Gotta Vent!!!

If you are one of those people that would schedule someone to come to there home, then continue to call people to find a better price you CAN KISS MY A$$. I swear to god, I hate people that do this $hit, it is completely ridiculous, inconsiderate, and asburd. And to anyone, that would knowingly undercut a competitor and take work from someone who is scheduled, I hope you get a damned flat tire at the customers house, and since you are a hack with no money, you probably will have to put it on your credit card, I hope the interest rate is high and your too busy buying spray adhesive because a staple gun is too expensive, and you forget to pay the bill and they reposses your expedition you use to move pool tables.

I HATE HACKS!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have no problem passing on overflow work to legitimate people, but not to some, let me undercut everyone because I run my fake business from my expedition, and don't even have people to help me move slate. NO $hit it takes two people to get slate down steps (unless your Glen) there is no need to tell a customer that, it's a no brainer.

In further, please don't reply acting like the "devil's advocate" I don't want to hear it

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
ChrisShanklin said:
If you are one of those people that would schedule someone to come to there home, then continue to call people to find a better price you CAN KISS MY A$$. I swear to god, I hate people that do this $hit, it is completely ridiculous, inconsiderate, and asburd. And to anyone, that would knowingly undercut a competitor and take work from someone who is scheduled, I hope you get a damned flat tire at the customers house, and since you are a hack with no money, you probably will have to put it on your credit card, I hope the interest rate is high and your too busy buying spray adhesive because a staple gun is too expensive, and you forget to pay the bill and they reposses your expedition you use to move pool tables.

I HATE HACKS!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have no problem passing on overflow work to legitimate people, but not to some, let me undercut everyone because I run my fake business from my expedition, and don't even have people to help me move slate. NO $hit it takes two people to get slate down steps (unless your Glen) there is no need to tell a customer that, it's a no brainer.

In further, please don't reply acting like the "devil's advocate" I don't want to hear it

Take a deep breath buddy...I have never gone to a job and had this happen but I have called customers the night before to confirm only to have them tell me they already had the job done cheaper..So I only do 1 job for that day...It just isn't right!

LCCS

Silver Member
hacks

I do not worry about these kind of people, because i usually end up fixing the hacks job and then they have to pay more. I had a guy call me a week or so ago and he is a fellow azer. You no who you are. he asked for prices and we went over everything, i explained everything and he said i will get back with you later in the day. I never received a call back and i could care less. I have plenty of work to do and it speaks for itself. As far as hacks go, there will always be some no matter what work you do. So just calm down and think about what you will charge them when they mess up the table and you will have to go tear it down and do it correct. It is about this time when a grin comes on my face and i say is this the firs time you called me and where did you get my number. I grin from ear to ear and tell the owner that they will have no more problems and i will see them next time. And i always get that call next time. That is why i stay bust enough. Take a day off and relax.
See Ya, Ron

TheTablePro

Silver Member
What goes around comes around! I've had that happen once or twice also but, I also call the night before to confirm. It has happened when a customer needs to reschedule and for whatever reason hadn't called. So, it saved a trip. This is infrequent but, has happened. Most of the time it seems a customer can't wait to have service so generally not an issue.

Those hacks undercutting will get theirs! It doesn't take long for a reputation to hit the crapper but takes longer to build it up.

Robin

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have requests for work all over the country, and I know I'm always working in someone elses backyard, which is why I always try and point out to the customer that I'd like to bring in someone from their backyard to work with me...because when they want the table recovered again....chances of getting me to come back are not really going to happen! I don't like playing billards technician, but I do like working with other mechanics for the purpose of meeting them, and maybe passing on some of my knowlege.

Glen

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I like to call ahead for this same reason. If for whatever reason I've done my part and I show up and the job is already done, the customer is hit with a trip charge. Any other skilled trade charges a trip charge and my gas and time are not free. With service, the trip is included in the price but if that's all you do is make a trip, you bet I charge for that as well.

Another option is if you accept CC's a discalimer about cancellations or a deposit. I don't chose to do this, but they are options to prevent the customer from booking the job with someone else.

On the downside to that, however, those policies might cost you jobs. If someone has to leave a deposit to book you, they might just call another guy that doesn't charge a deposit.

The best policy here in my opinion is to give all customers the best value for their money. I'm not saying you have to be the cheapest in town but if your service is the best then you don't have to be.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
I have requests for work all over the country, and I know I'm always working in someone elses backyard, which is why I always try and point out to the customer that I'd like to bring in someone from their backyard to work with me...because when they want the table recovered again....chances of getting me to come back are not really going to happen! I don't like playing billards technician, but I do like working with other mechanics for the purpose of meeting them, and maybe passing on some of my knowlege.

Glen

I personaly picked up 10-20 % more work from Glen & S.D. Billiards ~Donny ~ personal recomendations to customers for table work. I dont advertise mostly by word of mouth for work. This year I am starting to advertise and throw a bone back to people for refferals.

Craig

Dartman

Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
I like to call ahead for this same reason. If for whatever reason I've done my part and I show up and the job is already done, the customer is hit with a trip charge. ...

Not to be argumentative but if they had someone else do the job then
I don't see how you're going to collect a trip charge.

Besides, if you call the day before I'd think they would tell you that
the job was already done - unless they're a real idiot.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
Dartman said:
Not to be argumentative but if they had someone else do the job then
I don't see how you're going to collect a trip charge.

Besides, if you call the day before I'd think they would tell you that
the job was already done - unless they're a real idiot.

I collect a trip charge like this: "The job's already done? Ok, no problem, all I need then is $75 + $1/mile." (Surprised/pissed look on their face) "Because I still have to pay for the gas and I still have to pay my help for showing up to work and I had to keep this spot clear on the schedule for you."

Like I said, 95% of the time I'll call ahead to confirm and this kind of situation has only come up like twice in my 8 years of doing this. Again, if you called an HVAC guy to come out and then booked another guy and didn't tell the first one you'd get hit with the charge from him too. And out here it seems like you'd get hit with Mileage, feul surcharge, first hour on the clock (because you have to pay his time to drive of course) plus a trip charge. LOL

Dartman

Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
I collect a trip charge like this: "The job's already done? Ok, no problem, all I need then is $75 + $1/mile." (Surprised/pissed look on their face) "Because I still have to pay for the gas and I still have to pay my help for showing up to work and I had to keep this spot clear on the schedule for you."

Like I said, 95% of the time I'll call ahead to confirm and this kind of situation has only come up like twice in my 8 years of doing this. Again, if you called an HVAC guy to come out and then booked another guy and didn't tell the first one you'd get hit with the charge from him too. And out here it seems like you'd get hit with Mileage, feul surcharge, first hour on the clock (because you have to pay his time to drive of course) plus a trip charge. LOL

I'm not saying it's wrong to charge but collecting is another story.
If they pay, good, but if they refuse I don't think it would be worth the hassle and problems.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
Dartman said:
I'm not saying it's wrong to charge but collecting is another story.
If they pay, good, but if they refuse I don't think it would be worth the hassle and problems.

It's well worth trying anyway, because driving to a jobsite and paying help to show up for the day isn't worth it if you don't have work to do.