Meucci Myth

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played with a Meucci 97-8 for just shy of 20 years. I’ve been regaled with stories of how much spin a Meucci puts on the ball ever since I first got it. Everyone told me it was because of the flex in the shaft. Early last year it dawned on me the significance of shaft size. My shaft was 13mm and had a chance to try a stick with <13mm. I had no idea what that was. I thought I was handed a snooker cue (naive). I then bought a 1986 McDermott D6 with 12.75mm shaft and have used that the past year. Now as I know the feel of that and have learned more about LD shafts. I wonder this. Do most players think all Meuccis are super flexible when in truth their perceptions were formed from anecdotes of when Meucci started releasing LD shafts? Because I now have a hard time thinking of ANY 13mm shaft as flexible. It’s like stroking with a tree trunk when I pick it up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. Moochie shafts were whippy for decades prior to LD shafts.

Dale(who was there)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Moochie shafts were whippy for decades prior to LD shafts.

Dale(who was there)

That helps. It matches what someone else said. Is your experience that it was the case with pre-80s shafts? Is it fair to say a base model Meucci shaft from 90s onward aren’t reflective of what originated the reputation?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That helps. It matches what someone else said. Is your experience that it was the case with pre-80s shafts? Is it fair to say a base model Meucci shaft from 90s onward aren’t reflective of what originated the reputation?

The only reason they “create more spin” is off the object ball.....because they throw the cb so much.....if I do the straight in trick shot center diamond end rail with ob and cb straight ahead in the center of the box and shoot the cut off the rail with spin....

My 90s gambler and original sneaky both played that shot with a 3/4 ball over lap and a few tips side.

My hueblers shoot that shot at like 5/16 cuz it’s not quite half or a third....schons are about there or were or just a tad stiffer.

Cues I shoot with today I just aim at the ob right edge no overlap one tip left english ⭕

Disappears.

Believe it or not I broke the ferrule and the tennon was screwed.

I put it on my wood lathe and carefully took it down and used a 1” piece of live oak.....lol I was 16 I didn’t have no dam ageis or know how to find material like that.

And instantly the cue played less like chit

I could aim it straighter to where the ball was actually going I do remember taking the part that snapped and cutting it in half and the tennon was my first sight at the often found meucci glue voids in that 10 foot ferrule they got 🤣

True story scouts honor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My comments were in reference to pre 80s.

Wasn't the 90s the era of the notorious 'flex shafts'?

Dale

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I’ve played with a Meucci 97-8 for just shy of 20 years.
My first cue was a Meucci, but I haven’t played with one in more than 20 years. I didn’t know about stiffness then, so never noticed, even when I switched to a Schon.

I’ve been regaled with stories of how much spin a Meucci puts on the ball ever since I first got it. Everyone told me it was because of the flex in the shaft.
My cue for the past 15+ years is a 10mm hollowpoint custom - stiff as hell with a conical taper and ultra low squirt. Puts the same amount of spin on the ball. I don’t think any cue, whippy or not, makes more spin than any other. Tests bear that out. It’s all about where you hit the CB.

pj
chgo