More brokedown billiards tails.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So You guys will probably hear more tales about my adventures in playing pool on bar tables so be prepared for more threads about said topic. Anywho I just got back from playing pool at a truck stop. They had 2 tables both on free play. No bridge. Cloth was very well worn as it had small tears in it along with the white dots I have come to know. No beer stains this time. So far things I have seen before.

But the big reason I am making this post was the balls. They were so worn that the stripe balls were almost looking like cue balls. The solids had no numbers on them. They were just red or yellow etc. Not sure if they bought them that way to replace the original solids or if the numbers had worn off. Also the ball I was using as the cue ball I am not even sure it was a cue ball. Because when I pocketed the cue ball it would come out in the area where the rest of the balls came out.

Anywho have you guys seen similar?

Thanks

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The crappiest table I ever played on was in a motel lobby in Grafton, WV. There was only one cue that had a tip on it so I grabbed it. It looked like a mushroom. Anyway the table had so much beer spilled over the years that the cloth ramped up to each pocket. Some with a couple or three little ripples on the way in. Pocket speed was at banger power.

Truth is I was returning from a long motorcycle tour when I slammed into a massive thunderstorm. I was happy to find this crappy motel half a block from a KFC. I had a pretty good time meeting the challenge of the table. Oh yeah, the cue ball looked like the moon, cratered up and all.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the tables are "schitty" because vertically challenged people try to stretch across the table with the tipless cue and without the missing bridge and rip up the cloth.

What's with the worthless snark?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's on a mission to search out the absolute worst places to play a game and then act astonished that they're schitty tables.

Would the VFW or American legion or Moose lodge or TREA have better tables? We have one pool hall and those are some of the places other than bars I can think to play. Also pool hall closed today.

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the tables are "schitty" because vertically challenged people try to stretch across the table with the tipless cue and without the missing bridge and rip up the cloth.

What's with the worthless snark?

Its not my fault my boobs or beer gut get in the way of me playing pool. I meen I have a keg or size h boobs.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you ca reach every shot in pool on a 7 foot table without stretching to far and such?

Couple more solutions; switch hit or poke at stuff one handed. if you have to do the latter it's probably a duck anyway. If it's too critical, shoot something else. And as mentioned, those moose racks are very handy. You can even hold 'em as is for elevation or thrills or whatever...

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaime, how the hell are you locating these places? Truck stops, with two tables, on free play? If you aren't buying fuel, do they break your arm?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaime, how the hell are you locating these places? Truck stops, with two tables, on free play? If you aren't buying fuel, do they break your arm?

Not sure what you mean exactly. I just type in google bars and where I live and call them and ask if they have pool tables. I then show up and play pool. Why would they break my arm? I am a customer. Well kind of a customer. I mean I just want to play pool at 11 am in the morning. I just got lucky normally its $1.50 to play pool.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A truck stop is not a bar, and any place with tables on free play, is a rarity. Hence, my question. I assume you are being considerate, and purchasing something. The Moose Lodge you referred to earlier, is your best bet. Nice Gold Crown, still in good shape.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A truck stop is not a bar, and any place with tables on free play, is a rarity. Hence, my question. I assume you are being considerate, and purchasing something. The Moose Lodge you referred to earlier, is your best bet. Nice Gold Crown, still in good shape.

The truck stops I am familiar with have a bar and restaurant. Do all moose lodges have such pool tables? I am going to assume our moose lodge will have a valley bar box like every other place I have been too. I would purchase pool or maybe a drink sometimes but not this time.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The truck stops I am familiar with have a bar and restaurant. Do all moose lodges have such pool tables? I am going to assume our moose lodge will have a valley bar box like every other place I have been too. I would purchase pool or maybe a drink sometimes but not this time.

Last I played at your Moose it had a Gold Crown, maybe two.

Way better than Flying J.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Locally, several years back, there was a great action place called Whitey's (Sandwich Shop) here in Charleston WV. A lot of great players came through over the years. The place closed down when Whitey died. Eventually it was leased out and became a VFW biker bar. The 9ft table had been taken out, but the two 8ft Diamond tables were still in the place, and some fool painted them flat black and put dark bluish purple shag felt on them.

Well, the placed closed down and now the lady that owns it (Whitey's wife) is going to reopen it again. Not sure what the new name will be, but I've been playing over there about once a week over the last couple of months with 2 or 3 other players. It's not an open business yet, still being remolded a bit. But both tables are now back to their original wood grain, no more black paint, and both have Simonis cloth.

I was a bit broken hearted when I first walked in a couple of months ago. It was the first time I'd been there since the Whitey passed away. One of the tables had already been stripped of the black paint and had been recovered with Simonis. The other was still flat black with dark shaggy felt. It was weird looking at that table in that state, thinking of the great players that had once played on it...Baltimore Red, Larry Price, Danny Brown, Shannon Daulton, Andy Stanley, Roger Whitey, etc.... A lot of good action and good times on that corner table. And I remember thinking it was now so ugly that most of those guys wouldn't even piss on it, much less play on it.

Anyhow, both tables are back to normal, clean wood grain, nice Simonis cloth, new balls.... The old place is looking good. :)

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
.... They were so worn that the stripe balls were almost looking like cue balls. The solids had no numbers on them. They were just red or yellow etc. Not sure if they bought them that way to replace the original solids or if the numbers had worn off. ...

Anywho have you guys seen similar?

Thanks

Quite common in the UK ... not so much in South Dakota I would think but who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackball_(pool)

Dave