Requesting info on GC 1

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know for sure when 8 foot Pro tables were offered in the Gold Crown 1 series? I see in Brunswick's archives that the 1961 catalog showed 44 x 88 and 50 x 100. I do know with some certainty that my OS-8 was present in the original owner's house in 1967, but the source of that info also said that the table could have been there a few years prior to 1967. My table has adjustable feet and Brunstone. The rails have the heavy nut plates that are installed in a recess cut into the rail behind the cushions. It came to me with an original 1961 installation manual. Sure would like to know the year of my table's manufacture. Back several years ago, when I thought I knew a little about GC's, I had figured it was a 1963, but I don't remember what I based that on. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know for sure when 8 foot Pro tables were offered in the Gold Crown 1 series? I see in Brunswick's archives that the 1961 catalog showed 44 x 88 and 50 x 100. I do know with some certainty that my OS-8 was present in the original owner's house in 1967, but the source of that info also said that the table could have been there a few years prior to 1967. My table has adjustable feet and Brunstone. It came to me with an original 1961 installation manual. Sure would like to know the year of my table's manufacture. Back several years ago, when I thought I knew a little about GC's, I had figured it was a 1963, but I don't remember what I based that on. Thanks in advance for any info.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know as there is no date of manufacture stamp on any of the parts.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
It would be difficult to tell the exact year..

That said, the earliest Gold Crowns had the following:
- Acrylic nameplate (on the head rail)
- Extruded aluminum on the aprons extended full length between the pockets. Later models use shorter sections, approximately 6" in length.
- Solid mounting ears on the aluminum pocket castings, whereas later models thinned out the casting in these areas.
- Non-adjustable feet

Your thought of 1963 may likely have come from the date shown on the aluminum pocket castings. However, that is no guarantee of exact age, as the table could be a couple of years newer.

Note: The use of Brunstone is irrelevant in determining the age of a Gold Crown I.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Brunswick archives seem to be a bit screwed up. Has anyone ever seen a standard 8 foot (44 X 88) Gold Crown? or any of the old Brunswick commercials in 44 X 88 for that matter? I think all the classic commercial Brunswick 8 footers are actually 46 X 92, "Pro 8". Could be wrong, won't be the first time. I had a home table going back to the mid 70's that was 44 X 88, and none of the halls that played at had 44 X 88, most were, if not all, that I played on were 46 X 92.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be difficult to tell the exact year..

That said, the earliest Gold Crowns had the following:
- Acrylic nameplate (on the head rail)
- Extruded aluminum on the aprons extended full length between the pockets. Later models use shorter sections, approximately 6" in length.
- Solid mounting ears on the aluminum pocket castings, whereas later models thinned out the casting in these areas.
- Non-adjustable feet

Your thought of 1963 may likely have come from the date shown on the aluminum pocket castings. However, that is no guarantee of exact age, as the table could be a couple of years newer.

Note: The use of Brunstone is irrelevant in determining the age of a Gold Crown I.
No, I don't recall considering the numbers on the castings. I'm thinking that around 2010 when I was refurbing that table that the opinion on this site was that the adjustable feet were available by '63. That and the 1961 installation manual were probably in my thinking. But, my table does have the short extrusions.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Brunswick archives seem to be a bit Has anyone ever seen a standard 8 foot (44 X 88) Gold Crown? or any of the old Brunswick commercials in 44 X 88 for that matter? I think all the classic commercial Brunswick 8 footers are actually 46 X 92, "Pro 8". Could be wrong, won't be the first time. I had a home table going back to the mid 70's that was 44 X 88, and none of the halls that played at had 44 X 88, most were, if not all, that I played on were 46 X 92.

I may have misused the term archives. I got that table size info from a Brunswick catalog from either 1962 or 1964. Those catalogs are in digital form on the Brunswick webpage.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The Brunswick archives seem to be a bit screwed up. Has anyone ever seen a standard 8 foot (44 X 88) Gold Crown? or any of the old Brunswick commercials in 44 X 88 for that matter? I think all the classic commercial Brunswick 8 footers are actually 46 X 92, "Pro 8". Could be wrong, won't be the first time. I had a home table going back to the mid 70's that was 44 X 88, and none of the halls that played at had 44 X 88, most were, if not all, that I played on were 46 X 92.

I have never heard of a standard 8" Gold Crown 44"x88" (which doesnt mean much) but every GC less than 9' has always been a Pro-8 46"x92"

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have never heard of a standard 8" Gold Crown 44"x88" (which doesnt mean much) but every GC less than 9' has always been a Pro-8 46"x92"

Me either, UNTIL NOW! GARCZAR pointed that out that he heard the new GC6 was actually a standard 44" x 88" and I verified that with my connection at Brunswick as well. 10 week wait on them though, makes me wonder if they really want to build them or not?

TFT

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of screenshots regarding early GC sizes, but can't figure out how to post them.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
They made "mistakes" for sure, we now call them typos. There never has been a GC that I have seen or heard of that has a 44" x 88" playing surface. Posting the pics would be neat. I have searched through their database of old stuff, its very KOOL!

TFT

I have a couple of screenshots regarding early GC sizes, but can't figure out how to post them.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made "mistakes" for sure, we now call them typos. There never has been a GC that I have seen or heard of that has a 44" x 88" playing surface. Posting the pics would be neat. I have searched through their database of old stuff, its very KOOL!

TFT

What I have are screenshots from their catalogs in the early sixties. The catalogs are from the Brunswick web page. In order to post a screenshot on this forum, they ask for the URL of the screenshot.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when Gold Crown I's changed from the full length rail extrusions to the six inch versions? At this point, I am convinced it was prior to 1967.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Me either, UNTIL NOW! GARCZAR pointed that out that he heard the new GC6 was actually a standard 44" x 88" and I verified that with my connection at Brunswick as well. 10 week wait on them though, makes me wonder if they really want to build them or not?

TFT

I can only guess that with the popularity on barboxes that Brunswick is offering smaller tables. But if I remember correctly Brunswick had a pretty nice looking actual barbox.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1f121b0b-6f23-48c3-977d-320018892945

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TFT
Factory in China may be slow due to "The 'Rona".

sellingboe

Does anyone know when Gold Crown I's changed from the full length rail extrusions to the six inch versions? At this point, I am convinced it was prior to 1967.
I would really like to know if anyone can answer this question. My table has adjustable feet, but full length rail extrusions, which leads me to believe that it would be somewhere between 1964 and 1967 based on the supposition above. I'm good with this range if verified as I'm making the room 60s themed. I love my table for what it is and people who come over love playing on it. I just bought pocket reducers for practicing for league and tournaments. Original rubber plays well, so not ready to send away to have rails re-beveled for new rubber but that could come any time I suppose.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would really like to know if anyone can answer this question. My table has adjustable feet, but full length rail extrusions, which leads me to believe that it would be somewhere between 1964 and 1967 based on the supposition above. I'm good with this range if verified as I'm making the room 60s themed. I love my table for what it is and people who come over love playing on it. I just bought pocket reducers for practicing for league and tournaments. Original rubber plays well, so not ready to send away to have rails re-beveled for new rubber but that could come any time I suppose.
Regardless if its a GCI or GCIV they pretty much all look the same except for trim options so any should fit your motiff just fine.