10 ball rules question from Sigel vs. Strickland accu stats match

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at the 8:10 mark of the match, Sigel calls safe but accidentally makes the combo. The rules state he has to keep shooting but the ball he made remains down. If he accidentally made the 10 ball in such a situation, do they spot the 10 and he would have to keep shooting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gBYEh46IA

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at the 8:10 mark of the match, Sigel calls safe but accidentally makes the combo. The rules state he has to keep shooting but the ball he made remains down. If he accidentally made the 10 ball in such a situation, do they spot the 10 and he would have to keep shooting?

I doubt that would be the case, the option to make the other player shoot is on the opponent. If you call safe but make a different ball or the ball into a different pocket the opponent can take the shot or give it back. I guess the opponent can make the other player shoot again if the cueball was in a bad spot and they thought the opponent had a higher chance to mess up.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that would be the case, the option to make the other player shoot is on the opponent. If you call safe but make a different ball or the ball into a different pocket the opponent can take the shot or give it back. I guess the opponent can make the other player shoot again if the cueball was in a bad spot and they thought the opponent had a higher chance to mess up.

the strange thing about the shot I posted above is that Sigel called safe. I wonder why he had to keep shooting if he didn't call a ball. I've seen it when a guy calls a ball and misses and his opponent can force him to shoot again if he is hooked, but I've never seen a guy call safe and have to keep shooting because he accidentally made a ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the strange thing about the shot I posted above is that Sigel called safe. I wonder why he had to keep shooting if he didn't call a ball. I've seen it when a guy calls a ball and misses and his opponent can force him to shoot again if he is hooked, but I've never seen a guy call safe and have to keep shooting because he accidentally made a ball.

Yes even if you call a safe if you make a ball they can pass it to you. It's to prevent cheap safes where you call some pocket and just shoot the ball into another pocket to leave the opponent hooked.

Like here, it's not too easy to make a legal hit on the 1 and do a safe, but if you call the side and pocket the 1 in the corner it's much easier.

97e6f.png

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes even if you call a safe if you make a ball they can pass it to you. It's to prevent cheap safes where you call some pocket and just shoot the ball into another pocket to leave the opponent hooked.

Like here, it's not too easy to make a legal hit on the 1 and do a safe, but if you call the side and pocket the 1 in the corner it's much easier.

97e6f.png

that makes sense

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

They misspoke on the rule...if you miss your called shot but make another ball, your
opponent has the OPTION to say shoot again.

upindaklub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
footwear

I see Earl went all out and is playing with some fresh Tims. Fashion statement Pearl style.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a couple APA-5s.

they played poorly, but at times, some of their brilliance shone through.

I kind of felt like Earl was playing down to Sigel. Earl has obviously been playing against more top level competition in the past 10 years and had a higher speed than Sigel. I can't remember the overall outcome of the matches (I know Earl won the 8 ball and 10 ball)- I think Earl worked him overall.