll have that in a small town with no sheriff!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

If your goal is to find the top 5 players, it didn't work. But I don't think that was his goal anyway, since our top 5 don't have a chance regardless, and had that been his goal it would be real easy to do simply by looking at the FargoRate ratings or tournament results for the year. However, if your goal is to see who is trying to improve and is actually putting in the work to meet that goal, and who is open to coaching, and who still has the strong desire and passion to represent and win, and who would make a good teammate for a cohesive supportive team, etc, then his process would clearly seem to be better.

I think he essentially wants people that still care and still have a passion and are trying to push themselves to improve, because he knows that our top 5 is never going to be good enough without improving so why just try to pick the top 5 who are never going to win anyway when it would seem to make far more sense to instead try to improve? Whether his strategy works out or not remains to be seen with some time, but based on what he appears to be trying to accomplish, his method of choosing is probably best for that.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
experience is never bad and you can't argue with his fargo rating. corey is still going strong

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your goal is to find the top 5 players, it didn't work. But I don't think that was his goal anyway, since our top 5 don't have a chance regardless, and had that been his goal it would be real easy to do simply by looking at the FargoRate ratings or tournament results for the year. However, if your goal is to see who is trying to improve and is actually putting in the work to meet that goal, and who is open to coaching, and who still has the strong desire and passion to represent and win, and who would make a good teammate for a cohesive supportive team, etc, then his process would clearly seem to be better.

I think he essentially wants people that still care and still have a passion and are trying to push themselves to improve, because he knows that our top 5 is never going to be good enough without improving so why just try to pick the top 5 who are never going to win anyway when it would seem to make far more sense to instead try to improve? Whether his strategy works out or not remains to be seen with some time, but based on what he appears to be trying to accomplish, his method of choosing is probably best for that.

It didn't work by whatever criteria he was using, because in two cases, players were out that he later ended up picking.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
experience is never bad and you can't argue with his fargo rating. corey is still going strong
Exactly. McMinn has a higher FR(16 vs. 52) and a LOT more experience than Steyer. At Bigdogs this summer he beat not one but two top Filipino's to win the event. Believe what you want but more is involved in the picks than just the obvious.

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Im just trying to understand some criteria here...SVB told the whole team and process to go finger bang itself while he goes fishing then says give me the free check and they say okay. Meanwhile you have guys like Corey and Tyler Styer who both have some character issues but are perceived to be dedicated to the team so they get on.

You leave off Oscar though for being a family man and gambling to put food on the table. That ladies and gentlemen is why pool sucks and we will keep getting drilled. I got my receipts together too so don't debate me just know the decision making isn't consistent.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im just trying to understand some criteria here...SVB told the whole team and process to go finger bang itself while he goes fishing then says give me the free check and they say okay. Meanwhile you have guys like Corey and Tyler Styer who both have some character issues but are perceived to be dedicated to the team so they get on.

You leave off Oscar though for being a family man and gambling to put food on the table. That ladies and gentlemen is why pool sucks and we will keep getting drilled. I got my receipts together too so don't debate me just know the decision making isn't consistent.
You got that right. I've been told by more than one person close to this whole deal that even after JR makes his picks that Matchroom still has input/say on who plays. What's that phrase divorce lawyers like so much? "Its complicated". Just a tad.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
MWST event this weekend....I got Oscar to finish better than Tyler....window is open send me a PM.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Apparently USA has picked the wrong coach and the wrong players...According to AZ'ers...How can they be so stupid?...Why didn't they come to these experts here on AZ and let them pick the team...Then we would win this time for sure...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Corey Deuel is the only team member this year that has a winning record in the Mosconi.
.....and last chosen?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Corey Deuel is the only team member this year that has a winning record in the Mosconi.
.....and last chosen?
Corey was a great pick IMO. The only player that I would question is Tyler. As others have said, his Fargo Rate (= skill level) is just too low. Now maybe Tyler has exhibited some characteristics of learning and improving his skills very fast and he has shown an ability to play short matches very well under extreme pressure? Not sure, but Tyler definitely appears to be a solid player. Hopefully he digs down deep when it counts and comes away with a winning record.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I wouldn't have picked Tyler personally. I might not have even picked SVB (has always been incapable of playing well at Mosconi and really adds nothing else to the team). My picks for some of the other 3 might have been a bit different. But people are acting like there isn't room for judgement and opinion on a combination of someones skill, drive, willingness to train, attitude, openness to coaching, passion, professionalism, ability to be a team player, etc, and the importance of each for that matter. Johan has a different judgement that you and I do. So what? It doesn't mean he has all these ulterior motives that are getting thrown around. It's like all the conspiracy theory guys have come out of the woodwork with all their pet conspiracy theories. Maybe his judgement is even "wrong". Still doesn't mean he has ulterior motives. The dude just has a different opinion than you do, that's all. Differences in judgement or opinion tend to happen between any two or more people.