Cleaning laminated shaft properly

Santin23

Registered
Hello everyone,

I've bought my first laminated pool shaft few months ago, a Vantage to be specific. So, I've noticed few small dents below the ferrule, therefore I have the following comments:

1.-Is it normal to get those dents? (I've never hit it against anything, I take care of it so much tho). For instance, I used to play 3-Cushions with a longoni S3 laminated shaft and I never got this issue.

2.- How should I clean it properly? (I mean, can I sand it like any other wooden shaft?)

3.- At this moment I just have used a slightly wet microfiber-towel and applied "Silky smooth wax shaft" by Mcdermott). In fact it gets clean easily but I'm concern about dents, I don't like how it feels.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
1. Yes, you, or someone, did.
2. No.
3. Paper towel and Sil Kleen, then damp paper towel, then apply Cue Silk and burnish with copy paper (I have over 25 years exp. with this method, including Pred. & meucci lam. shafts.) Learn how to soak, steam, or "glass rod" dings.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Put it on, take it off, no problems -- 75 to 150 times over 20 years on two types of lam shafts. I have soaked/steamed at least 10 dings out one predator shaft in particular that I drug through the barbox league wars for several years -- good as new.

Don't take my word for it, call Ozone or Pooldawg and speak to a salesman.

Or, better yet, use AZB's search function "using water to clean laminated shafts" or "cleaning laminated shafts".

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I've bought my first laminated pool shaft few months ago, a Vantage to be specific. So, I've noticed few small dents below the ferrule, therefore I have the following comments:

1.-Is it normal to get those dents? (I've never hit it against anything, I take care of it so much tho). For instance, I used to play 3-Cushions with a longoni S3 laminated shaft and I never got this issue.

2.- How should I clean it properly? (I mean, can I sand it like any other wooden shaft?)

3.- At this moment I just have used a slightly wet microfiber-towel and applied "Silky smooth wax shaft" by Mcdermott). In fact it gets clean easily but I'm concern about dents, I don't like how it feels.

Thanks in advance!

If the dents were not there when you first bought it, they don't show up on it's own.

You don't sand ANY shaft, or use abrasives on them.

Should not really need to clean it much as long as your table and hands are clean, I clean my shafts maybe once every few months past wiping them down with a cloth (dry). If they get really dirty for some reason a magic eraser type sponge followed with a microfiber cloth followed by the cue was and some burnishing works great, that that is not a everyday cleaning type thing.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

<snip>If they get really dirty for some reason a magic eraser type sponge </snip>

FWIW, a "magic eraser" is an abrasive. Just not an aggressive one.

For 15 or so years I have only have ever used a damp towel on my predator Z2. Maybe once every 12hrs of play time or so. No warps on any level

Rub with a damp section, immediately dry with another portion.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, a "magic eraser" is an abrasive. Just not an aggressive one.

Yes, but it's probably the safest one to use if things are really dirty on the shaft and to get inside the pores of the wood, and with occasional use. It's a lot easier on the wood than say one of those green brillo pads people like to use. I feel comfortable suggesting it to people that have a really dirty shaft and want to do a DYI cleaning. I would not use something like that on a regular basis.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Magic Eraser sponges are great, especially on ferrules, and now one can buy Magic Eraser sheets. Plus, Mr. Clean is as cool as he ever was. Who knew he was a pool player?

I have not observed any negative effects after many years of conservative use of Magic Eraser sponges. Because Magic Erasers are made of spun melamine foam and the resin used to produce them is "at the microscopic level . . . almost as hard as glass", I will continue to use them sparingly to address "spots" and not for overall cleaning. Or, as some old Greek cats in togas once wrote, "all things in moderation" which, when you think about it, is an appropriate philosophy for all things in life, including cleaning shafts.

Caveat: Most folks know, but, out of caution, I hasten to say: when I talk about "soaking" dings, I am referring to the practice of placing small pieces of damp paper towel on top of a ding and then letting the shaft sit. (I am certainly not advocating sticking the shaft in the mop bucket or laying it in the bathtub.) For the uninitiated, the "soaking" method works on any ding where the wood is simply depressed and not gouged out or removed. The ding absorbs water, swells, and, voila, pops out -- although repeated applications may be required. Again, taking it slowly, especially on a laminated shafts, is advisable.

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the dents were not there when you first bought it, they don't show up on it's own.

Should not really need to clean it much as long as your table and hands are clean, I clean my shafts maybe once every few months past wiping them down with a cloth (dry). If they get really dirty for some reason a magic eraser type sponge followed with a microfiber cloth followed by the cue was and some burnishing works great, that that is not a everyday cleaning type thing.

What does sanding the Shaft with Say 1500 grit on a wood shaft hurt. I remember seeing a post here were a guy used a magic eraser light damp with Alcohol and cleaned shaft to get all the chalk stain , let it dry and then sand lightly with the 1500 grit to raise the grain and then burnish with parchment paper and then followed with a light wood wax made the shaft smooth and slick as glass. What would that hurt. I don’t know that I would do that to a Lam shaft but what would it hurt a wood shaft to do that. Am I missing something. Thanks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does sanding the Shaft with Say 1500 grit on a wood shaft hurt. I remember seeing a post here were a guy used a magic eraser light damp with Alcohol and cleaned shaft to get all the chalk stain , let it dry and then sand lightly with the 1500 grit to raise the grain and then burnish with parchment paper and then followed with a light wood wax made the shaft smooth and slick as glass. What would that hurt. I don’t know that I would do that to a Lam shaft but what would it hurt a wood shaft to do that. Am I missing something. Thanks

High grit sandpaper to clean the shaft once in a while when needed is not really the same as "sanding a shaft". Again it would be a rare cleaning case when really needed not as a weekly thing someone does. Normal cleaning is nothing more than wiping it down a bit, not sanding it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Think about it.

How does sandpaper work?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Use of ScotchBite Scouring Pads and sandpaper for "cleaning" has been responsible for the creation of many "pencil" cues -- if 10 or 11 mm shafts are your thing, then go for it. In all seriousness, I thought cue owners had wised up and ScotchBrites had disappeared from the pool world forever. I haven't seen or thought about those "green brillo pads" in many years -- do your cues a favor and throw all of the evil things away.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

Yep... damp cloth does the same thing. Just did it a moment ago between shots. Took about 10sec and slick as glass.

Best part... My shaft isn't any smaller and I got to use it within moments of starting the process.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If the shaft was dent-free when it arrived, you somehow put the dents in it. These can be raised by dipping a cue-tip in water and resting it on the dent for 15-minutes, then press back down with the outside of a shot glass.

I use a lightly damp terry towel and rub the shaft until the blue chalk dust is removed. I have a 14 year old 314(-1) which is still straight as an arrow.

After cleaning, I use mothers carnauba wax and place a nice thick coating on the wood. Let dry/cure for 3 hours and then buff to a nice shine. A bit a talc will remove the stickiness.

Santin23

Registered
Thank you guys for all your value comments! I think there are interesting methods I didn't know it, for sure I'll apply them.

Just to update, the shaft was in perfect conditions and brand-new when I purchased it, I swear I've never hit it, so maybe I'm unconsciously rubbing it against the cushion or rail.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys for all your value comments! I think there are interesting methods I didn't know it, for sure I'll apply them.

Just to update, the shaft was in perfect conditions and brand-new when I purchased it, I swear I've never hit it, so maybe I'm unconsciously rubbing it against the cushion or rail.
Its really easy to hit the light or side of table and not really notice it. Doesn't take much to dent maple.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I second garczar -- dings happen without one even knowing. I am thinking that it may be because a shaft is simply one, big, circular "edge" which presents unlimited opportunity for damage. If you are not familiar with soaking, steaming, glass rodding/shot glassing, find folks in your poolhall who own good sticks and ask them or check youtube.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second garczar -- dings happen without one even knowing. I am thinking that it may be because a shaft is simply one, big, circular "edge" which presents unlimited opportunity for damage. If you are not familiar with soaking, steaming, glass rodding/shot glassing, find folks in your poolhall who own good sticks and ask them or check youtube.

I thought it was magic the first time I saw this done on
my predator shaft. Works perfectly.

Good Sam

Registered

Check your case out also. I bought a new Cuetec R360 in December. After a month or so of use, I started to notice dents, so I fixed them (steam, burnish and wax). After the second go round, I took a long hard look at the cheap action case and it turns out that the padding in the case only extended a couple of inches down into the case body. I bought a JB case and haven't had a problem since. Just something to think about.