Do you all DO THIS? I'm sure a few of you do, I've seen you

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When practicing I will put balls into place with the shaft. On two occasions in my life have I ever raked the balls in frustration during a match. I will never consider it a viable method to gather balls to put in the tray or to rerack during breaking practice. I will take the scant few seconds necessary to gather them by hand.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP:

That is one of the reasons I bought a revo shaft. I (thus far) don't have to worry about such things.

Time will tell.

Rake

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Nope.

I have positioned the cue ball with the ferrule before the break using a house cue.

I enjoy walking around the table as I fear someday I will not.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how many of you walk into a poolroom, or your basement, bring out your nice cue, and play a nice afternoon or evening of pool with league mates or friends or just practice for the day, and as your racking up balls, or trying to gather balls to be racked, you use the shaft of your pool cue to do it? How many of you all use the cue to collect balls, put balls in position, etc? I'm pretty certain that's the cause of dents on the shaft (among the other abuses the cue may encounter). After playing pool for so long, do you find that this behavior is subconscious? Do you catch yourself doing it? Does it not bother you? Or maybe I'm wrong as far as balls causing dents on cues.
I don't do it - plain and simple. I just have way too much invested in my cues and try to keep them in perfect shape. That's precisely why I've learned to never let anyone try out my cue, because they will by habit do just what you are describing, without thinking.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Earl and other pros do it. Must not be a problem for them.

Heck, we have all seen Earl whack the hell out of the shaft on the rails of the table when he screws up a shot. I'm not going to intentionally dent my shaft, but I'm not going to baby it either, never had an issue with using it to gather balls for re-shooting a shot over and over again.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope.

I have positioned the cue ball with the ferrule before the break using a house cue.

I enjoy walking around the table as I fear someday I will not.
Love your quote!!
I treat my gear really well and sometimes scratch my head wondering how I get the smallest ding on my shaft. I refuse to add to this by being rough. I too will continue to walk around the table to collect balls and such!!!

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do it too. I am of stupficcient intileck to know not to do it with force though.

I will also caution all: when drinking any liquid, when placiin class, cup or mug down, make sure the open end if facing up.

And never drink from “that”side of the cup, either!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seldom

If I do it, which is seldom, I am gentle. About the only time I do it is when I am to lazy to walk around the table.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was Appleton moving the cue ball with his shaft and it got away from him. I mean it took off, to his credit, he displayed immediate fencing skills and after a battle royal, he kept the cue ball from hitting another ball. Him and Alex laughed hard and it was very funny.

It is worth looking for on You Tube and is all the more reason to use your hands when possible.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I dont really rake the balls with my cue but I will move a ball that I can not reach with my cue. I use the end of the shaft, the last 1 or 2 inches. I am OCD when it comes to my cue. Dents, nicks, any roughness, chalk on ferule, etc is all not allowed on my cue. I have never smacked my cue on the table in frustration. I wipe the cue down before it goes back to bed every time. I dont feel I need to change my habits as I am not causing damage. One habit I do have is letting my cue bounce on the bumper while I am holding it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how many of you walk into a poolroom, or your basement, bring out your nice cue, and play a nice afternoon or evening of pool with league mates or friends or just practice for the day, and as your racking up balls, or trying to gather balls to be racked, you use the shaft of your pool cue to do it? How many of you all use the cue to collect balls, put balls in position, etc? I'm pretty certain that's the cause of dents on the shaft (among the other abuses the cue may encounter). After playing pool for so long, do you find that this behavior is subconscious? Do you catch yourself doing it? Does it not bother you? Or maybe I'm wrong as far as balls causing dents on cues.
Damn, how hard do you rake 'em?? I move balls around with my cue ALL the time and have NEVER dented a shaft doing it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iv'e done it for over 40 years and never got a dent doing it. However, I learned long ago that if you lean your cue against a table with an edge to it, it will leave a dent very easily.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never use my cue to rake the balls. If I notice somebody doing this I take a mental not to never let them use my cue...lol
I have drop pockets and after each game I get the balls out of the pockets...any balls still on the table get gently pushed toward the rack area.
I've had the same playing cue for about 12 years and no dents.

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iv'e done it for over 40 years and never got a dent doing it. However, I learned long ago that if you lean your cue against a table with an edge to it, it will leave a dent very easily.

Really? I never knew that. Not that i lean my cue against the table. But its good to know. You learn something new everyday.

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont really rake the balls with my cue but I will move a ball that I can not reach with my cue. I use the end of the shaft, the last 1 or 2 inches. I am OCD when it comes to my cue. Dents, nicks, any roughness, chalk on ferule, etc is all not allowed on my cue. I have never smacked my cue on the table in frustration. I wipe the cue down before it goes back to bed every time. I dont feel I need to change my habits as I am not causing damage. One habit I do have is letting my cue bounce on the bumper while I am holding it.

LOL the people that knowingly smashed their cue on the floor aggressively(bumper side), when someone makes a really nice shot, to distract the opponent, or they just like bouncer the bumper end of the cue on the floor (Maybe its therapeutic). LOL

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL the people that knowingly smashed their cue on the floor aggressively(bumper side), when someone makes a really nice shot, to distract the opponent, or they just like bouncer the bumper end of the cue on the floor (Maybe its therapeutic). LOL

That's not to distract the opponent. It comes from 3 cushion and is an acknowledgement of respect for a nice shot. It is done so as not to talk, which might disrupt your opponent.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Meh. I rake the balls sometimes. Never dent my cue. Unless your cue is fiberglass, I wouldn't worry too much.