Anyone ever seen this happen?

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing last night, pull out my Players HXTP01, take the break, and this happened as soon as I made contact with the cue ball.

Attachments

• IMG_0549 (1).jpg
    IMG_0549 (1).jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 907

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
either you have one very hard break of that butt was made with one very unfortunate grain. Hope you weren't injured ....

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
either you have one very hard break of that butt was made with one very unfortunate grain. Hope you weren't injured ....

Nope everyone was safe from the shrapnel...Well everyone but the wall to the side of the table.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yup happened to me when i had moved to Tulsa. Friend had gifted me a NORWELA merry widow. Pin was crooked in my instance and it had a good air gap kinda like yours has. Tho ive seen a few people do this when trying to break like their Vincent on TCOM lmao

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back when Predator cues first came out, my best friend bought one. He had it about a week and was very pleased with it. This guy bought and sold cues frequently, never really dedicated or attached to any fue.
One night while we were playing, just before he broke into a rack of 9ball, he said...."This is the best cue I've ever had.... I can't picture ever selling it." Then he broke and it snapped just like your pic, right in the forearm. He was standing there holding the butt end while the rest of the cue flopped across the table. Predator replaced it.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a follow up.

So I called Cue & Case who is the US distributor for players cues as well as the warranty and service center for them. I explained the situation and they asked me to write a little note explaining what happened, and put it in a box along with the cue, and the receipt and ship it back to them. I honestly did not have high hopes and had pretty much relegated my self to buying a new break cue as I have had this cue for over two years and well over a thousand breaks on it. Either way I did as they requested and shipped the cue back to them along with a short note describing how it happened and a copy of my receipt. Two weeks went by and I did not hear anything from them. How ever yesterday when I got home from work I found a package on my doorstep and inside was a brand new in the factory package HXTP-01 Break cue. To say I was surprised would be an understatement but a very pleasing one to say the least.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a falcon do that only 6 months old. They wouldn't cover it, never bought another product with their name on it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you search the cue maker forum you will see several such cases. Schon and Mezz are among them to note some big name pricey cues. The Schon was not cored. The Mezz was cored but the core was off center with big gaps and some kind of "filler" adhesive around it.

Glad this case turned out well.

I have never seen this happen to a Joss Thor Hammer. Has anybody?

Even with a straight pin, no voids, and perfect joint faces a cue can break like this if there is grain runoff below the joint. I have seen it happen to a cue that fell over and landed flat on a carpeted floor.

A good cue maker should be selecting wood with such things in mind IMHO.

Also, coring can help reduce damage from lateral forces I would think.

If I remember correctly, George Balabushka prefer ed nice straight grain in his forearms. I suspect he knew a thing or two. And grain isn't the same as figure.