Danny Green, RIP

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I found out today that Danny Green, tournament player and cue maker, has passed away.

Most in the Northern Virginia and Maryland areas will remember the name. Danny was a ferocious player, won many local tournaments, and with others, went on to run the Planet Pool circuit in the 1990s and 2000s.

Danny was an incredibly fast player, nice guy, and would share knowledge, which not all players do. Most in Northern Virginia and Maryland would remember him. I'm sure JAM remembers Danny.

I go back about 30 years with Danny, 1990, when the only tournament in town was Champions Billiards, in Shirlington, Virginia. That expanded quickly to other pool rooms as they opened. That was a great time for pool in the Mid Atlantic area.

RIP, Danny

All the best,
WW

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, wow.

He's been a good friend of mine for 3+ decades as well.

I literally spoke to him a couple weeks ago and apologized for not being a better friend these last couple years.

I am speechless over this.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Unfortunately, I found out today that Danny Green, tournament player and cue maker, has passed away.

Most in the Northern Virginia and Maryland areas will remember the name. Danny was a ferocious player, won many local tournaments, and with others, went on to run the Planet Pool circuit in the 1990s and 2000s.

Danny was an incredibly fast player, nice guy, and would share knowledge, which not all players do. Most in Northern Virginia and Maryland would remember him. I'm sure JAM remembers Danny.

I go back about 30 years with Danny, 1990, when the only tournament in town was Champions Billiards, in Shirlington, Virginia. That expanded quickly to other pool rooms as they opened. That was a great time for pool in the Mid Atlantic area.

RIP, Danny

All the best,
WW

Saw that the other day, was hoping it was a different Danny Green

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Oh, wow.

He's been a good friend of mine for 3+ decades as well.

I literally spoke to him a couple weeks ago and apologized for not being a better friend these last couple years.

I am speechless over this.

Thanks for talking to me earlier. We remember a friend.

All the best,
WW

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received a call a few days ago informing me of this tragic news. I was shocked. I knew Danny since he was a teenager and we became friends quickly. Though Dan was a fierce competitor I think it is safe to say Danny was a gentle soul. He was always friendly with everyone on and off the table and had the rare ability to take wins and loses with grace..He understood that competition on the pool table was never personal. It was just competition. I never remember seeing him utter an angry word.

Many times he came to me sharing his personal issues seeking my feedback. I sometimes felt like a big brother. He called me less than a week ago and shared a few pool stories from the past. I wish we had taken more time talking of more substantial things. I guess it's the same with all of us. If we knew in advance it may be the last time we talk, each of us would certainly let them know how important they were and are in out lives. Death is such a final thing. As much as we would want to, we can never turn the clock back. I will miss my friend all my remaining days.

With great sadness,

Tom

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny passed away about 5 or 6 days ago. He was living in Maryland, sharing a house with a mechanic, and his roommate woke up to find Danny passed away in bed. Danny does have one sister that I know of, but both his parents have passed. If there is a funeral, memorial, or celebration of life, I will post up the info. Roy's Basement is planning to have a Danny Memorial Pool Tournament, the details of which will be forthcoming.

Here is my post from Facebook: Sad news. Danny Green from Maryland passed away. Danny's contributions to pool was multi-faceted. He was most definitely an action player, a tournament soldier on occasion, a regional tour founder, and a great cue mechanic. Danny also was a cue maker who honed his skills under the tutelage Teddy Harris of Ted Harris Custom Billiard Cues, another native Marylander.

Danny created the Planet Pool Tour in the '90s. I remember attending a tournament in the early 2000s in Maryland where some stranger wearing alligator boots won the event, which I later found out was Scotty Townsend. I attended many of those Planet Pool Tour events in Maryland and the surrounding region. Danny eventually passed over the reins to local pool aficionados who, thankfully, kept the Planet Pool Tour going strong for many years to come.

Finding a photo of Danny is difficult because he liked to fly under the radar and go on the road playing pool. He enjoyed being incognito in the pool world, so much so that he deactivated his Facebook page. He was an old-school kind of road warrior and loved every minute of it. And make no mistake about it; Danny could play. I remember the time he and Max defeated Keith McCready in Silver Spring. It was fast and furious and only hurt a little bit for Team McCready.

I took a hiatus from pool and then reemerged after meeting Keith. We ran into Danny at Bill and Billie's in Glen Burnie—or I guess it changed its name to Jack and Jill's by that time. A proud Danny Green shared with Keith that he was included in the book "Playing Off the Rail," somehow credentialing his pool notoriety. It was kind of sweet to hear him talking about it, and unbeknownst to Keith on that day, Danny pulled me aside to give me sage advice about the pool world I was about to enter. I was a little green.

A short time ago, Danny was involved in a brutal car accident, and he suffered major injuries to his leg which he had not recovered from. Even though I hadn't seen him in a year or two, we spoke on the phone a few times recently. Danny Green will always be one of my good friends in the pool world. We've both come a long way from the early days hanging out on the rail, laughing it up, sharing pool secrets.

Save me a seat on the rail in heaven, Danny. You will be missed.

Attachments

• 121497095_10157851658423020_9205016503366027383_n.jpg
    121497095_10157851658423020_9205016503366027383_n.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 121388778_10218829332589649_3312148941917163502_o.jpg
    121388778_10218829332589649_3312148941917163502_o.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 647
  • 121376118_10157851658473020_5148774531286282500_n.jpg
    121376118_10157851658473020_5148774531286282500_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 664
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 653

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When Danny was with Teddy Harris down in Florida, I did an article on him and Teddy a few years ago. To the best of my knowledge, Danny was one the first to live stream a pool tournament. I knew that he and maybe Carom café were two of the earliest that took advantage of video streaming on the internet. Unfortunately, back then then bandwidth and speeds just couldn’t support live streaming very well, so it didn’t take off for Danny.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny passed away about 5 or 6 days ago. He was living in Maryland, sharing a house with a mechanic, and his roommate woke up to find Danny passed away in bed. Danny does have one sister that I know of, but both his parents have passed. If there is a funeral, memorial, or celebration of life, I will post up the info. Roy's Basement is planning to have a Danny Memorial Pool Tournament, the details of which will be forthcoming.

Here is my post from Facebook: Sad news. Danny Green from Maryland passed away. Danny's contributions to pool was multi-faceted. He was most definitely an action player, a tournament soldier on occasion, a regional tour founder, and a great cue mechanic. Danny also was a cue maker who honed his skills under the tutelage Teddy Harris of Ted Harris Custom Billiard Cues, another native Marylander.

Danny created the Planet Pool Tour in the '90s. I remember attending a tournament in the early 2000s in Maryland where some stranger wearing alligator boots won the event, which I later found out was Scotty Townsend. I attended many of those Planet Pool Tour events in Maryland and the surrounding region. Danny eventually passed over the reins to local pool aficionados who, thankfully, kept the Planet Pool Tour going strong for many years to come.

Finding a photo of Danny is difficult because he liked to fly under the radar and go on the road playing pool. He enjoyed being incognito in the pool world, so much so that he deactivated his Facebook page. He was an old-school kind of road warrior and loved every minute of it. And make no mistake about it; Danny could play. I remember the time he and Max defeated Keith McCready in Silver Spring. It was fast and furious and only hurt a little bit for Team McCready.

I took a hiatus from pool and then reemerged after meeting Keith. We ran into Danny at Bill and Billie's in Glen Burnie—or I guess it changed its name to Jack and Jill's by that time. A proud Danny Green shared with Keith that he was included in the book "Playing Off the Rail," somehow credentialing his pool notoriety. It was kind of sweet to hear him talking about it, and unbeknownst to Keith on that day, Danny pulled me aside to give me sage advice about the pool world I was about to enter. I was a little green.

A short time ago, Danny was involved in a brutal car accident, and he suffered major injuries to his leg which he had not recovered from. Even though I hadn't seen him in a year or two, we spoke on the phone a few times recently. Danny Green will always be one of my good friends in the pool world. We've both come a long way from the early days hanging out on the rail, laughing it up, sharing pool secrets.

Save me a seat on the rail in heaven, Danny. You will be missed.
Great obit. Never met the man but i know i would have liked him. RIP brother.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago when I first started learning 1P I had a trip to the DC area. Danny and I played some cheap 1P, I didn’t know the rules at the time, both of us were using jump sticks and playing some crazy shots. That was some fun 1P. I really enjoyed Danny’s company.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest in peace Danny Green. He was generous to help with my stroke several years ago.

I played him once not knowing he was Danny Green. He introduced himself as "Danny." I found out he was Danny Green halfway into the match and my stroke went in the toilet. My chance of beating him was remote anyway.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to his other pool activities, we also certified Danny Green as a BCA Certified Instructor, many years ago, to add another feather to his cap! RIP Danny Green.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to his other pool activities, we also certified Danny Green as a BCA Certified Instructor, many years ago, to add another feather to his cap! RIP Danny Green.

Scott Lee

Yes we did. Could have been a real good Instructor.
RIP my friend.

randyg

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny was one of many hard core gamblers featured in 'Playing Off The Rail' a great book though not 100% accurate regarding many match-ups and results,

I ran into Danny at Slates in Boynton Beach Fl about 4 years ago. He looked great so I am a bit shocked. RIP Danny.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

I think I was there when that happened.

Danny was very respected (loose translation: feared as a player and a good guy) and well-regarded in the DC area. Sad to hear this, RIP.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally found Danny's obituary. I received many inquiries from friends and pool folk around the country asking where they could pay their tribute. The funeral home is in Herndon, Virginia. I am just glad to know that he was buried and can rest in peace. I was worried that nobody knew how to contact his family, as his mom passed.

The lack of tributes on this funeral home page is kind of sad because I know many folks would have written words of remembrance if they had known where to go.

Source: Daniel Allen Green's Obituary