Best Pro Players

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does great cue ball control mean great speed control or great angle management?

If we're talking angle management alone, the best I've ever seen were Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet, but the best today is probably Wu Jiaqing.

If we're talking speed control alone, the best ever was certainly Reyes, but as he has been excluded from the conversation, I'd have to go with Alex Pagulayan, Steve Mizerak and Nick Varner as the best ever, with Dennis Orcullo the best today.

If we combine speed control and angle management, it gets more difficult, but I think Buddy Hall might just deserve the nod as the best ever. I'm not sure anyone has ever had a better cue ball than Buddy.

My list of five is:

Buddy Hall
Nick Varner
Steve Mizerak
Ralf Souquet
Alex Pagulayan

My list for the best five right now is:

Wu Jiaqing
JL Chang
Dennis Orcullo
Justin Bergman
Alex Pagulayan

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't know about 5 but Dennis Orcullo and Alex Pagulayan are my favorites. It seems like once they in-line they are nearly perfect on position play. They both have turned the game into a science.

The one who dazzled me in his prime was Jose Parica. I watched him play up close several times. It seemed like he could get anywhere from anywhere effortlessly. His mastery of spin and creativity was equal to Efren's.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Buddy Hall never shot a difficult shot.

Buddy said something like...why play position when you are already inline. I don't remember the exact quote, but something to that effect. I think what he was referring to was KISS (keep it simple stupid). Anyone agree?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a way to find out in 20 minutes or less... :wink:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday watched Darren Appleton's 200 ball run vs Bustamante in 2013 W 14.1 - Darren's speed control during that run was amazing- his patterns were not perfect- but he landed almost perfectly on every single break shot - If he wanted to seriously continue that run after the match was over (200 point match) - I think his zone was such that anything was possible that day. i believe that he had another match that night- so that may be why he just sort of stopped at that point.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Five best...all pro Snooker and/or Chinese 8 ball players

Ronnie OSullivan
Neil Robertson
Mark Selby
Gareth Potts
Ding Jhui

Leaving out Judd Trump, Mark Allen ...they are still getting there. However hard to beat Judds control at 6:20 of the frame to get back on to the open red.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljmbg0jb7VI

Mark Williams ‘was’ the best up until a few years ago. John Higgins more of a strategist. Best cueball control ‘ever’...Steve Hendry.

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike sigel,nick varner,jim rempe,steve mizerak,buddy hall. Besides cue ball control these guys were best all around players in my life time.

Pangit

Banned
Five best...all pro Snooker and/or Chinese 8 ball players

Ronnie OSullivan
Neil Robertson
Mark Selby
Gareth Potts
Ding Jhui

Leaving out Judd Trump, Mark Allen ...they are still getting there. However hard to beat Judds control at 6:20 of the frame to get back on to the open red.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljmbg0jb7VI

Mark Williams ‘was’ the best up until a few years ago. John Higgins more of a strategist. Best cueball control ‘ever’...Steve Hendry.

Hard to disagree with this assessment. Kyren Wilson ain't bad either.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're talking 9Ball, Buddy Hall played the best position period. Id put Sigel number 2. No one has mentioned Parica who played excellent position.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How come no-one mentioned Cesar Morales?
Or Walter Lindrum.

I wonder if anyone here saw Walter other than from old films. I've seen Cesar many times, and he has to be near the top.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does great cue ball control mean great speed control or great angle management?

If we're talking angle management alone, the best I've ever seen were Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet, but the best today is probably Wu Jiaqing.

If we're talking speed control alone, the best ever was certainly Reyes, but as he has been excluded from the conversation, I'd have to go with Alex Pagulayan, Steve Mizerak and Nick Varner as the best ever, with Dennis Orcullo the best today.

If we combine speed control and angle management, it gets more difficult, but I think Buddy Hall might just deserve the nod as the best ever. I'm not sure anyone has ever had a better cue ball than Buddy.

My list of five is:

Buddy Hall
Nick Varner
Steve Mizerak
Ralf Souquet
Alex Pagulayan

My list for the best five right now is:

Wu Jiaqing
JL Chang
Dennis Orcullo
Justin Bergman
Alex Pagulayan

I agree 100%, and I never (almost) agree 100%.

Buddy Hall has the best ball control of anyone I have ever seen.

Ken

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I think better question would be "5 most consistent players with great cue ball control" because sometimes we see a guy plays perfect and other tournament disapointing.

My current top 5:

- Liu Haitao
- Filler
- Ko Pin Chang
- Gorst
- Chang Jung Lin