Government Employee- No Headline

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I'd share this little bit about a man that was a neighbor and a close family friend who passed away in the last month. I believe he was like 264 yrs old ;)

A man who believed in his Country and his ability to serve it.

MAGAZINE ARTICLE
American Banker

OCC's Financial Gumshoe Pro at Tracking Down Scams
By de Senerpont Domis, Olaf
Read preview
Article excerpt
As long as people are willing to invest in too-good-to be- true financial schemes, John W. Shockey will be a busy man.

His title - special assistant to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's director of enforcement and compliance - understates his role. For nearly 20 years, Mr. Shockey has worked behind the scenes to uncover offshore phantom banks, Ponzi schemes, check kiting, fake currency, and other financial scams.

"So long as there are people out there who want to believe in tooth fairies, these kinds of crimes will keep occurring," he said in a recent interview.

At the moment, Mr. Shockey is up to his neck in the flood of fake monetary instruments that militia groups have been cranking out.

Several of these groups, which generally don't recognize established governments and their currencies, have been fleecing investors by selling fictitious instruments promising returns as high as 16%.

"These militias are overworking me," he said in exasperation, removing his glasses and slowly rubbing his eyes.

Mr. Shockey, 73, got his start at the OCC in 1946 as an examiner. His boss, Daniel Stipano, describes him as an institution.

"Not only has he run this operation for the banking agencies, but for the whole government," Mr. Stipano said.

Mr. Shockey shuns the spotlight. He refused to let co-workers throw a party for him this year on his 50th anniversary with the agency, and wouldn't allow American Banker to photograph him for this article.

While Mr. Shockey's job description might conjure up notions of international intrigue and financial paper trails, the crusty OCC veteran insists that his job is far from glamorous.

With a shock of gray hair, a tie with a knot as big as a baseball, and a short-sleeved cotton shirt with an oversized collar, the diminutive Mr. Shockey looks more like a low-rent gumshoe than the Sherlock Holmes of the financial world.

Mr. Shockey said the majority of his sleuthing is done on the phone. In most cases, it involves fielding calls from law enforcement agencies that don't know how to handle complaints of financial fraud.

"I attempt to explain what the scam is all about, because most criminal law enforcement people aren't familiar with financial transactions," Mr. …

SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

MooseKnuckle

Registered
If you join a militia with only 5 people in it, two will be informants or otherwise compromised individuals and the other three are FBI.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that article written in ‘96, B-B?

It was.
And I think re finally stopped working around 2006.

He was the forensic expert in the case against Frank Abagnale, Jr. (Catch Me If You Can)....real world, not movie.

He was also an expert witness in trials for many of the big worldwide financial crimes.