Confused what profile I need for my cushions replacement (pics included)

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last question!

Do you think the Fleetwoods are the original cushion? You took them off, can you judge from taking them off??

TFT
I don't know enough to know and I long since threw them away when I was cleaning up my shop.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The term "Diamondizing" IMO is incorrect and I think it leads people to think that they can do this to their home table and it will play "close" to a Diamond, which is just not the case.

Just a suggestion do your cushion work BEFORE you do your final finishing. GOOD LUCK
TFT

that is where the phrase Diamondizing came from.

.....well, not today, still needs a few coats of matte lacquer.

Attachments

• trent diamond card.jpg
    trent diamond card.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 128

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The term "Diamondizing" IMO is incorrect and I think it leads people to think that they can do this to their home table and it will play "close" to a Diamond, which is just not the case.

Just a suggestion do your cushion work BEFORE you do your final finishing. GOOD LUCK
TFT

Thanks for the tip, I considered doing the cushion work first but right now I have no lacquer on the wood to protect it, if I get glue on anything it will be a nightmare to fix it. At least if I have lacquer protecting it I can easily wipe it off. I do have tape protecting all the surfaces that will be getting glue.

HOWEVER you may have seen I edited my original post to say I bought K66 rubber. But now I am 2nd guessing my choice. Please read on;

1. I wrote Championship about the typo and they said that was a known mistake. He also said it is K55
  2. I found more information that shows K55 rubber goes on rails that are 1-5/8" thick like mine are
  3. K55 subrail angles range from 22° to 25° depending on the manufacture.
  4. K66 ranges from 14° to 17° (this is close to what I have).
  5. K55 back of the rubber width is 1-9/32
  6. K66 back of rubber width is 1-3/16" (very close to what I have)

With that said when I measured the nose height with K66 vs K55 against my rail at the store they were both very close but the K66 seemed closer to what is considered the correct height range of 1-3/8 to 1-7/16" ideal is 1-13/32 (this is now very close to what I have with the staple grove/cloth relief).

Source for K55

Source for K66

I think I am going to just go with the K66 even though I still have conflicting information.

I just want to make sure it plays good.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think you are doing a great job of researching! I also happen to agree with your decision.

I hope everything turns out great for you. Please post pics of your cushion/ facing work! :)

TFT

Thanks for the tip, I considered doing the cushion work first but right now I have no lacquer on the wood to protect it, if I get glue on anything it will be a nightmare to fix it. At least if I have lacquer protecting it I can easily wipe it off. I do have tape protecting all the surfaces that will be getting glue.

HOWEVER you may have seen I edited my original post to say I bought K66 rubber. But now I am 2nd guessing my choice. Please read on;

1. I wrote Championship about the typo and they said that was a known mistake. He also said it is K55
  2. I found more information that shows K55 rubber goes on rails that are 1-5/8" thick like mine are
  3. K55 subrail angles range from 22° to 25° depending on the manufacture.
  4. K66 ranges from 14° to 17° (this is close to what I have).
  5. K55 back of the rubber width is 1-9/32
  6. K66 back of rubber width is 1-3/16" (very close to what I have)

With that said when I measured the nose height with K66 vs K55 against my rail at the store they were both very close but the K66 seemed closer to what is considered the correct height range of 1-3/8 to 1-7/16" ideal is 1-13/32 (this is now very close to what I have with the staple grove/cloth relief).

Source for K55

Source for K66

I think I am going to just go with the K66 even though I still have conflicting information.

I just want to make sure it plays good.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are doing a great job of researching! I also happen to agree with your decision.

I hope everything turns out great for you. Please post pics of your cushion/ facing work! :)

TFT
Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely post pictures of the whole restoration even though I haven't been documenting as well as I should. I'm hesitant to post pictures of the rail and Cushion work only because this is where my amateur status may shin through.

I guess I just have to step up my game.

Last edited: