Floor Support

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9-foot table in my basement. I'm moving to NC, and it seems that most houses don't have basements. I once had an 8-foot table on the second floor of my house, and it had a tendancy to bounce a bit. What do people do to make sure the floor has enough support and doesn't bounce?

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Alan said:
I have a 9-foot table in my basement. I'm moving to NC, and it seems that most houses don't have basements. I once had an 8-foot table on the second floor of my house, and it had a tendancy to bounce a bit. What do people do to make sure the floor has enough support and doesn't bounce?

Alan - I'm in NC (just North of Charlotte) and yes, very few homes have basements. They do have bonus rooms, usually located above garages. My home has one and I wouldn't feel safe having any table over 7' on that floor with the "bounce" as you describe. It's over a two car garage and no other support other than the floor joist. I have installed for people that actually planned for it and had their builder put extra support and even a few that had steel beams put in. It will depend upon what your builder put in the floor or if you are building, bring it to their attention. Many homes here have rooms large enough to put tables on the ground floor on the slabs. Mine is, if I could get my wife to agree......but fat chance! I'm looking for a table right now but I have to convert one side of my garage to accomodate it.

Let me know where in the state you're headed and perhaps if I can't help, I can send you in the right direction for service.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A steel I-beam (or two) supported by jack screws might be able to be worked into existing construction, depending what is underneath the room you want to put the table in.

Not terribly expensive, and you dont have to rip out floors or ceilings. Need a good footing, though.

LCCS

Silver Member
support

First you will have to measure your floor spand. Then find out what your joist are made of and the measurements of them. I am in the construction field and when you find these out i can give you more info.
Thanx, Ron www.lccsbilliards.com

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all. I'm going up to the Research Triangle Park area next weekend and have a better idea of the type of house I will get. I'm sure I'll have more questions/comments when I return.

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a house for sale in the RTP area where I had the attic custom finished to hold my 9ft Diamond Pro. It's on the 3rd floor and no problems with the floor....had an structural engineer inspect and sign off on the weight.

-Phillip

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Ron-

Which is stronger, 2x12 floor joists or 2x4 floor trusses?

My dad is having a home constructed and he has a bonus room over the garage with the floor truss work, and a bonus room upstairs with the 2x12 floor joists.

LCCS

Silver Member
stronger

It depends on what you are using them for. It depends on the spand and how they are assembled.If you are talking in a basement.Then i would use 2x12 spanded on a double Lamibeam with metal poles supporting the beam.
I hope i answered you question.
Thanx, Ron

parismango

Banned
i've recently taken residence in an old brick pre-war building.
my living room is 18 x 25 , i'm considering a brunswick gold crown 4 .
the total weight of furniture pulled from room equals table weight , support shouldn't be a problem.
any opinions? - pro's , con's?

Last edited: