Can I fix a shaft that is larger in dia. of joint size than the butt

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've ordered a shaft for my Meucci butt, and I did not pay much attention to the size of joint diameter, anyways the place where the shaft is attached to the butt you can feel a difference, as you move your fingers across that area you can see that the shaft is coming out a little bit, which means that the diameter of the shaft is a little bit larger than the butt.

Is there any trick or easy way to fix that other than shipping it to the professional? If there is and I can make the shaft sit flush with the butt, then that would be awesome especially during these times where shipping is a hassle.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it’s straight and plays well I wouldn’t worry about it
I am not a cue maker

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it bothers you, have a local cue repair man turn it down to size. He will also have to refinish the collar. At least it’s over sized and can be taken down. If it was smaller, you wouldn’t be able to get it done at all.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it bothers you, have a local cue repair man turn it down to size. He will also have to refinish the collar. At least it’s over sized and can be taken down. If it was smaller, you wouldn’t be able to get it done at all.

I have seen smaller diameter shaft joints thickened up by some healthy coats of clear coat and then polished.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, it's an easy fix for someone with a lathe.

Where are you located? Maybe someone knows a cue builder in the area.

I have seen smaller diameter shaft joints thickened up by some healthy coats of clear coat and then polished.

I'm about to do this myself.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does not affect playability at all. However, depending on what type of joint collar you have, that may have to be replaced if it cannot simply be turned down and repolished. No one can guarantee an "easy" fix until it is in the hands of a competent cue maker/ repair person.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do roll straight together, and it doesn't bother me too much but I just think it will be neat if they sit flush together.

Yes the shaft is larger than the butt as I said, but thing is, there's a ringwork, meucci design around the shaft which look very nice, I'm scared of tuning down the shaft myself, maybe I ruin the ringwork.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrap a turn or two of electrician's tape (or other tape) around the portion of the butt that meets the shaft; that may well lessen your noticing of (and unconsciously fingering) a difference.

Arnaldo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do roll straight together, and it doesn't bother me too much but I just think it will be neat if they sit flush together.

Yes the shaft is larger than the butt as I said, but thing is, there's a ringwork, meucci design around the shaft which look very nice, I'm scared of tuning down the shaft myself, maybe I ruin the ringwork.
Don't worry about it. Tryin to fix it it could likely f%^k it up.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
just sand it down while spinning it with your hands or on your leg.
it wont have any poly on it but so what. you could do that if you wanted.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Learn to ignore it. My cue has been that way for 20 years - I haven't noticed it in 19 11/12 years.

pj <- also don't notice the dings
chgo

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn to ignore it. My cue has been that way for 20 years - I haven't noticed it in 19 11/12 years.

pj <- also don't notice the dings
chgo

I’ll use this advise thanks all for other advises as well.

Although can you show me a pic of your joint connected to that shaft I’m curious to see if it’s the same issue that I got which I’ll learn to ignore

If it’s not a hassle ofcourse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A mismatched joint is a large problem for those who play with their chin actually rubbing the cue stick during the shot. The joint on a typical pool cue is exactly where it will hit the chin for a lot of people. I think that's why jointed snooker cues have longer shafts and shorter butts.